Active Topics

Since maemo is linux, we have adduser, we can add passwords then can we add a feature to maemo where after bootup we could select on which user we would login? Like any other linux desktop distro.

I mean like this one...

Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
This would require that the Hildon Desktop used by Maemo have some sort of Desktop Manager like Gnome does with GDM. Currently, Hildon has no such login manager.

The Following User Says Thank You to cddiede For This Useful Post:
Thanks! Yeah that's why I asked if it's possible to create a login manager? My really question is would it be possible to get the login manager running before hildon starts?

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
But it could be done.. There's already a modified hildon desktop by Matan.. etc.

But all we need now is someone to implement such thing.

And to answer you Radicalz, I don't think it would work, because a login manager has to have something to do with hildon-desktop..

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Glendale, CA
It would be nice if you could pick the user you want to come up as. Since this problem was solved by angstrom and familiar way back in the oughts I attempted to do this w/ diablo. I was stymied by the sheer number of hacks I had to put into /etc to get it to not use user 'user' by default. Many of these bugs were fixed in fremantle. But I haven't got around to trying it again.

Could you at least give a brief guide on how you've done that?

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Glendale, CA
Since I was not successful on diablo, I don't see the point in guide. It would be a guide to bricking your N8x0! The one hardcoded bug I found was fixed in fremantle. You can see the bug here:
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2837