Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
@chenliangchen, you forgot to mention the phone you used to take that picture. I am really impressed with the moon. All the pictures I made of the moon even with real cameras ended up burnt out. No chance to see the maria like in your photo.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Your picture, ste-phan, is an ace. I cannot fault it.
Thank you, too much honor , but really nice to hear the picture is pleasuring people.

Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
But today it's just me drinking with myself but I took my trusty old pal Nokia 808 with me and shot the moon... Just now.
This morning I was watching the last 1/2 hr of the lunar eclipse had to just tell myself to enjoy the spectacle and not bother taking out the Jolla phone..

But your picture shows clearly that with the old but mighty 808 Pureview, a lot is possible as you got the full moon captured with nice detail retention.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Beautiful this project, if not this time I will attempt to join in next months photo theme thread

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dongle Fongle For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Last night was supposed to be full lunar eclipse, when the moon would be full and fiery red... bummer, woke up well in time for it but the cloud cover over southern finland was so dense there was no sight of the moon....

Next one is not due until 2018, so there.
Missed that as well, it was just ten minutes...

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
@chenliangchen, you forgot to mention the phone you used to take that picture. I am really impressed with the moon. All the pictures I made of the moon even with real cameras ended up burnt out. No chance to see the maria like in your photo.
It was taken by 808. The moon was quite bright in night sky was trying to avoid over exposure. I turned ISO to the lowest (125 on 808) and exposure to the lowest as well (-4) ND filter on. but since 808 does not have option to adjust shutter time I turned on flashlight. (That looks weird, I know...) to reduce shutter time and I got that picture. (And no need to use tripod)

Tried same setting with Panasonic CM1 the same time but I never got a good picture as 808.

Last edited by chenliangchen; 2015-09-28 at 19:07. Reason: typo

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 661 | Thanked: 1,625 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Croatia,Zagreb
I'm not happy to say that this month there won't be any voting. I appreciate Casanunda's, ste-phan's and chenliangchen's efforts but the last photo is disqualified because it's not really what the theme says and two entries aren't enough for voting. So I guess I'll just make an open theme competition next month...

I'm not pleased at all with the response this month, and I can't find a way to interest people anymore.
This competition was created to have a little fun on the forum and I can't offer any prizes either so help me, suggest something that could improve the competition. Any suggestions and talk will go to this thread. Thanks.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Half-Life_4_Life For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by Half-Life_4_Life View Post
I'm not pleased at all with the response this month, and I can't find a way to interest people anymore.
I've gotta admit that I was never in a position this month to take a picture of a sunrise or sunset; either the sun wasn't there (cloudy), or the cellphone wasn't there (I find that I don't carry mine around much at those times of day), or I wasn't there (indoors during that time ). This subject demanded a bit more preparation on my part than others...

That said, I think it was a fine topic, and I don't think it didn't interest people (at least not me).

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Yeah, I'm guilty of that one as well. I bring my camera with me and shoot some stuff in the morning or evening but all of a sudden I forget that I have a phone in my pocket. If it weren't for this competition I probably would never even shoot with my phone now after I've bought myself a new camera.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Half-Life_4_Life For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
I went and tried a few times when the light was good and other responsibilities were at least briefly lifted, but just couldn't get a good subject and shot in the limited radius I'm allowed to roam in at those times of day. I liked the theme, but still failed . . .

But thanks to the posters of the entries that were received, and I'll try harder next month.

BTW, my wife -- not a member here, but rather an iPhone user -- accidentally got a pretty good pic in the theme of the month. I probably should have gone ahead posted it in the "non-adjudicated, exhibit-only" category

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by Half-Life_4_Life View Post
two entries aren't enough for voting.
There might be more entries join on the last day. But even with 2 entries we can still have a vote, as last year "Imperial and Commonwealth" topic just had 2 entries as well. I guess it happens sometime.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Yeah, I should allow people to post their entries. People. go ahead.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Half-Life_4_Life For This Useful Post:

Tags
camera, competition, golden, golden hours, light, october, september