Active Topics

Hello, all.

My BRAND NEW (one week old) N9 has seemingly committed suicide as of yesterday. Here's what's happened. Pardon me for being wordy, but I want to make sure the exact problem is fully understood:

1). While I was browsing titles in Nokia Store, a message popped up about a possible error and to "check the date settings," after which I noticed that around half of the icons on my main screen had disappeared.

2). I reset the phone, which showed a "rescuing software update" message in red text over the Nokia screen. Once the alleged "rescue" was complete, the phone reset itself and just sat there on the Nokia screen... for 2 hours.

3). I browsed the forums and learned I may want to try the following:
flasher --enable-rd-mode --set-rd-flags=no-lifeguard-reset
Which I did. The phone got to the Nokia screen and displayed some info in white text, but never advanced further.

4). I decided to try flashing the phone to hopefully get it booting again. But the firmware file is quite large and I'm on a very slow connection, so I had to wait until I could use a friend's internet to download it.

4). I left the phone plugged in to the AC charger while I slept. After I downloaded the firmware I grabbed the phone, which was now turned off. Turning it on yields one of two results, but only when connected to the AC charger:
a) The little white light comes on for a moment, then turns off.
b) The screen turns on and gets to the Nokia screen, but sits there for a minute or so before powering off.

So... wow. The software is unresponsive so I must flash it. But I can't flash it because the battery is dead. But the phone doesn't seem to be responsive to the charger because the software is unresponsive. I can't get "flasher -i" to do anything, either.

This situation is fairly ridiculous and I have little more patience for it. Can anyone recommend a possible solution, or should I just chuck this phone in the bin?

Thanks in advance.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Since you have flasher and the firmware files why not just flash using "flasher -f -F rootfs.bin"?

Post the output log of it; remember to plug in device to PC only after the message of "Suitable device/phonnet not found" appears...

I don't think chucking it in the bin would be good idea!

I know I would be interested in buying because mine has a smashed screen, so I could use that!

Posts: 196 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Near St. Albans UK
if its only a week old take it back! or get onto Nokia! you can a two year Warranty so you might as well try!

Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
Since you have flasher and the firmware files why not just flash using "flasher -f -F rootfs.bin"?

Post the output log of it; remember to plug in device to PC only after the message of "Suitable device/phonnet not found" appears...
That worked, thank you very much. The problem was I kept plugging it in to the PC before the "not found" message appeared.

Can you give me any tips / advice as to how I can avoid this problem in the future? If I remember correctly from my reading, it's a known issue in the developer mode that can cause this?

I don't want to be flashing my phone every week, to make up for an oversight on the part of Nokia. I just had the phone set up just the way I wanted it, now I have to do it all over again!

Any extra info appreciated, thanks.

Arf the Lab,

Actually this is the first time I have come across such an error; developer mode is in no way responsible for this (I have it enabled since Nov. 2011)...If you could point links from where you got your info it would be better...

Oh and try using N9QTweak for your backup/restore operations; its the swiss army knife for the N9 and comes with a good PDF guide and Wiki for reference...

The only other thing that I can think of is that I used N9QTweak to uninstall most of the hard-coded apps including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, User Guide, et cetera. Is this known to cause any problems? I just don't want all that junk in my phone...

Other than that I hadn't really messed with anything important.

Originally Posted by Arf the Lab View Post
The only other thing that I can think of is that I used N9QTweak to uninstall most of the hard-coded apps including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, User Guide, et cetera. Is this known to cause any problems? I just don't want all that junk in my phone...

Other than that I hadn't really messed with anything important.
Tell me did you read the PDF/Wiki before uninstalling those apps?
There is a clear warning that not to use that tweak if you are not an advanced user so if you don't know what's going on why fiddle with it? I am quite sure during uninstallation you didn't pay attention and the metapackage got uninstalled along with almost every other system components.

Anyway there is another tweak that hide those icons; you should be using that instead of removing stock apps...

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Ah, so I likely caused the problem myself. How ridiculous. But, OK, it's a good learning experience. Thanks. And if nothing else, it forced me to familiarize myself with the basics of the flashing process more quickly than I had planned to.

Now I've got MeeGo back and customized just the way I like it (took MUCH LESS time than it ever did with Symbian!), and have installed NITDroid, too.

I'm liking this phone more and more each day. The only major inconvenience is the downright awful battery life, but you can't have everything...

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Originally Posted by Arf the Lab View Post
I'm liking this phone more and more each day. The only major inconvenience is the downright awful battery life, but you can't have everything...
Enable "battery saving mode" (in the Battery submenu), stick to 2G unless you need it and avoid running apps and services in the background.

This should alleviate some of that battery hurt, but even then, my N9 can manage to mysteriously drop 20% of charge over the night doing absolutely nothing. Sometimes it even drops dead in the middle of the night.

Make sure you always have a charger at hand, and don't leave home with less than 50%!