Active Topics

Poll: What is your vote??
Poll Options
What is your vote??

I think what most of us N900 fans would upgrade directly to is a Samsung Galaxy SII only if it:
1) Got a hardware tilt/slide qwerty
2) Got actual multitasking
3) Got (officially/unofficially) support for QML/Qt framework

... any one of those options and I see most of us (inc. me) moving on to it, or if it had all three then all of us would

I'm not sure what real multitasking is then. I would say that the multitasking on my SII is good. It lets me switch between both running apps and recently used apps. It lets me end running apps and when doing all these things it is a smooth process that doesnt disrupt anything i dont want it to.

The developer support from xda and other places is amazing. There are a number of roms. Some aim at faster OS although the phone is rocket fast already and some aim at improving battery life or just making things look better.

Its the best phonne i have had since my N900.

Add to the above that Samsung just gifted around 4 SIIs to the cyanogen mod team on xda and you have corporate support for voloubteer devs. That's better than what Nokia did when i had my beloved N900.

You are right about the hardware keyboard but I got used to not having it and dont miss it. I used to curse phones without hard keyboards lol

Last edited by gibsonus; 2011-07-01 at 12:23.

Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
I think what most of us N900 fans would upgrade directly to is a Samsung Galaxy SII only if it:
1) Got a hardware tilt/slide qwerty
2) Got actual multitasking
3) Got (officially/unofficially) support for QML/Qt framework

... any one of those options and I see most of us (inc. me) moving on to it, or if it had all three then all of us would
It's possible to develop Qt applications for Android. Necessitas should return the desired result.

GS2 vs N9 is actually an interesting face-off, because if we put application support aside for a change (you can prefer almost any other phone over the N9 if that is your priority), this really comes down to one thing:

Are you all about specs or the experience? This pretty much goes through the entire spec list:

CPU (+Battery)
GS2 has the faster CPU, but N9 UI is at least as responsive and has no additional Java layer. In other words, the N9 does more with less. But the GS2 still packs the brute force, if you require it for a specific reason...

Screen
Bigger is not better in mobile phones... So it is weird to book this as a GS2 advantage. The N9 has a huge screen for its form factor, easily beating the iPhone which comes at a comparable form factor. Not to mention the slightly higher resolution on the N9.

Tablets are not superior to phones because they have a larger screen, they are just different. And so the GS2 is different as well.

Shape
It is true the the GS2 is thinner at its peak, but what does that really matter? The N9 doesn't look nearly as thick as its spec makes it sound like (which is already fairly thin), due to the curved shape which tapers out at about 7mm on the ends. The peak of 12mm is only reached at the very center of the body. Furthermore, everything is smooth and rounded, which means that it fits perfectly in the hand and slides effortlessly in and out of pockets. It got the looks and function, what more could you possibly want from it?

The GS2 is not nearly as comfortable to hold with its hard angles, even if it wouldn't be as big as it is.

UI
You already know about that. The important thing here is not that MeeGo is a pretty cool foundation, or that the Harmattan UI does a few things here and there more elegantly than Android. The really important thing is that it was developed in conjunction with the hardware, and takes full advantage of its ergonomic properties. The most obvious being the swipe gesture with the curved, beveled screen and button-less front, which is a killer feature in itself.

Bottom line, if you just look at the numbers, GS2 beats the N9 hands down. If you actually use both devices, the story is very different. So you get to choose between specs or experience.

And for this reason, I strongly suggest everybody (who is looking for a phone like the N9, not a more tablet like device or an app ecosystem) to wait until it is out and to see what reviewers have to say about it after using it for a while. This is not something you can properly evaluate just from reading the specs.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kanishou For This Useful Post:
Posts: 280 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by Prozac786 View Post
I just picked up my Galaxy S II yesterday afternoon from T-Mobile (since Nokia broke my N900 )

And honestly I am disappointed. Yes it has one of the best screens in the world, dual core processor, 1GB ram (really 833MB and just on standby 290-300 is already used), yes it has 1080p recording and the camera is truly amazing.

But I'm not impressed with the multi-tasking at all, its very tedious to switch between apps, go from one app to the other, and closing apps also gets annoying after the 100th time of holding the home button, then click task manager, then click exit all, or manually exit the ones you want to close.

Honestly I just miss the simple "x" in the top right corner of the app thumbnail. The n9 will have multi tasking similar to the n900, so if thats the kind of multi tasking you prefer then wait for the n9.

The S2 has similar mutli tasking to my iPhone 4, its annoying for me but if you dont mind it then in terms of specs/hardware the S2 is a much better phone.

But I personally would prefer and get the Nokia N9, I am thinking of returning my S2 because thats how much I miss my N900. Also the lack of hardware keyboard makes entering long emails and texts stupidly annoying, and the virtual keyboard takes up most of the screen, especially in landscape mode!

At least with the iphone you could close the virtual keyboard both in protrait and landscape, by hitting the empty area above it, that way if you had a bluetooth keyboard, you could use that with a full iPhone 4 screen.

With the S2 there is NO way to close the virtual keyboard when you click a text box in the browser. It will stay open until you click outside of the text box, in which case you cannot type. So having a bluetooth keyboard is kinda pointless since most of your screen is always covered with the virtual keyboard. I like the fact that my iPhone 4 at least allows the option of closing Virtual Keyboard if I want to.

I am disappointed with the android market as well, apps are very similar to iOS market but alot more expensive. Plus alot of the paid apps have authorising issues which many users have been experiencing, their cards get charged but the app gets stuck on authorising card, so they dont ever get their app. There is no real fix for this issue, most people suffer from it and only some have resolved it themselves with no support from google so far.

Honestly, the hardware specs on the S2 are amazing - camera, processor, ram etc. etc. etc.

But the operating system seems like a cheap knock off iOS, with open source customizablity.

Well I would rather have a closed source iOS phone anyday, I'll gladly sacrifice the customization of the home screen in exchange for a stable and working market. Any customization the Android 2.3.3 offers can be obtained on iOS by apps or jailbreaking.

So honestly if you're gonna get an SGS2, get an iPhone 4 instead.

Also I miss my MicoB Browser on N900 and even the iPhone 4's Safari browser is much better than that on the SGS2! I don't know if you can get safari on android since I am new to the OS, but I will definitely find out if I can get it.

The phone overall feels to big to fit in one hand comfortably, so often you use two hands where you would use one. Personally I prefer a perfectly clear 3.5 inch screen or 3.9 inch like on the N9 without the home button, so that the phone itself does not increase in size. The galaxy S2's 4.3 inch screen is so impressive but it makes the phone too big for me to care!

Or take the best option, wait for an N9, becuase that will trule be the best alternative for any N900 user. I am not saying the N9 will be better than an N900, it lacks many things that the N900 can do, but it would be a worthy alternative for a regular N900 user looking to update their phone.

From experience my iPhone 4 and SGS2 do not impress me anywhere near as much as my N900 did, and I really wish I still had it! So I will definitely be waiting for the N9 and probaly just return the S2 as I have 7 days to change my mind.

Hope this helps!
You have an iPhone? Enough said.

I donīt own a SG S2, but itīs by far the best device out there at the moment, in every comparison against the iPhone 4 it basically rapes it.

The Following User Says Thank You to God For This Useful Post:
Posts: 206 | Thanked: 205 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by casper27 View Post
Are you insane, the Galaxy SII browser is by far the fastest on the market right now. it has been bench tested on many review sites.
I don't care about bench tested or speed. Yes its tremendously fast.

But try using it to type a long message on talk-maemo for example and you will see how stupidly annoying this widely bench tested browser is.

And how simple the Micro-B browser makes the same task. Even safari is easier to type with on the brower.

I have all three of these devices (well N900 is dead but had it for over 18 months) and currently have the SGS2 and iPhone 4.

I do find the SGS2 browser stupidly annoying when browsing and the fact that it will ALWAYS show websites in mobile view without the possibilty of changing it. So unless the site has an option that you can click to get out of mobile view, you're stuck.

This is my personal experience and opinion. Others may not mind this sort of functionality. But I personally hate it and would rather go for the N9.

Posts: 206 | Thanked: 205 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by God View Post
You have an iPhone? Enough said.

I donīt own a SG S2, but itīs by far the best device out there at the moment, in every comparison against the iPhone 4 it basically rapes it.
Enough said? lol stereo typical. Not every iPhone owner is a blind iSheep.

Anyways, I prefer the iPhone over the SGS2, you prefer the opposite thats fine. But dont just disregard my opinion just becuase I own an iphone lol..

And I bought the iPhone to test and compare it to the N900 and because I can afford to own multiple devices just on impulse.

Anyway, I have an iPhone but I still think the N900 destroys every phone available today. Based on your comment I should NOT be unable to think this way becuase I have an iPhone lol....

Last edited by Prozac786; 2011-07-01 at 16:22.

The Following User Says Thank You to Prozac786 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 73 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Austria (no kangaroos over here)
.....I do find the SGS2 browser stupidly annoying when browsing and the fact that it will ALWAYS show websites in mobile view without the possibilty of changing it. So unless the site has an option that you can click to get out of mobile view, you're stuck.....
I think you should give Android a fair chance and LEARN how to use it like you did with Maemo
There IS a possibility to change websites to Desktop-Mode in every Android Browser. Just type "about:useragent" at the Adressbar and select the prefered Browser-Behavior of your SGS2 (Galaxy S, Iphone, Desktop, Lismore, Nexus One, Custom)
There is also a hack to permanently use the selected Browsermode, and other Browsers (like Dolphin I think) not even need this hack.

CU - M_99

Enough said? lol stereo typical. Not every iPhone owner is a blind iSheep.

Anyways, I prefer the iPhone over the SGS2, you prefer the opposite thats fine. But dont just disregard my opinion just becuase I own an iphone lol..

And I bought the iPhone to test and compare it to the N900 and because I can afford to own multiple devices just on impulse.

Anyway, I have an iPhone but I still think the N900 destroys every phone available today. Based on your comment I should NOT be unable to think this way becuase I have an iPhone lol....
Well said dude. I have an ipod touch 4gen and I love it (only for the apps n that gorgeous screen). n900 is more of a computer than a phone - it will beat my crappy netbook hands down.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
I have to say that after i am moved to galaxy s2 i can never go back. The speed is amazing, 1080p flash kn broswer smooth as butter. Far out, everything of the device is a plus. The only problem is Android doesn't support Khmer language. But the device

Tags
bada rox