I love this phone...i really do. The ability to hack the damn thing to pieces is awesome...but i mean, i also want something i can rely on, whether that be in the Music department, loads of apps and other stuff! And i mean, i think despite the N900's open sourceness, i just see a friend with an iPhone, and the way the music is handled flawlessly...not to mention the apps, makes you think, this phone is left in the wild abit...

I dunno, i personally hate iPhones, but even Android phones can pull it off...why not maemo?

Thanks to the utterly rubbish Nokia team, this phone is slowly dying.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M00NB34M For This Useful Post:
Posts: 579 | Thanked: 286 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Australia
if u want a phone for apps = iphone, android
if u want a phone for games = iphone, android

the n900 is something different. it did take me a while to realise that. when you start making your own apps and scripts, you realise this phone is an education tool. a hacking device. a device to make the hardware and software do what you want. this is what i want in a phone.

but

nokia is slow. slow slow. i know you have to wait for good things but the world around nokia has pushed ahead in sales. wow factor and form factor. nokia need to change and learn from the rest.
open source is not for everyone. to leave everything to developers to patch like MMS and flash 10.1 is great for us to learn BUT very very bad buisness. most ppl are not techies. jesus my 50 year old house wife woggy mum can use a iphone

Last edited by felbutss; 2010-05-24 at 19:44.

The Following User Says Thank You to felbutss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,169 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ sunderland
im still loving it, im sure others are too, bit sick of threads like this tho, dont really see any point to them, will my phone do more amazing stuff because of this thread? i doubt it.
how anyone thinks there owed an update or more apps is beyond me, if you bought the phone just use it or get a different one

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Originally Posted by leetut View Post
im still loving it, im sure others are too, bit sick of threads like this tho, dont really see any point to them, will my phone do more amazing stuff because of this thread? i doubt it.
how anyone thinks there owed an update or more apps is beyond me, if you bought the phone just use it or get a different one
One of the selling points of the n900 was the concept of downloading apps to the device.

Why would Nokia release an SDK for the device?

How many people would be happy if Apple and Google said "Here's some apps - that's all you are going to get. Get over it"?

If Nokia never intended to update the n900 then ok you would have a point.

The fact is an update does exist, has been leaked and still no indication if it will be released.

Your argument is feeble.

The Following User Says Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:
As much as I love my N900 I hate Nokia just as much. Their commitment to Symbian in a way ****s it up for the N900. They are building all the hype around N8 now which IMO is going to be a total disaster.

Nokia should've/could've focused on N900 to make it better then what it already is. I certainly do hope they give N9X0 the attention.

Look at Apple (I hate them) but they simply have the most stunning marketing. They are focused on just one product (mobile), which they nurture, polish and it rewards them. Mind you it's a high risk business wise to do that (since they rely so much on the success) yet they ensure what they deliver is the best and it turns out to be really successful for them (so far).

I only wished Nokia had done the same with some of their devices if not all.

PS. I hate Apple and the iPhone more then Nokia.

The Following User Says Thank You to xuggs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 579 | Thanked: 286 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Australia
Originally Posted by leetut View Post
i agree 130%. but the n900 is not sold as a geek phone. it is sold world wide through telcos and advertised as an amazing multimedia device. the n900 IS A GEEK PHONE. this means you will get people buying a device which is waayyy out of their league and knowledge. nokias fault. these people will come here and vent. let em vent just avoid reading these threads. i also got the wrong idea. nokia and their marketing............lets not go there

The Following User Says Thank You to felbutss For This Useful Post:
The N900 is still the best phone out there all considered. Not for much longer though. Unless Nokia confirms a full working MeeGo on the N900, the N8 will kill it.

The excitement over Maemo/N900 is lacking at Nokia (or Nokia cannot afford it anymore), and now this lack of excitement is affecting us.

I'm starting to doubt the whole MeeGo-thing as well. There is nothing happening at their web site.

One of the reasons I bought the n900 was because is was Linux and open-source.

This meant that if Nokia somehow screws-up with the device (e.g. lack of support - no updates) then at least I can program the device as I see fit - If I am really brave cross-compile software too.

I expected this a few years down the line but f*** me Nokia managed it in only a few months!

It's a shame it is turning out this way but at least the n900 is future-proof for the time-being.

I love this device and I use it all the time and to me will be useful for the next couple of years.

Last edited by johnel; 2010-05-24 at 20:25.

The Following User Says Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:
MeeGo is actualy progressing well :http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=50763&page=6

Originally Posted by xuggs View Post
As much as I love my N900 I hate Nokia just as much. Their commitment to Symbian in a way ****s it up for the N900. They are building all the hype around N8 now which IMO is going to be a total disaster.

Nokia should've/could've focused on N900 to make it better then what it already is. I certainly do hope they give N9X0 the attention.

Look at Apple (I hate them) but they simply have the most stunning marketing. They are focused on just one product (mobile), which they nurture, polish and it rewards them. Mind you it's a high risk business wise to do that (since they rely so much on the success) yet they ensure what they deliver is the best and it turns out to be really successful for them (so far).

I only wished Nokia had done the same with some of their devices if not all.

PS. I hate Apple and the iPhone more then Nokia.
This is worse than an apple to orange comparison. Apple makes the iPhone only. Nokia makes billions of phones, where the N900 and N8 are curiosities in the big picture, the same is the iPhone.

The N8 will be a huge success, there is no doubt in my mind. It will be the new N95, only much better and much cheaper, and also comes at a right time to take over for the hugely successful 5800. There is also a large demand for cheap qwerty phones, this is where the C3 comes, and will probably sell buckets more than the iPhone.

Tags
what do, you mean?