Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Nothing mentioned at all regarding our device and what with the lack of driver support is the reason i fear many will be dissapointed.

Wait and see is all we can do.
Improved ARM support was mentioned. And the N900 DE project makes steady progress.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 218 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Abu Dhabi , UAE
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Improved ARM support was mentioned. And the N900 DE project makes steady progress.
You mean it supports both platforms without any app compatibility issues?
EDIT:Man.
MSFT should learn some lessons from that one.

Last edited by govprog; 2011-05-19 at 18:04.

Originally Posted by govprog View Post
You mean it supports both platforms without any app compatibility issues?
Software in user space should not be sensitive to CPU architecture unless it is deliberately so, and the developer should be aware of it. Saying "without any" is impossible, but it is fair to say there should not be any unintentionally.

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 302 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ England
Originally Posted by ejasmudar View Post
The best part of this thread? The return of the little engineer "Abill_UK"!!! Man, have I missed you! Where were you for the last few weeks? It was boring as hell here in TMO without your polarizing presence.
If people want to circlejerk can they do it in private messages.

Do we know when an N900 image will be ready? I need to buy an sd card, stat.

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 179 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Gold Coast, Australia
Enough **** guys ffs abill you sound like you was born yesterday why troll threads all your life? did you have a bad childhood?

So can anyone post screens or somthing contructive

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by lucas777 View Post
Enough **** guys ffs abill you sound like you was born yesterday why troll threads all your life? did you have a bad childhood?

So can anyone post screens or somthing contructive
If you think i am trolling then you need your head examined !.

MeeGo for the N900 is THE most important and only upgrade we are ever going to get now and i see problems without driver support from Nokia for the DE team.

It will be all too easy for MeeGo support to be dropped by the DE team IF a new device comes out with better spec than the N900 so my thoughts are genuine and with good reason behind my comments.

As you said Texrat the DE team are progressing MeeGo specifically for the N900 but the last update was certainly not aimed at our device, surely you can see this? but as you said progress is happening (when we see it) by that team and every N900 owner now relies on this team.

No trolling going on here it is genuine concern for the future of our device as far as MeeGo is concerned.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
For good measure, MeeGo 1.2 only releases a hardware adaptation for N900 and a platform. Do notice there are no IA handset builds either. It is not for end-users or even power users. It provides a platform for others to build upon.

We chose to focus on 'marketing' N900 Developer Edition more. It is built on top of MeeGo 1.2 and you can read more at http://wiki.meego.com/N900 - it is for developers/hackers.

The SF2011 release is shaping up really nicely and I hope many will be positively impressed. I am.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
For good measure, MeeGo 1.2 only releases a hardware adaptation for N900 and a platform. Do notice there are no IA handset builds either. It is not for end-users or even power users. It provides a platform for others to build upon.

We chose to focus on 'marketing' N900 Developer Edition more. It is built on top of MeeGo 1.2 and you can read more at http://wiki.meego.com/N900 - it is for developers/hackers.

The SF2011 release is shaping up really nicely and I hope many will be positively impressed. I am.
Reading your post with interest and i would really like to know the aims of the DE team as far as the N900 is concerned.

Are we likely to see a full blown usable MeeGo OS release for end user or is there aim purely building a programmable platform and expect end user to further develop?, i surely hope the latter is not the case as many many do not have the knowledge or ability.

I have my heart set on a full blown end user release usable to a greater extent than Meamo has achieved with nulled support now from Nokia and NOT a developers platform.

Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
MeeGo for the N900 is THE most important and only upgrade we are ever going to get now and i see problems without driver support from Nokia for the DE team.
You just insulted the whole CSSU team And Nokia's support is already visible... (source: http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/N900/Features/CallAudio , at least Harri Hakulinen from N900 hardware adaptation team works for Nokia - see his e-mail address ). What else doesn't work in for example NITDroid? I know about GPS and FM receiver/sender, so that should be also covered by "Nokia-guys", but seriously, what else has to be done and hasn't been done by anyone before...?

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Reading your post with interest and i would really like to know the aims of the DE team as far as the N900 is concerned.

Are we likely to see a full blown usable MeeGo OS release for end user or is there aim purely building a programmable platform and expect end user to further develop?, i surely hope the latter is not the case as many many do not have the knowledge or ability.

I have my heart set on a full blown end user release usable to a greater extent than Meamo has achieved with nulled support now from Nokia and NOT a developers platform.
Developer Edition is for developers and hackers, with the twist that we work hard towards having it usable on a day to day basis for those types. We focus on the basic use cases (calls, sms, web browsing) and the 'hard' stuff (hardware adaptation) and make those really good and working. That doesn't mean we only do this, but we do those well first and build upon them.

Many people are already contributing bits and pieces / apps for DE and I personally think it's shaping up nicely towards something I would use myself daily.

With QML you can easily mock up new features for your phone. As an example, the QML dialer in DE was made by our local tswindell. And I'd like to ask all of you, including abill_uk, to help build a phone like you want it to be like. It's open source and free for you to adjust down to the detail.

We've realy done a lot of hard work that usually is the things stopping efforts like this and now what is left is what is usually fun for a hacker community including those in the DE team.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post: