Posts: 279 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Holland
Firstly this is not directly affecting carriers around the globe, (yet, I hope) but it seemed important enaugh to be mentioned. Bear with me if this read seems long, but I wanted to know some opinions of deticated mobile internet users here on the Maemo forums.

Some carriers in Holland have admitted the usage of DPI (deep packet inspection), a technology wich makes it possible for them to view usage and content of your mobile internet. For example, they can see that you use msn and even the content of the messages you send. It is not sure wether this is in violation with local laws, but I do know that multiple individuals already put up a claim against KPN for violation of privacy, and that independent organisation "Bits of Freedom" is advising to do the same.

This isn't even the most worrying part for me. They admitted usage of this technology to monitor what we use the internet for, so that they can bill their users extra fees in the near future, for using some internet services like skype, msn, whatsapp and so on. Or block these services, when you don't have the required internet bundle. This means that by summer time when they will announce new forms of bundles, the usage of skype and possibly some other services will (most likely, if they stick to their plans) be blocked for me by my provider.

Isn't that insane, billing me for a free service? In my opinion the web is mine to be used for what I want as long as I am paying for it, wich we all do when we have mobile internet included in our contract.

My worries are also with you, who knows other carriers like yours in the US for example are not using this DPI technology, having the same intentions as mentioned above? And if they get away with this, probably more carriers will follow.

Some sources: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/n...ming-video.ars
http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/12/d...itor-mobile-c/
http://maandblad.arsaequi.nl/opinie/.../weblog_041103

Thank you for your time in advance

can't answer your question - but if worst comes to worst, at least openVPN's in the repo's :-)

If you buy a niche, highly modifiable smartphone and proceed to mess it up by blindly screwing around, don't just blame the phone, also blame yourelf.

Posts: 105 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ India
dont worry, this is what we have the secured(https,ftps,ssh) protocols for.

Originally Posted by Pigro View Post
can't answer your question - but if worst comes to worst, at least openVPN's in the repo's :-)
I found out that VPN is used to send encrypted data from machine to router to recieving router to recieving machine and vice-versa. I was talking mainly about the mobile internet, that often does not require a single router. For example: use wireless internet to skype a bud on his iphone whilse he is on a mobile network as well.

At home and some other places I autoconnect to the wifi so that will not pose a prob any time soon, but i'd hate to be restricted whilse on the road..

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
I know that we are in the age where the overhead for running TOR/OpenSSH/HTTPS is minimal, but WHY do we have to do this? I'd be pretty pissed if this comes to my country, but I don't see this happening anytime soon as the culture in the country seems to lean towards "unlimited everything".

Why do they have to price differently every internet service? They sell the pipes, we push bits through them. As I've noticed, telcos usually sell more than what they gave (e.g. 2mbit line down speed and 100 subscribers, but they only have a 1Gbps pipe.) Sure there are the sheeple that browse Facebook, Twitter etc. all day, and there are the heavy downloaders that max out their connection all day, erryday. That's not an exuse to oversell, and ***** that it's too expensive to run the network. Their network should be able to handle all the users maxing out the up and down, and then some.

All caused by the race for faster speeds and rock-bottom prices, at least in America. Everyone wants 100Mbps U/D, but then is stuck with a 250GB cap. It's not supposed to be that way. What happened to line speed limiting? For example, 2Mbps Unmetered@US$25/mo, 5Mbps Unmetered@US$40/mo, and so on and so forth. It's so cheap to pass around the bandwidth esp. if you're a Tier 1/2 network, and the only costs you have to recoup is the cost$$$ of running networking hardware, hiring people than can run them pipe-critical boxes and so on.

If they really can't artifically lower the prices, jack them up (although I don't think the stockholders would like this. personally, **** those who thought this would be a good idea.)

Originally Posted by blipnl View Post
I found out that VPN is used to send encrypted data from machine to router to recieving router to recieving machine and vice-versa. I was talking mainly about the mobile internet, that often does not require a single router. For example: use wireless internet to skype a bud on his iphone whilse he is on a mobile network as well.

At home and some other places I autoconnect to the wifi so that will not pose a prob any time soon, but i'd hate to be restricted whilse on the road..
What I meant was that you could run openVPN on a home computer and set up the openVPN client on your phone to route all traffic through the home server (i.e. including packets whose actual destination is out on the internet).

So, you lose some speed - your max d/l speed on the phone will be the same as the max u/l speed of your home broadband. However, for most modern bb connections you should be getting > 500Mb/s upload, which is (a) probably around what an average 3G connection will deliver for download speed in anything less than optimal conditions and (b) more than enough for most stuff like skype, youtube streaming etc.anyway.

I already use this config on 2G/3G & public wifi if I'm doing anything private, or if I want to use UK location dependant services (iPlayer, 4OD etc.) whilst abroad. Once it's all installed, it is incredibly simple to use - just tap the openVPN status area applet and connect to your home server - takes about 2 seconds.

I have configured openVPN to serve the n900 a private address on my home LAN, and whilst my VPN connection is enabled, all traffic (not just packets addressed to my own subnet, but ALL ip packets) route via my home machine. The result is that everything I do is encrypted and the network operator/cafe hackers can't determine what the hell I'm doing (beyond knowing I'm sending encrypted data to my home IP address).

A nice fringe benefit is that you then have full access to all your local services without having to set loads of individual port forwards on your home router (because your n900 is effectively within your network). So, stuff like VNC'ing or rDesktop'ing into home PC, mounting home fileshares onto your phone, streaming video from home webcam/files etc. to phone is all a piece of piss :-)

As mentioned by others above, openVPN isn't the only solution - openSSH, tor etc. can also encrypt a skype call - but as I say, once you've done the spadework to install & configure openVPN, it provides great flexibility. If you are interested in knowing more, see http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...hlight=openVPN which details my setup.

If you buy a niche, highly modifiable smartphone and proceed to mess it up by blindly screwing around, don't just blame the phone, also blame yourelf.

Posts: 307 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Illinois, USA
As I've noticed, telcos usually sell more than what they gave (e.g. 2mbit line down speed and 100 subscribers, but they only have a 1Gbps pipe.) Sure there are the sheeple that browse Facebook, Twitter etc. all day, and there are the heavy downloaders that max out their connection all day, erryday. That's not an exuse to oversell, and ***** that it's too expensive to run the network. Their network should be able to handle all the users maxing out the up and down, and then some.
Uhh no. The only reason ISPs can even stay in business is their ability to oversell. Take it from me, I nearly started my own ISP. Its expensive.

Sometimes you gotta love the law. New rules have been set up but certainly, operators now cannot charge more for internet data used on specific applications. And the operators stated to drop the previous plans for it as well. Thank you for the replies thusfar!

Greetz @ holland