Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by szopin View Post
Probably a bad idea, but... BillyBass vs Saera? When billy shouts 2+ emails received, trigger saera to read out all their subjects? (possibly even asking if you want the body read out loud too?) Will need to check if Saera understands what Billy says

TTS in question: https://openrepos.net/content/kimmoli/billy-bass
Would be nice to combine efforts (if possible), maybe get the 'read out aloud' notifications code from billy incorporated?
"Read aloud notifications" is something I am working on.

In other news: I now have a N9 to develop on. So Saera will be making a return to Harmattan in addition to the Sailfish and Maemo ports!

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Here is something worth looking at:

SoundHound just announced Hound, a new personal voice assistant with quite astonishing results.

It will be available on Android and iOS, but what's more important, they also announced Houndify, a cross-platform ("iOS, Android, Windows, Unix, Raspberry Pi, and others.") interface for developers to integrate in their apps.

I am not sure about the pricing (if there's any), but seems worth to look at, at least as an option for those who wouldn't mind getting the results from a 3rd party.

Last edited by nodevel; 2015-06-05 at 07:07.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
I'll take a look at what Hound could do for Saera when I get an invite for the API (it's invite-only at the moment).

Progress update: Sailfish OS port is just about ready for release, once I figure out packaging details.
I've been working on the Harmattan port, as well. Here's what I've found:
  • The old version of PyOtherSide that works with Harmattan is synchronous, meaning the UI hangs while commands run. Hopefully I can work around this with threads or something.
  • Harmattan makes it much more difficult to do things like set alarms or read contact lists than either Maemo or Sailfish OS - it looks like I may need C shims for some functions.
  • Harmattan uses a different name for ld.so (the system linker) than Maemo or Sailfish, meaning all the Julius binaries needed to be recompiled (despite it being the same CPU architecture - odd.)

So Harmattan port will not be released just yet, but hopefully will be fully functional by the end of the summer.

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
great info taixzo! can't wait to test it on my jolla! Thank you!

The Following User Says Thank You to carepack For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by taixzo View Post
I'll take a look at what Hound could do for Saera when I get an invite for the API (it's invite-only at the moment).

Progress update: Sailfish OS port is just about ready for release, once I figure out packaging details.
I've been working on the Harmattan port, as well. Here's what I've found:
  • The old version of PyOtherSide that works with Harmattan is synchronous, meaning the UI hangs while commands run. Hopefully I can work around this with threads or something.
  • Harmattan makes it much more difficult to do things like set alarms or read contact lists than either Maemo or Sailfish OS - it looks like I may need C shims for some functions.
  • Harmattan uses a different name for ld.so (the system linker) than Maemo or Sailfish, meaning all the Julius binaries needed to be recompiled (despite it being the same CPU architecture - odd.)

So Harmattan port will not be released just yet, but hopefully will be fully functional by the end of the summer.
hi taixzo,
any news about saera? thx

Saera has been released on OpenRepos!

READ BEFORE INSTALLING:
  1. Before installing, you will need to install eSpeak. I had intended to package eSpeak with Saera, like BillyBass does, but the eSpeak sources are on SourceForge, which is down.
  2. The first time you launch Saera, it may take several minutes to build all the caches, and it will need an internet connection to find local street names. After the first time it should start up in a few seconds.
  3. If you have a GitHub account, please report bugs on the issues page rather than in this thread - it makes it easier to keep track of them.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Saera has been released on OpenRepos!

READ BEFORE INSTALLING:
  1. Before installing, you will need to install eSpeak. I had intended to package eSpeak with Saera, like BillyBass does, but the eSpeak sources are on SourceForge, which is down.
  2. The first time you launch Saera, it may take several minutes to build all the caches, and it will need an internet connection to find local street names. After the first time it should start up in a few seconds.
  3. If you have a GitHub account, please report bugs on the issues page rather than in this thread - it makes it easier to keep track of them.
hi taixzo

thx for the release. is something else nedded than espeak and internet connection? I see that when saera is started the satellite icon is coming up on the lockscreen. And seara stucks a initializing speech recognition. Waiting since ten minutes now. Someone else got this??

edit:
ok. I straced the app starting once via strace /usr/bin/harbour-seara and once via xdg-open. In both cases the app is starting like it should. If I start it via ui it hungs up on "initialize voice recognition"

edit 2:
http://pastebin.com/LhRMbHwh is an output via strace /usr/bin/harbour-saera
I can click the microfone but nothing happens. Maybe the output is helpful for you

edit 3:
could it be that a lot of pictures and music are responsible for this? Got nearly 4000 pics and lots of music stuff

Last edited by carepack; 2015-07-19 at 10:37.

Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
  1. Before installing, you will need to install eSpeak. I had intended to package eSpeak with Saera, like BillyBass does, but eSpeak sources are on SourceForge, which is down..
Uh oh, that made me afraid/shocked for a moment.
Until I checked
http://sourceforge.net/projects/espeak/files/espeak/
works fine.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by carepack View Post
hi taixzo

thx for the release. is something else nedded than espeak and internet connection? I see that when saera is started the satellite icon is coming up on the lockscreen. And seara stucks a initializing speech recognition. Waiting since ten minutes now. Someone else got this??

edit:
ok. I straced the app starting once via strace /usr/bin/harbour-seara and once via xdg-open. In both cases the app is starting like it should. If I start it via ui it hungs up on "initialize voice recognition"

edit 2:
http://pastebin.com/LhRMbHwh is an output via strace /usr/bin/harbour-saera
I can click the microfone but nothing happens. Maybe the output is helpful for you

edit 3:
could it be that a lot of pictures and music are responsible for this? Got nearly 4000 pics and lots of music stuff
Hmm, there is an error somewhere in the Python script. Could you run "harbour-saera" from a terminal and let me know what the beginning of the output is (up until the first "NameError: name 'saera2' is not defined")?

Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
Uh oh, that made me afraid/shocked for a moment.
Until I checked
http://sourceforge.net/projects/espeak/files/espeak/
works fine.
Oh, excellent! It was espeak.sourceforge.net/ that's inaccessible. I will try and release a new build with espeak bundled today.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Hmm, there is an error somewhere in the Python script. Could you run "harbour-saera" from a terminal and let me know what the beginning of the output is (up until the first "NameError: name 'saera2' is not defined")?
of course!

http://pastebin.com/yDA72D9T

Tags
saera, speech-to-text