Active Topics

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 334 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel.
Hey again,

Basically I have narrowed down lots of the possibilities here.
This is what I have :

- N900, flashed with PR1.2 and eMMC.
- Install openSSH, rootsh, mad-developer (from extras-devel)

I connect usb cable to windows 7 64bit host machine and to N900,
Change networking mode to windows networking in mad-developer.
Connectivity works great. I can ssh to my N900.

Now I start wireshark (just click the wireshark icon) on the pc, N900 reboots. Seems like everytime wireshark initiates winpcap it causes N900 to reboot.

also I can see sw_rst in the /proc file which I don't remember the name at the moment.

I will test this on 2 more computers, but I wanted to see if anyone has any input about this subject before I open a bug.

So the question is, anyone seen anything like this?

Cheers,
Eitam.
| DonateMe - If you feel I helped you in a very good way, feel free to donate |

Bump + Does anyone know where in bugzilla I should post a bug about this?
Is it bugs.maemo.org? or qt bug tracker?

any chance for u to teach me how to setup usb networking in windows 7 64bit? i cant seem to get it to work on mine. a step by step for that would be nice. thanks

Originally Posted by bujingai View Post
any chance for u to teach me how to setup usb networking in windows 7 64bit? i cant seem to get it to work on mine. a step by step for that would be nice. thanks
It doesn't get easier then this : http://wiki.maemo.org/N900_USB_networking

Good luck (:
If you find trouble with that tutorial, open a Thread, since it's off-topic on this thread.

thanks man

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
i don't think it's a bug. mine was working fine, now today i've noticed it reboots any time i load that windows network driver if the usb is already connected, or as soon as i plug the usb. i think it did it last night too, but i wasn't worried then.
only thing i did recently was installed android, the boot loader stuff, and added power kernel back.
i found another thread where someone was getting a reboot like this too. i bet it's windows doing something stupid, but really, the phone shouldn't restart either.
oh, i accidentally connected my phone to a vmware guest on this computer too, that messes with the windows usb drivers a bit.
i already tried to reinstall mad-de and it didn't help. i'll try a system restore on the computer cuz i can always undo it again after.
**** **** **** i hate microsoft. there's a bug in system restore where it deletes all your restore points for some stupid reason right before you need to use that feature, and guess what, it just happened.
they have a thread on their support forums with like 500 people *****ing about this and they still haven't fixed it other than giving some basic commands to try and reset the restore points. argggghhh.
no wonder people use linux.
i'll just try another usb port and hope it reinstalls the driver for the usb networking some magic way that actually works. POS-OS.
oh good now the MAD-D won't load, the window doesn't stay open or really show up. rebooting phone. if this doesn't work i give up!
--nope doesn't load
FML

ok i got MAD-dev to load again, after uninstall/reinstall and reflashing the kernel or whatever that bootloader does. it still doesn't work though, even on another computer. did a fresh install of the NDIS driver and n900 instantly rebooted.
also tried restoring a backup on the phone and that didn't help either.
tried changing n900 from static ip to dhcp client, didn't help.

Last edited by Creamy Goodness; 2010-09-04 at 06:56.

Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness View Post
i don't think it's a bug. mine was working fine, now today i've noticed it reboots any time i load that windows network driver if the usb is already connected, or as soon as i plug the usb. i think it did it last night too, but i wasn't worried then.
only thing i did recently was installed android, the boot loader stuff, and added power kernel back.
i found another thread where someone was getting a reboot like this too. i bet it's windows doing something stupid, but really, the phone shouldn't restart either.
oh, i accidentally connected my phone to a vmware guest on this computer too, that messes with the windows usb drivers a bit.
i already tried to reinstall mad-de and it didn't help. i'll try a system restore on the computer cuz i can always undo it again after.
**** **** **** i hate microsoft. there's a bug in system restore where it deletes all your restore points for some stupid reason right before you need to use that feature, and guess what, it just happened.
they have a thread on their support forums with like 500 people *****ing about this and they still haven't fixed it other than giving some basic commands to try and reset the restore points. argggghhh.
no wonder people use linux.
i'll just try another usb port and hope it reinstalls the driver for the usb networking some magic way that actually works. POS-OS.
oh good now the MAD-D won't load, the window doesn't stay open or really show up. rebooting phone. if this doesn't work i give up!
--nope doesn't load
FML

ok i got MAD-dev to load again, after uninstall/reinstall and reflashing the kernel or whatever that bootloader does. it still doesn't work though, even on another computer. did a fresh install of the NDIS driver and n900 instantly rebooted.
also tried restoring a backup on the phone and that didn't help either.
tried changing n900 from static ip to dhcp client, didn't help.
Not sure why it's not working for you, but anyway the N900 should not reboot any time, especially not because some "odd" packet or msg was received on USB.
Can you imagine such a message arriving on your WIFI and causing your phone to reboot??? it's a bug.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
yeah, you're right, it could be a bug. but i guess i am just wondering what the bug is in. it seems to happen in both kernels, and is a very rare issue. it could be some type of corruption as well.