Active Topics

Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
@sLumPia:
Afaik this is a problem with python being compiled on Debian-based armel/hf distros. I've read that it sometimes goes away after recompiling python.
I hope that this problem disappears magically in Wheezy due to the change from the buggy gcc 4.4 (at least on armel/hf) to gcc 4.6.

I've never used Blender, so I have no idea about its performance requirements. But given the brilliant works that are created with Blender I'd expect it to be rather resource hungry.

Posts: 244 | Thanked: 354 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Scotland
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
I've never used Blender, so I have no idea about its performance requirements. But given the brilliant works that are created with Blender I'd expect it to be rather resource hungry.
I recall many many many moons ago a Mandlebrot Generator running on my CPC6128 which was left running overnight and did indeed produce a magical image by time I woke up in the morning.

I suspect the same timescales will be required here

blender is unusable. it runs and launches, but it's so slow you can't do anything in it, the UI also takes 3/4 of the screen, you can't see much.

try opening it via terminal, where You (as previousl line)invoked

unset GTK2_RC_FILES

---
I've noticed, that Easy Debian's xbindkeys keep CPU in C# state, not allowing it to properly enter C4. It also generates 200+ additional wakeups on completely idle device.

Although, power waste created by it isn't dramatical (or hard to notice at all, as I've been using it for a year, without feeling something is wrong...), it is here so, EasyDebians xbindkeys are depreciated.

Maemo's xbindkeys work well, use same config file, and doesn't include this bug - MPU enter's C4 properly, and no additional wakeups noticed - so, I encourage everyone to switch for Maemo's one, + edit /usr/share/applications/hildon/xbindkeys, replacing line:
Code:
Exec=debbie xbindkeys
...with:
Code:
Exec=xbindkeys
Of course, it will work only with Maemo's xbindkeys installed.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2012-05-25 at 16:42.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 153 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ P town
Hi Estel,
do you mean run it like this?
unset GTK2_RC_FILES && blender

try it, still got the same error.

@everyone else,
hm....so blender is not usable? d*mn
although to "wow" people is one of my motivation, but if it is not usable what the point of installing blender?
*sigh*
d*mn you nokia, why can't you put 1gb ram on n900?
*sigh*

No idea if result is same as for doing it in two explicit lines, but it was meant to make UI more usable, not as a fix for errors. unset GTK2_RC_FILES unloads Maemo theme.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Thanks again Estel, I recognized this behavior of debians xbindkeys before, but my workarround was to "killall xbindkeys" regulary as I never have easy-debian up all the time.
I am testing your solution let's see if there are major drawbacks in the battery lifetime with the maemo xbindkeys permanently on...

EDIT: one useful addition: to use Rehanna's middle- and rightklick-Hack one have to install/copy xdotool in maemo too! Now it is perfect!

Code:
cp /.debian/usr/bin/xdotool /usr/local/bin/
cp /.debian/usr/lib/libxdo.so.1 /usr/lib/
Have a nice weekend!

CU Michael

Last edited by magic_doc; 2012-05-26 at 11:59.

Hm, strange, right and middle click work for me, and I haven't had to copy anything from ED to Maemo

As for Maemo's xbindkeys and it's impact for battery - I've thoroughly tested it with powertop, and impact is non-existent.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Hm, strange, right and middle click work for me, and I haven't had to copy anything from ED to Maemo

As for Maemo's xbindkeys and it's impact for battery - I've thoroughly tested it with powertop, and impact is non-existent.

/Estel
The relevant part of .xbindkeysrc looks like this here:

Code:
# Shift+Tap=middle click; Fn+Tap=right click
"xdotool click 2"
 m:0x1 + b:1 + release

"xdotool click 3"
 m:0x80 + b:1 + release
This means I need the xdotool-binary available under maemo or am I wrong?

I noticed no higher battery consumption so far, looks that you are right

CU Michael

The Following User Says Thank You to magic_doc For This Useful Post:
You're right, I got xdotool installed via Maemo's repos. I have no idea if xdotool from ED also introduce additional wakeups, or not - you could check it via powertop (as for Maemo's xdotool, i'm perfectly sure than it doesn't wake up CPU unless necessary).

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

Tags
beta, debian, easy debian, extras-devel, fremantle, i <3 qole, squeeze