Active Topics

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
More tangential thoughts prompted by an iPhone review:

Walt Mossberg, writing for the Wall Street Journal, hit the nail on the head:
[T]he iPhone is, on balance, a beautiful and breakthrough handheld computer. [Emphasis added.] Its software, especially, sets a new bar for the smart-phone industry, and its clever finger-touch interface, which dispenses with a stylus and most buttons, works well ....
Maybe it's beginning to sink in that there's now a category of devices fitting in-between PDA's and notebooks. They're computers, and they're something else. (Not every-thing else.) Apple's iPhone and the Nokia Internet Tablet are just the first, best exemplars.

The iPhone doesn't have a hard drive or a keyboard. It commits huge resources to its gorgeous screen and flexible OS. It's driven largely by realization that we all want a walkaround web.

Same for the Nokia Internet Tablet.

No, they're not competitors (except for people's discretionary income). What I see, though, is that -- different as they are -- each conceptualizes the same insight. That's why I wrote, back in January, that the iPhone validates the Internet Tablet.

It seems even clearer to me today.
Read the full article.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
If you define the category as anything between a PDA and a laptop, OK. But there are several significant differences between the iPhone and the Internet Tablet. When you are focused on internet tablets, that is what you will see as a comparison point.

Actually, the iPhone is first and foremost a phone and most clearly is a modern update to the Nokia 7700 and 7710 touch screen phones of a few years ago that got overtaken within Nokia by S60.

To be honest, the iPhone is what in the UK is called a Feature Phone. A halfway way stage between a basic mobile and Smart Phone. Despite what appears to be a very impressive user interphase the actual features offered are limited. In particular there is a walled garden for third party applications. The slight relaxing for internet based programs is still incredibly limiting.

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
I think that -- even though the iPhone can make calls on a wireless network and the Internet Tablets can't -- that the iPhone is more like the N800 than a cellphone.

And don't argue with me -- it's Walt Mossberg who has millions of readers and who calls the iPhone a "handheld computer" in the headline of his review. (And not just at the Wall Street Journal -- at his own website too.)

And, um. what cellphone do you know of that has a 700 MB OS? When you talk about being able to add new features via applications, a device with a general-purpose OS like the iPhone and the N800 will blow away a device with a mobile-phone OS.

Just my opinion, of course.

Roger

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by RogerS View Post

And, um. what cellphone do you know of that has a 700 MB OS? When you talk about being able to add new features via applications, a device with a general-purpose OS like the iPhone and the N800 will blow away a device with a mobile-phone OS.

Just my opinion, of course.

Roger
WinMo is a big OS. What distinguishes the iPhone isn't its OS; it's the concept and design considerations, including the oversized display and touch screen centric interface with minimal buttons. Are you familiar with the 7710?

For a 1.0 product it seems pretty solid so far, all the limitations that people are citing can be corrected with software and Apple has a great track record of supporting their hardware. Apple is a very large company, and it seems they are focusing a lot of their effort on their new platform. We can probably expect great things to come from the iPod and iPhone lines.

Posts: 269 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Finland
It seems to me there is more "hype" in the Iphone and more "density" in the IT.

Meaning

- The Iphone is presented a a cool mix of everything (Ipod, Phone, Internet access ...) , including a fashion item, that aims at pleasing - rather well - the consumer satisfaction, but in a centered way. No modularity.

- The IT is an elegant platform focusing (hence the name) on Internet based applications, with a lot of evolution potential, aiming at becoming the node of a modular organization of our IT lives.

Personally, I think the IT concept has an advantage, because one can always leave it at home and keep the modules in one's pocket ( a cell phone, a camera, a pen). One can't with the Iphone (or invest in a second phone, back to square one).

Posts: 98 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Port Angeles, WA
I heard on the radio today in an article on tech that the COO (Cost of Ownership) of the iPhone is at least $2000 when you include the service contract payments you need to use it. The iPhone masses are going to get plundered! Let's see.. for that I can get at least 5 n800s - I could almost consider them disposable twice a year! I be a happy buccaneer with my Tab!

Oh, you heard on an unnamed radio show that the iPhone really costs $2,000?

I heard from an unnamed Microsoft sockpuppet that it will cost $3,500 if I factor in the "hidden" costs of converting my music collection! ZOMG! They use "locked into one music store" as code for "not locked into Microsoft DRM." I also heard it has smudges (unless the incredibly bright screen is turned on at all) and scratches (except no it doesn't) and an evil battery and on and on and on.

On the other hand, I also saw all the tables at
http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/26/h...in-total-cost/

showing different devices on different plans. Looks like it will cost me an extra $10/mo to use an iPhone over my current device/plan. Also, I may wind up leaving the n800 at home more because iPhone will give me better browsing than my current phone. Maybe I'll be able to view it in bright sunlight, unlike my n800.

The thing that really gets me is the predictions by financial analysts. Apple predicts sales of 10m by end of 2008, but two analysts quoted here

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...64BDD135547%7D

indicate that estimate may be conservative.

Now, if you're like me, you check the imdb entry every time you watch a movie. On the n800, I have to stop the movie page before it loads completely, or it sends me to an ad page. With 10m users, the iPhone is not going to let problems like that hang around for very long.

It's nice to hope for adherence to browser standards, but it's vastly more likely that problems will be fixed for a large audience.

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Originally Posted by zorg View Post
Now, if you're like me, you check the imdb entry every time you watch a movie. On the n800, I have to stop the movie page before it loads completely, or it sends me to an ad page. With 10m users, the iPhone is not going to let problems like that hang around for very long.
I have not seen that happening on my N800. (Last checked today, to make sure.) Maybe because I have set the pop-up settings in the browser to "Only requested"...