Poll: SolarTOH, you want?
Poll Options
SolarTOH, you want?

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by dirkvl View Post
so
- you know i answered earlier
- you know it is not going to happen
IIRC I've seen you answer Qns like this before, but, I don't recall you saying that you don't intend to do anything like that, ever.

- you know you asked earlier
- you have already expressed your demand/interest via the poll
- you know that i am aware of the demand/interest, hence and because of the poll
but still you feel the need to express your feelings in a topic that is only about this concept and getting this concept working.
this whole discussion is off-topic and unnecessary as it is a complete repetition of earlier statements.
I didn't know it was something you're so sensitive about, I'll endeavour not to raise it again, can't promise it'll never happen, but I'll try.
Odd that it's something you'd rule-out as 'never happening', I don't think you're doing yourself a favour with such absolute thinking, but it's your project.
Some combos are completely unrealistic sure, but not necessarily others...

Anyway, I see no point in starting a dedicated KSTOH thread, that must be started by you, & your heart must be in it too.
If it's not then me starting one is a waste of time, as I won't be the one driving it, & there's no one else I'm aware of that would be.

/end off-topic

Last edited by jalyst; 2014-09-05 at 17:43.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,104 | Thanked: 5,652 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland
considering parts, labour, shipping, tax, development of other projects, risk and profit;

what would be a fair price for the SolarTOH?

The Following User Says Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
considering parts, labour, shipping, tax, development of other projects, risk and profit;

what would be a fair price for the SolarTOH?
If jolla was not burning somewhere those 80mA it would be priceless for outdoor lovers and i'd buy one if it was somewhere near 100EUR. Just my 2 cents

well I don't know the cost of the parts nor how long itll take to make one...

so I cant really say what price id think would be fair

personally id like it to be less than 100EUR but LOL THIS IS A SOLARTOH!!! you throw ur wallet for something like that! happy to pay the cost

Posts: 586 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Does it come in black?

The Following User Says Thank You to Makeclick For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Makeclick View Post
Does it come in black?
White, blue, red, purple, pink, yellow, green, orange, black, alumide

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
White, blue, red, purple, pink, yellow, green, orange, black, alumide
You had me at purple!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to mariusmssj For This Useful Post:
SolarTOH is open for pre-order

Results from 1 hour test: http://goo.gl/gzzlvN

Don't know if after pre-order campaign all colours will still be available. Delivery first half of November, primarily due to waiting on custom panels.

Last edited by dirkvl; 2014-09-09 at 13:04.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by psonek View Post
If jolla was not burning somewhere those 80mA it would be priceless for outdoor lovers and i'd buy one if it was somewhere near 100EUR. Just my 2 cents
I'm quite possibly the target market for solar charging my phone. I spend days on end away from any power sources sometimes bicycle touring.

I don't think a SolarTOH is very useful to me.

1) it's on the back. My phone is usually facing up, on my bars with mapping running or in a bag keeping dry. It'd not get any charge.

2) I'm always moving so keeping it facing sunlight would be tricky. Also, northern Europe so not exactly guaranteed sunshine.

3) It's too small to generate enough power compared to hub generators or much larger solar panels. I use a hub generator - 6v 3w at average cycling speed which feeds a buffer battery and then delivers USB 5v.

4) You'd have to leave the phone out in the open for hours to charge which generally isn't something you want to do with expensive kit on campsites or whatever.

What I need is a mega efficient transparent solar panel on the front of the phone so you could have it face up and using it.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Hmmm... while it seems awesome for a fishing trip, I wonder about the survivability of the panels, since no cover seems to exist in current model. Are they rugged enough to not have to carry it in a separate container? (extra battery pack would then have advantage of not having to depend on weather) Will they survive normal usage? (I'm probably just paranoid, like when I heard about magnets in OH, for someone growing up with floppies magnets next to electronics seemed like crazy idea)

Last edited by szopin; 2014-09-10 at 00:12. Reason: shipping->fishing