Active Topics

I've had my 770 since release, have had several Blackberries over the last decade, and just got my iPhone. The 770 largely languished for me, despite much of the utility that it offered. It simply crashed too often for me to be able to consider it a necessary item.

The iPhone will actually me $15/month by ditching the blackberry, and give me some more interesting features. It makes a better web browser, if only for the fact that I can have multiple windows running.

As much as I love the 770 and could have gotten an N800, the value of all the extra applications was negated by the size and instability. I hope Apple realizes the opportunities that are available from Nokia's experience in allowing more open development on the device... but I am also hoping they are successful in improving stability over where Nokia stands.

It's going to be interesting to see how the industry develops around these palm-top computers.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by sherifnix View Post
all the limitations that people are citing [with the iPhone] can be corrected with software
Not the sealed battery... which is one of my big sticking points.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
No biggie: Just write a prog that'll make the iPhone's (<spit!>) clock run gradually slower and slower so that its battery appears not to lose any capacity. It'll fool any iPodder out there.

How much does a developer license cost?

In a couple years when the batteries don't work so well anymore iPhone 2 or 3 will be out anyway. I've only been using cell phones for 3 years now and am on my second one. Right now I'm not too impressed with it, but maybe after the first software update, I might like it more. Unfortunetly even being a mac certified technician I still can't get the service manuals for it.

SEARCH! It's probably already been answered.

I just can't look at this as a disposable device.

" Nokia of Finland, whose N95 is probably the closest competitor to the iPhone in the United States, said it also plans a touch-screen cellphone called the Aeon, though the company has not said when it will go on sale."

if the 800 could make calls sans internet, they'd have it. Perhaps this Aeon is the n900.

I just can't look at this as a disposable device.
That's the way Apple rolls. Planned obsolescence. Though to tell the truth, I still have my old original iPod. It still runs, for about an hour.

SEARCH! It's probably already been answered.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by barry99705 View Post
That's the way Apple rolls. Planned obsolescence. Though to tell the truth, I still have my old original iPod. It still runs, for about an hour.
Could this help?

http://geektechnique.org/projectlab/...ash-based-ipod

It's about putting flash in a disc-based pod, but there's some stuff about batteries as well.

I am absolutely no apple fanboy but letīs now look on the iPhone from this side:

1) Itīs been "hacked" ... http://nanocr.eu/2007/07/02/unbricking-the-iphone/ and
http://www.tuaw.com/2007/07/02/tada-...-enabled-ipod/

So, after 4 days of the release, they found out how to use the WiFi/Music capabilitie without registering @ AT&T

2) Itīs still too expensive, but hey, the way you control it is so unique, from the videos Iīve seen it just rocks. (BTW: Iīm a N770 owner and very happy with it!)

3) The battery... When the iPod came out everyone screemed: Noooooo, no replaceable battery! And after a few months, eBay was full with new batteries for the iPod. I swear, you can open that case as easily as the iPod cases. The guys @ their customer service have to do the same when they need to replace it!

4) I guess itīll need another few weeks or months to fully unlock the device. I myself wonīt buy one, but this device got huge potential!

It can open *.doc*.pdf and others! Not even the Nokia devices are capable of opening *.doc files... The iPod IS a good music player, even if the hype about it is just scary... So, when the prices drop in a few months or years, this device might be a very capable one (if itīs fully unlocked then!)