Active Topics

Notices

is there any way to control remote Mac software via NIT? in the first place the apps of interest would be VLC, iTunes and Transmission torrent client, but controlling all the applications would be nice, if possible.

as for now i've found RemoteBuddy, but i also would be grateful if someone could point me to possible alternatives? are there any?

also, if someone's interested, then specifically for iTunes there's quite nice (and free) browserTunes program.

thank you.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Remote Buddy is the way to go. Works great with MicroB and is very customizable.

but aren't there any our usual free and open-source alternatives?

You could just VNC into your computer (thus having access to everything on your computer) and control it from there.

Not the prettiest solution but it works pretty well.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

You could do it yourself with a web server on your mac (apache) and cgi applescripts. There's some pretty detailed instructions in "Applescript: The Definitive Guide"

I'm using LogMeIn Free, you may want to check it out. My needs are somewhat specific so it may not suit everyone.
For iTunes, I bought CoverBuddy a while ago it has its own web interface optimized for PSP but needless to say, it works wonderfully for N800 as well.

VNC and LogMeIn doesn't suite because i use two 20'' monitors (and therefore all that scrolling will drive me crazy ). also, those products (i.e. protocols they are using) are pretty slow .

as for applescript and websever... well, i assume that it's quite possible, yes. or we may use even ssh, for example. but anyway it'd take some time to arrange all those scripts. and, as mac-user , i really don't want to program or patch something anymore . that's why i've switched to mac.

there's also telekinesis program... but it just doesn't work on N800 (checks for Safari, i assume).

Last edited by tty; 2008-07-22 at 16:23.

Originally Posted by tty View Post
... i really don't want to program or patch something anymore . that's why i've switched to mac...
Because you switched to a Mac is WHY you are now having to jump through hoops. I can do amazing things remotely to my Linux machines using my N810. It does remote X apps through a SSH tunnel quite well (although I don't know how to do a center mouse click!).

Originally Posted by wartstew View Post
Because you switched to a Mac is WHY you are now having to jump through hoops. I can do amazing things remotely to my Linux machines using my N810. It does remote X apps through a SSH tunnel quite well (although I don't know how to do a center mouse click!).
You need to have xmodmap, and run a script like this (from the menu, osso-statusbar-cpu, or whatever):
Code:
#!/bin/sh
xmodmap -e "pointer = 2 3 1"
sleep 5
xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 2 3"
That sets it to do a middle click when you single click for the next 5 seconds, then sets it back. You can get right-click the same way, but change the first mapping to 3 2 1.

On consideration, you undoubtedly have xmodmap on the server, so you might run it there.

Posts: 425 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ California
For VLC you can use its built in web interface.

On the mac go to the VLC menu and mouse over "Add Interface". Choose "Web interface" then on your local network enter the following URL into your tablet's web browser:

http://<Your Computer's IP>:8080/?

if needed you can find your desktop's IP address by going into System Preferences --> Network.

There's also instructions here for creating a web-remote interface for iTunes.

Hope this helps

Warning: dates on calendar are closer than they appear.

The Following User Says Thank You to josiahg777 For This Useful Post: