Posts: 602 | Thanked: 735 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Nantes, France
stock browser also for me. Works fine, and unlinke @pichlo, I find the new UI way more intuitive than the old one.

I just miss the sync feature.

The Following User Says Thank You to romu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 187 | Thanked: 121 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Subang Jaya, Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia
Originally Posted by NokiaFanatic View Post
What are people currently using as browsers on their Jolla phones?

Initially, I used the native browser, and while I found that did the job initially, with recent updates, it's just gotten slower and slower. Now it's at a stage where it's almost unusable, with pages slow to render and very unresponsive when navigating.

This led me into installing Firefox (Android version). This improved things a bit, but I still find that a substantial number of sites (particularly those with lots of Javascript) perform very poorly. The alternative is to use mobile versions of sites, but these fail to even render properly in most cases.

What are others using, any thoughts on hacks or tips to improve things?
https://together.jolla.com/question/...ious-problems/

^ this may contribute to the slowness in native browser

Webpirate, as it's the only native browser that's reliable, fast and offers an user-agent option.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Following the broken landscape edge swipes in 1.1.4.28, I can no longer trust certain apps (not that it is their fault). This has forced me to revert back to Sailfish Browser.

I must say that after a few days, I found it quite acceptable. The one thing that sucks BIG TIME is the icons in the bookmarks screen. The list as it was before was much, much more usable. Ho hum.

EDIT:
Oh and I almost forgot. Even more annoying than the icons is the page reloading when you leave and come back to a tab. But that is a known issue.

Last edited by pichlo; 2015-04-28 at 09:05.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
webpirate because it allows me to leave tabs playing videos while i do other crap.

Posts: 602 | Thanked: 735 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Nantes, France
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Oh and I almost forgot. Even more annoying than the icons is the page reloading when you leave and come back to a tab. But that is a known issue.
This doesn't not occur all the time. It depends on the phone memory load. But if you have only the browser opened, you can switch between 2/3 tabs without reload.

The one thing that sucks BIG TIME is the icons in the bookmarks screen. The list as it was before was much, much more usable. Ho hum.
Delete all bookmarks that were there from previos sailfish browser versions and regenerate them, the icons will look better.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Morpog For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by romu View Post
This doesn't not occur all the time. It depends on the phone memory load. But if you have only the browser opened, you can switch between 2/3 tabs without reload.
Yes, I know. That unpredictability does not help much though.

BTW, I was browsing the other day with 3 tabs open. Nothing else was running, just the browser. I do not remember what exactly was in the tabs but I do remember that I was reading the page for about two minutes when the browser suddenly died. Not immediately after loading the page, but with quite some delay. Weird.

Originally Posted by Morpog View Post
Delete all bookmarks that were there from previos sailfish browser versions and regenerate them, the icons will look better.
Thanks for the tip. Now the star icons have been replaced with miniaturised screenshots of the pages. Whether it is "better" is up to everyone's personal taste.

I use Firefox (and occasionally Opera) in Alien Dalvik most of the time, since it's much faster, better UI and better features.

Otherwise mostly WebPirate, and sometimes WebCat.

Almost never SF Browser. It's slower on some websites than WP & WC, but more importantly has a fraction of the features. Also, it STILL can't connect to browser-based wifi login (great job on that Jolla), so if you want to connect to that type of wifi you have to use WebPirate or Webcat.

The last 2 versions of SF I had to stop using Android browsers in AD, as the OOM app killer was so easily triggered. It's still present in the latest Early Access release, but less constant so I've been able to go back to it. This was the main reason I got the Nexus5 (RAM).

P.S. On the Nexus 5 under SF I use WebCat over WebPirate, as the latter doesn't scale properly yet.

Last edited by bluefoot; 2015-04-28 at 14:18.

The Following User Says Thank You to bluefoot For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the tip. Now the star icons have been replaced with miniaturised screenshots of the pages. Whether it is "better" is up to everyone's personal taste.
Pages with hi-res favicons show that instead. Try spiegel.de or goldem.de

Tags
browser, jolla, sailfish