Sailfish Android support will get an Android version number update as Jolla blog and SFOS 3 release info suggests. Will happily welcome it since some software I use has started to raise the bar beyond current version. Do you know what major version it will be?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pexi For This Useful Post:
probably 7.0 since they aim for 4.4 linux kernel for SFOS3

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to lantern For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pexi View Post
Sailfish Android support will get an Android version number update as Jolla blog and SFOS 3 release info suggests. Will happily welcome it since some software I use has started to raise the bar beyond current version. Do you know what major version it will be?
I agree completely with these sentiments: IMO Sailfish will never make it into the mainstream as an Android alternative without Android app support at least for the medium term.

Maybe you would like to contribute to my Wishlist for Android support in 2018 on TJC if you haven't already? <shameless plug>

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacman For This Useful Post:
it'll be interesting to see if someone can get Android working via webassembly, heck I might give it a try.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nh1402 For This Useful Post:
It all depends on how Jolla implements the Android support in the future releases. If they stick to AlienDalvik, we will be stuck on 4.4 forever since Dalvik was replaced by ART starting with Android 5. Furthermore, Myriad (the company from which Jolla licensed AlienDalvik) seems to have abandoned AlienDalvik, which is not much of a surprise since it's pretty old by now and support for Android 5+ probably needs a total redevelopment.

The only alternative for newer Android support seems to be Anbox, which look promising. But I'm not sure it's already stable enough to be used on productive devices.
We'll have to wait for more announcements from Jolla.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to jenix For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jenix View Post
It all depends on how Jolla implements the Android support in the future releases. If they stick to AlienDalvik, we will be stuck on 4.4 forever since Dalvik was replaced by ART starting with Android 5. Furthermore, Myriad (the company from which Jolla licensed AlienDalvik) seems to have abandoned AlienDalvik, which is not much of a surprise since it's pretty old by now and support for Android 5+ probably needs a total redevelopment.

The only alternative for newer Android support seems to be Anbox, which look promising. But I'm not sure it's already stable enough to be used on productive devices.
We'll have to wait for more announcements from Jolla.
I seriously doubt they'll use anbox. They've probably gotten the code from Myriad and have done the work themselves to make it work on a newer version of android.

Just because it's called Alien Dalvik doesn't mean the runtime engine is where all the work is done. Myriad had a version of it which further optimised the runtime engine but that wasn't used by Jolla. All the work is below that level, drawing to the screen, internet and sensor access, notifications etc. that's what is needed to get Android to work in Sailfish.

Last edited by nh1402; 2018-04-23 at 16:42.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nh1402 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Originally Posted by pacman View Post
I agree completely with these sentiments: IMO Sailfish will never make it into the mainstream as an Android alternative without Android app support at least for the medium term.

Maybe you would like to contribute to my Wishlist for Android support in 2018 on TJC if you haven't already? <shameless plug>
well, that term is long gone now. And the effect of android support didn't bring anything to sailfish, in fact, it just did harm. Just look how many poeple ask for android support on unofficial ports So when you take away android apps from sailfish, what's left? As someone who moved to AOSP because my J1 died all I can say that I miss gestures and simplicity of OS as such. But that's it. From the app POV AOSP is just so much better. Apart for "it has terminal" freaks, sailfsh is great as some feature phone but "smart" part is nowhere near the year we live in.
It kind of reminds me of GNOME, I do like the workflow of gnome shell but gnome apps on the other hand.......

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
And the effect of android support didn't bring anything to sailfish, in fact, it just did harm.
That's what I've been saying for at least four years. Android support literally killed Sailfish. Jolla itself as much as markets the OS as not much more than a shell for Android.

In case anyone is still in any doubt how self-deprecating Jolla is, just look at this screenshot of an autocomplete hints while typing Sailfish. I mean, come on!

Name:  Screenshot_20180423_001.jpg
Views: 1090
Size:  21.8 KB

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Android support literally killed Sailfish.
Ahh, we agree on so much, it nearly is a joy to disagree with you here, it got scary

So sailfish without Android would have been a success?

This is not quite fair, IMO you are skipping 4 years in the assumption a pure sailfish/linux/notAndroidorIOS system could have had any chance on the market.

Nokia killed that native linux chance in 2010, maybe even much earlier by false decisions.
Had they gone full meego at an ultra bold early point in time, your assumption could have worked for mobil linux. maybe.

In 2013 all trains where already long gone, most qt-devs reoriented to still make a living <insert all reasons for meego loosing 99% of traktion when nokia killed it>
Jolla rightfully saw no chance in going full native.
My feeling is we would have no sailfish at all without an app crouch but i would love to hear how it would have been possible.

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Agree, android support has been like life boat for sailfish.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to feedme For This Useful Post: