Posts: 109 | Thanked: 196 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Guatemala
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
I couldn't get it to boot.
The doc says it boots from mmcblk0p3 (why p3?) so I used fdisk to partition the internal card and formatted the 3rd partition with ext3 and extracted the filesystem there (as root).
Thats good, but you should try the latest version. On why partition 3, because you must tell the kernel where the rootfs is and that information is hardcoded when it is compiled. AFAIK it can't changed unless via bootloader or via the kexec mechanism, but honestly I have not played with the R&D rootfs flag and that can be a solution.

mmcblk0p3 seems good to me but is completely arbitrarily, hopefully the new boot selector will take care of that limitation.

Still, all I get is the penguin logo (N800) or no reaction at all (N810).
The N810 is still on Chinook, the N800 on latest Diablo; is the Diablo bootloader needed for booting this kernel, because my N810 shows no reaction after flashing the kernel?
I have not been here too long to know many details about bootloaders, but I remember I read somewhere that Diablo increase the kernel partition to 2MB from 1.5MB, this kernel is a little larger so maybe is being truncated on Chinook and that can be the problem.

Last edited by solca; 2008-12-08 at 10:27.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to solca For This Useful Post:
Posts: 356 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Finland
any way this could work on 770?

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
pycage:

Did you untar the rootf with jxvf or -jxvf, for me only -jxvf was able to untar booting system.
My n810 never boots to android if ext-card is inserted, so try removing it.
Don't worry about bootloaders, solcas kernel overrides them.

@Solca:

My tablet still turns itself off automatically, maybe it poweroffs because of the automatical search for wifi networks? btw, with latest rootfs and kernel, it is still unable to scan for wifis, userspace crashes and robot splash comes up... logcat

Last edited by meizirkki; 2008-12-08 at 14:29.

is there some approach that one can binary editing the zImage to change the root? I would like too keep original system untuched. Or can some one do a favor to provide the external minisd option(recompile the kerne).Thanks.

Originally Posted by chyang View Post
is there some approach that one can binary editing the zImage to change the root? I would like too keep original system untuched. Or can some one do a favor to provide the external minisd option(recompile the kerne).Thanks.
I think rdev may be what you want?

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
I think rdev may be what you want?
Looks like that's i386 only if we believe the man page?

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
So, is the new Maemo 5.0 kernel of any use to you Android porters? It is only 2.6.27, but it should have the WiFi stuff integrated into it.

Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
Looks like that's i386 only if we believe the man page?
Ummm... yeah. Good point.

OTOH, if it is hard-coded into the kernel, something similar (or manual equivalent with a hex-editor) should still be able to work... you'd just have to know how/where the default root device gets stored in the zimage.

OTOH, if it is hard-coded into the kernel, something similar (or manual equivalent with a hex-editor) should still be able to work... you'd just have to know how/where the default root device gets stored in the zimage.
If it is not compressed and the same number of letters as the other one (in our case yes), then it should be fairly easy to change... AFAIR the kernel image is compressed though.

Just checked - there's rdev in Diablo and Fremantle SDKs (including ARMEL).

Then again, it wants a real device in /dev to change it...

Last edited by Bundyo; 2008-12-08 at 21:21.

Tags
android, nitdroid