Posts: 14 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Virginia
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
I know you did not used to be able to do mount -o loop on 770 and early n800, losetup used to be there, I have n800 with latest OS, are you running Hacker edition or what OS?

is losetup on you box?
How about something like this?

losetup /dev/loop0 /media/mmc1/XFCE.img
mkfs.ext2 /dev/loop0
mount -t ext2 /dev/loop0 /usr/local
770 with OS2006-49. I already checked, no losetup. Do you know, does this kernel support loop device ? If I can find a binary for losetup will it work ?

In bad form, I am answering myself...
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...?t=3140&page=2

-o loop is not supported by the mount-command on the 770 but somebody from the mailinglist made a binary of losetup which lets you work around that.

So, if I can find or compile losetup, it should work.

Of course, since I am booting from my card and not flash, and I made a 1gb partition, I can just untar the XFCE stuff to usr/local, since I have enough space.

But, I was interested in finding out why the loop device is not working, and not everyone is booting off thier SD card....

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by thel8elvis View Post
In bad form, I am answering myself...
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...?t=3140&page=2

-o loop is not supported by the mount-command on the 770 but somebody from the mailinglist made a binary of losetup which lets you work around that.

So, if I can find or compile losetup, it should work.

Of course, since I am booting from my card and not flash, and I made a 1gb partition, I can just untar the XFCE stuff to usr/local, since I have enough space.

But, I was interested in finding out why the loop device is not working, and not everyone is booting off thier SD card....

Not sure, it looks like your OK, are you runnning? I can try to compile losetup if it can not be found? I thought it was in the firmware at some point I played with it, but I never installed it?

Thanks, for that.

I actually already grabbed it from http://packages.debian.net/sid/mount/armel/download

I just unarchived it and grabbed the losetup binary, and it worked like a champ :-)

of course, now my 770 craps out trying to bunzip/untar.....

So, I untarred everything on my mac, and plugged into USB and am copying the files over....then, I will remount the image and mv them from the card (not in the image) to the image.

Then I will play with XFCE for a few days, and decide I don't need it. What a way to waste time :-)

NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE

I found a small problem in my script, the tarball has been fixed as of right now.

If you installed to mmc1 it created a file in /usr/bin/ called mount1.sh

inside /usr/bin/mount1.sh

Download -> mount.sh

You need to change this
sudo mount -t vfat /dev/mmcblk1p1 /media/mmc1
sudo mount -t vfat /dev/mmcblk0p1 /media/mmc1

to this
sudo mount -t vfat /dev/mmcblk1p1 /media/mmc1
sudo mount -t vfat /dev/mmcblk0p1 /media/mmc2

Sorry, intall script has been updated,

Last edited by penguinbait; 2007-09-14 at 20:21.

Posts: 449 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Eureka, CA
Notice also / (root) has 80MB free, we need about 65MB to install. The install script will download the 61MB file to install XFCE, this may take a long time depending on your connection and the number of others downloading. It will download into the XFCE-INSTALL directory, so wherever you untar it, you need to have 65MB free. You can also download the file manually and place it in this directory, and it will install from there.
I only have 61MB available in root - fresh install of the latest HE on a 770 - nothing except becomeroot and xterm installed. I deleted all of the stock images, documents, music and video. Is there some way around needing 65 mb for the install?

Well you could do this, does the Hacker edition support mount -o loop? Others reported 770 does not, HE is closer to n800 so it may?

dd if=/dev/zero of=/media/mmc1/install.img bs=512 count=209715
mkfs.ext2 /media/mmc1/install.img
mkdir /root/mnt
mount -o loop /media/mmc1/install.img /root/mnt

If you can not do a mount -o loop, the script will not work for you. You will need to follow the the link the late elvis dropped.

Originally Posted by johsua View Post
I only have 61MB available in root - fresh install of the latest HE on a 770 - nothing except becomeroot and xterm installed. I deleted all of the stock images, documents, music and video. Is there some way around needing 65 mb for the install?
red pill mode, nuke the help files. thats 8+ megs right there.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I didn't have enough space in root so I flashed, which gave me lots more. Now XFCE is working nicely.

Edit:

However, after I spent a few hours reinstalling most of my programs, I made the mistake of choosing the menu option that I took to mean start XFCE on bootup. I thought that would be amusing.

It was amusing. I am now perpetually rebooting, which means that I get to reflash the device, reinstall XFCE (If I decide to) and reinstall all the programs I just spent hours reinstalling.

There shouldn't be a "trap door" menu option that forces reinstallation, or it should be marked with a skull and crossbones.

Last edited by geneven; 2007-09-16 at 11:39.