Banned | Posts: 726 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Gravesend, UK
This Democracy should have me as the Dicktator.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I think you misspelled... nevermind.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
from timetable posted earlier, the elections should end today after about 5 hours, I haven't voted yet, and I searched but found no where to place a vote, can you please redirect me ?

thanks in advance
There was no need for council election as exactly three people were nominated. In addition to myself, the other council members will be:

Momcilo Majic (momcilo)
Jeremiah Foster (jeremiah)

Thanks to all of those who participated in the discussion surrounding the future of maemo.org prior to the election. Ultimately, none of the persons who advocated shutting down maemo or transitioning it to meego ran for council. I think it was good that the discussion, although heated at times, did not continue on as part of a divisive, partisan election. Hopefully, we can all now move forward together as an independent self-governing community intent on promoting the use of maemo software on pocketable devices.

The new council's term begins tomorrow. Please be patient in your expectation of what three people can do in their limited spare time and volunteer to do what you can for the community.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Ultimately, none of the persons who advocated shutting down maemo or transitioning it to meego ran for council.
Yes, and I didn't run for Council either.

Despite how I am sometimes characterized, I really hope Maemo continues on for as long as there are devices that can run it and people who care about it. I do believe a very long life for Maemo is possible.

The great Maemo-MeeGo irony is that it looks like the Maemo infrastructure will outlive the MeeGo infrastructure, as MeeGo is abandoned by Intel now as well.

And there'll be a little bit of nice news soon in the area of Nokia support of Maemo; that warms my heart, too.

Good luck to the newly self-appointed council. I really wish we could have elections again; it is tough being the supposed representatives of a community that didn't have an opportunity to vote for you. You can't really claim to have a mandate, and you're really only council members because nobody else bothered to nominate themselves.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
... You can't really claim to have a mandate, and you're really only council members because nobody else bothered to nominate themselves.
Yes, like always nobody wants to do the work, but give advices. So mine is: Some of the new council members opens a thread for everyone to thank and bump as a vote for example. This would solve the problem with the mandate.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sethkha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by sethkha View Post
Yes, like always nobody wants to do the work, but give advices. So mine is: Some of the new council members opens a thread for everyone to thank and bump as a vote for example. This would solve the problem with the mandate.
No, it wouldn't. The participation in clicking Thanks on TMO is not equivalent to actually contributing to the community.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
No, it wouldn't. The participation in clicking Thanks on TMO is not equivalent to actually contributing to the community.
Sure, but nobody said that (?) My point was, that the rest here still interested in maemo/tmo can show their support for the new council and give them a mandate that way.

For me, rules are clear. No one was denied right to nominate her/him into Council elections, by any unfair means. It's clear in the rules, that - when we have 3 people nominated - all are approved. If people didn't wanted to candidate, it's clear that they/we voted for ones that nominated themselves already.

So, while I don't think qole mean any offense, posting about "self-appointed" Council seems little out of line IMO. Council was appointed by Community - apparently, information about who candidate were freely available, same apply for info that they will pass without election, if no one else want to participate. So, by acting as *we* (community) acted, we (community) decided that votes are not needed. It was not decision from "up".

While I was also rather like to have voting, it is also due to my (lack of) action, same apply for qole or sethkha or anyone else. Council is *not* self-appointed. It's elected by well-known and fair rules + action (or lack of) from community members.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
you are 100% right. But still there's a difference (for some, or some could make one in the future) between "The community showed their support for the council" and "estel said it's OK"

I don't get You. It is not about "i've said it's ok". It's about clear rules, and Community participating in it the way, that doesn't involve voting. Are you trying to just troll me, or I've misunderstood You?
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:

Tags
council, elections