Notices

Hello. I just recently got a n900. Everything was cool until i wanted to install evince. I downloaded an install file from mymaemo. It said it needed to add repositories so i said ok. Now when i load the app manager nothing shows up as downloads or uninstalls or even libraries. And i didnt even get evince! Any ideas?

Last edited by Stereoprism; 2013-01-04 at 17:45.

Posts: 132 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ jodhpur
make sure you are connected to internet.
the app manager will download the app you are trying to install from repo.

a reboot will solve your problem.
after reboot go to x terminal and type-
sudo gainroot
apt-get update
and don't start app manager before it complete.
internet connection is needed.

Yes i am connected thru wifi. When i load the manager and press downloads it shows the loading wheel next to the top menu and it goes on and on with nothing displaying.

Alright, tried the xterm and this is what i got:

: Could not open lock file /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (13 Permission denied)
E: Unable to lock the list directory

not sure what to do now

Originally Posted by Stereoprism View Post

: Could not open lock file /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (13 Permission denied)

not sure what to do now
it means app manager is running.

not sure what to do now
It means the app manager is already running, when you connect to internet the app manager goes online (running in background) and looks for updates, if you give it some time and use the apt-get, it should work. Other then this try http://maemo.org/packages/view/fapman/ its a great application manager.

Well, i've given it about 15 minutes, and still getting the same xterm error. Btw it seems that app manager is just taking forever to load but the listings finally show up. I tried installing fapman, but the deb file brings up the app manager and never installs.

Posts: 26 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Dec 2012 @ Mandaluyong City, Philippines
try
Code:
sudo apt-get install fapman
to bypass app manager to install this.
also, if you are *absolutely* sure that app manager isn't running, you can manually remove the lockfile and everything might work then. maybe a reboot to make sure
Code:
sudo rm /var/lib/apt/lists/lock

Last edited by g.jie; 2013-01-05 at 19:44. Reason: added rm lockfile; clarified post

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Well, i've given it about 15 minutes, and still getting the same xterm error. Btw it seems that app manager is just taking forever to load but the listings finally show up.
That's my experience too. Sometimes it takes up to 30 minutes for app manager to catch its breath after you update the repositories. No idea why.

BTW fapman (Faster Application Manager) really stands up to its name. Trust me.