Notices

Poll: Have you had this issue ?
Poll Options
Have you had this issue ?

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by soeiro View Post
The cause seems to be related to the N900 performing I/O. To me it always happens when I leave the application manager in the background while it updates or install anything.

It also happens when there is a large email coming in, but this can be related to the fact that when I connect to wifi both the email client and app manager try to get updates.
Excuse me now but what did you expect? Updating/installing or downloading big email and also multitasking flawlessly?

I would not even dream to multitask properly when using app manager. That program just takes whole machine to itīs knees. And IMHO installing/updating are tasks when device should be left alone.

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
If you are talking about an issue that disappears after short time then this is not a bug... it's just load! If your hildon-home freezes for several minutes (not desktop! you will still be able to switch desktops or open taskswitcher or menu...) and does not come back responsive without crashing (all icons disappear) or being restarted, here is your bug

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8723

PLEASE do not comment like "me too" or something! Vote for it if you like. bugs.maemo.org is a technical bug tracker not forums.

[edit] just to mention it, python stuff (like recaller) makes hildon-home slow or even freeze sometime as the python widgets eat up memory (and this cannot be fixed) even if asked to free memory they seem to leak.

Last edited by chemist; 2010-06-09 at 13:42.

Originally Posted by slender View Post
Excuse me now but what did you expect? Updating/installing or downloading big email and also multitasking flawlessly?
Yes. Exactly.

I expect only what I've come to expect from most Linux operating systems that I've used, when properly tunned. If you have PREEMPT settings all turned on in the kernel, they behave closer to IBM's OS/2 2.0 and later used to behave (on 386 and 486 class hardware): you almost never get an unresponsive interface. No hiccups at all, even while printing, downloading and formating disks in the background.

The thing that makes this kind of unresponsiveness in a desktop Linux seems to be classic hard drives seek time plus system locks. But if you install the OS in a SSD partition and change the kernel settings that goes mostly away.

So, the N900 is Debian based, it doesn't have a classic hard drive and it has some (or all?) preemptive settings turned on. I would expect flawlessly multitasking, at least when running just two applications (application manager and email or application manager and browser).

Originally Posted by slender View Post
That program just takes whole machine to itīs knees. And IMHO installing/updating are tasks when device should be left alone.
I see that it is brought to its knees. I just wonder why and if something can be done about it.

When using desktop Debian/Squeeze, I never stop anything just because aptitude is updating 300MB+- every week.

Of course I know that the N900 is not quite as powerful as my current desktop computer but it is sure equal or better than old 80386 and 80486-based computers.

Here is another thread dedicated to this:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=55651

The Following User Says Thank You to soeiro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Originally Posted by HellFlyer View Post
It only happens to me when I change themes , doesn't matter if its alpha/beta or 3rd party developed
same here, what i usually do is wait,

the theme loads instantly except for the background image and shortcuts hover, i wait for about 30-60secs and the theme will be fully loaded. but at least i can bear with it,

i haven't try disabling all shortcuts and widgets with only one desktop active and then change themes,

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

Originally Posted by chemist View Post
If you are talking about an issue that disappears after short time then this is not a bug... it's just load!
Maybe it just load. But it does seem to be worse than before upgrading to PR 1.2. On the other thread I was also hinted that there could be some file that some program is trying to access but it is failing after a timeout or something.

Originally Posted by chemist View Post
[edit] just to mention it, python stuff (like recaller) makes hildon-home slow or even freeze sometime as the python widgets eat up memory (and this cannot be fixed) even if asked to free memory they seem to leak.
All right, I've recaller installed. Do you know if the load is lighter if a widget is not on the active desktop?

On the same token, even those status area additions are using system memory and cpu resources when they are not actually visible? Example: OpenVPN configurator and Flashlight.

Thanks

Posts: 579 | Thanked: 286 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Australia
recaller yes does lock up hildon-home. dam it. i use it often

they fix something then break something great. wonder when the bug and next firmware come out

Posts: 266 | Thanked: 89 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Norway
Originally Posted by Gizmokid2005 View Post
Since this was originally my thread.....

I think it's a widget bug too, I'm currently working on figuring out which one it is. I've got them all disabled and I haven't had an issue yet, OTOH, everything had been fine for the last 2 days until tonight..I'm going to see how it goes and re-enable one by one to eliminate them and figure it out.

Though, this is in at least some way related to PR1.2, because I've used the same widgets before I reflashed to PR1.2 and NEVER had the problem. Granted, the widget dev will need to fix it, but the point still stands, even if it is moot.
If your right, it is the Conversations Inbox Widget, because it is the only one i use... i have never had lockups and or erratic screen behavior before pr 1.2

"Sex is not the answer. Sex is the question. Yes is the answer..."

I reflashed my device and the problem went away...don't mean to say that it is the only way to fix but it did the job...

Posts: 60 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by soeiro View Post
I don't have that widget and I get the lock ups every time.

The cause seems to be related to the N900 performing I/O. To me it always happens when I leave the application manager in the background while it updates or install anything.

It also happens when there is a large email coming in, but this can be related to the fact that when I connect to wifi both the email client and app manager try to get updates.

I was thinking about recompiling the kernel to turn on all preempt switches, but then I realized that they seem to be already turned on...

Does anybody know if it is really related to I/O? It could also be that when the N900 tries to use the swap at the same time the app manager is doing heavy I/O to the eMMC things lock up for a while. In that case, would it be effective to place the swap file on the external microSDHC?
After I posted this, I saw the issue again without using those widgets, so I confirm it's not that set of widgets that causes the issue.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
I do not know about others but throughout all fw my n900 has stalled more or less when trying to multi-task while its downloading/installing stuff with app manager.