Posts: 738 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Berlin
i use a Samsung TV with Tizen. Its okay. Its fast if the OS is boot up complety. But the menu is bad. Strange settings e.g. if i want change to Game/PC mode... to many clicks to get this menu to change. The OS is okay, but not perfect ^^ i know, no OS is perfect :P
... and there is no real hacks and root

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cvp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
I do own a tizen top notch tv from last year.
Did you buy it for the "smart" features, or did the TV that had the resolution etc. you wanted just happen to have smart features?

I get why average consumers buy smart TVs but I would have expected you (and most other people on this site) to stick a general purpose computer behind the TV and use that instead with some media centre software like kodi - so much easier to update and tinker with. If an update goes wrong with your TV you could end up with a shiny brick, which is a rather strong incentive against developing for it!

Or did you buy it to try Tizen? Just curious!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
Did you buy it for the "smart" features, or did the TV that had the resolution etc. you wanted just happen to have smart features?

I get why average consumers buy smart TVs but I would have expected you (and most other people on this site) to stick a general purpose computer behind the TV and use that instead with some media centre software like kodi - so much easier to update and tinker with. If an update goes wrong with your TV you could end up with a shiny brick, which is a rather strong incentive against developing for it!

I bought it to support tizen and for the epic image + the Oneconnect which is great. Will switch to oled next year.

Still, top TVs Are more expensive than phones so maybe you should expect better software? If you pay 5000-10000 Euro maybe your tv shall work a bit better even if you dont use it?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2016-10-20 at 16:34.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
TV!? WTF is people still use TV? It is deprecated long ago.

A use my laptop for film/documentary/news.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb

the thing is, you can't actually avoid smart TV. Especially if you go for some higher model.
So, since I/him/we/most of us end up with one it's OK to explore, compare and bitch about how shitty they are since we paid for them.
It's not that I expected root and CM or some other custom rom or something like a giant tablet that can do wonders. But It would be nice that those 1% of android features and features that one expects from the TV just work.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
A use my laptop for film/documentary/news.
So would I if I were a student or a single man living in a studio flat the size of a shoe box. But we old farts with a family want to sit down on the sofa with the whole family and watch together.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
So would I if I were a student or a single man living in a studio flat the size of a shoe box. But we old farts with a family want to sit down on the sofa with the whole family and watch together.
Add the experiance to that too, some stuff is not even visible in 17 inch screen

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Thanks for replying Dave.

Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
the thing is, you can't actually avoid smart TV. Especially if you go for some higher model.
So, since I/him/we/most of us end up with one it's OK to explore, compare and bitch about how shitty they are since we paid for them.
Yeah I agree, just curious whether the smart features were seen as a positive when making a decision about what to purchase.

In my mind some smart features are actually a negative - I wouldn't want my TV, running some embedded OS that will definitely not receive security updates for the whole of its life, to be networked... that's both an unnecessary security risk and an easy mechanism for manufacturers to collect usage stats and other tracking BS.

I just want it to have a good picture and sound, have built-in digital receiver / "freeview" and maybe some storage for recording programmes. And good ports... that's it. I'll leave the networking to software I can trust and maintain properly.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Also, do smart TVs now have better support for open file formats and codecs? The last one I used wouldn't play most .mkv files, which was really frustrating. It's not like they would have had to pay loads in royalties to support the extra formats.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Yeah I agree, just curious whether the smart features were seen as a positive when making a decision about what to purchase.

In my mind some smart features are actually a negative - I wouldn't want my TV, running some embedded OS that will definitely not receive security updates for the whole of its life, to be networked... that's both an unnecessary security risk and an easy mechanism for manufacturers to collect usage stats and other tracking BS.

I just want it to have a good picture and sound, have built-in digital receiver / "freeview" and maybe some storage for recording programmes. And good ports... that's it. I'll leave the networking to software I can trust and maintain properly.
I totally agree. When I had to buy my TV (2 years ago), I looked specifically to TVs that didn't have smart features (as I use a HTPC with OpenELEC). Wasn't easy to find it then, so I can expect it to be very hard to find a non smart TV now that has a good picture and sound quality and a decent size. I can find some 32 inches TV without smart features, but everything above is smart.

I hope my TV will last as long as possible, until the industry finds out that they are some people wanting dump TVs.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Malakai For This Useful Post: