Notices

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
I have been looking into code by JLDiaz and Will Woods for the wiimote and wiicontrol. The wiicontrol was almost end-user ready, so I pimped it a bit and made the first easy to use version of it.

Install first python (canola or ukmp should do the trick)

Install wiicontrol from here:
https://garage.maemo.org/frs/downloa...ol-1.0_all.deb

Once you run wiicontrol, it asks you to press 1+2 on your wiimote. Do so. A few secs passes and voila. You have a nicely working controller for games / presentation use.

Works brilliantly for Doom, Bomberman, emulators, or even as remote for music playback.

Anyway, this is the first version, so don't be surprised it all doesn't go as planned.

The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to konttori For This Useful Post:
Ah, the code already has partial support for accelerometers as well, so I'll try to investigate those soon a bit as well. Also, I would really like to get the keymaps to be user configurable. For now, you can also just edit the code, layout is in the form of:

This is the default mapping:
mapping={
'U': ["a Left"],
'D': ["a Right"],
'L': ["a Down"],
'R': ["a Up"],
'A': ["k F4"], # Application menu
'+': ["k F7"], # Zoom/volume +
'-': ["k F8"], # Zoom/volume -
'1': ["a Space"],
'2': ["a Return"]
}

This may seem like a dumb question but would it be possible to get this to run with fceu, or any other game, and if so how?

Do you think it would be possible to specify mapping dependent on the program? So if Canola was the main window on the screen it would have specific functions, but if you closed it and loaded.. so LX Doom it would switch to that config automatically based on window detection?

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

You can run fceu with it. It basically maps the wiimote keys to actual key events on the device, so it works for all applications (even browsing).

In theory, it could have window dependent functionality, but it's more trouble than it's worth IMHO. I'll try to get the user configurable set to the application this weekend. It will also come with gamepad mode and browser mode, which should provide good base level to start with.

I was also yesterday able to get the accelerometers working and I was just playing doom by leaning the wiimote left and right - really nice. However, it's now binding to the keys and firing key events really quickly, so for other than doom, the gyro stuff isn't quite there yet.

Link to the gyro test version. You need to click on the gyro link to activate it. When it's activated, the processor consumption will go a bit up and wiimote will actually activate the gyros, which causes power drain on the wiimote.

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Urho, perhaps you should do a short Youtube clip on this, people would get more excited.

Yeah, I had too little time to do it yesterday and we have Vappu today, so today after work and the next one or two days in finland are strictly only for partying. So, cannot make that until the weekend.

Alternate methods for dealing with accelerometers: map them as mouse events; either absolute screen position from orientation, or relative as long as orientation is maintained; the mouse_poll program (used in the world famous USB and BT mouse support) here could be a helpful example/place to rip code from.

(You mean playing Doom with wiimote is not partying? Or does it just stop being a party when the camera starts rolling?)

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:

The Following User Says Thank You to konttori For This Useful Post: