Active Topics

Notices

Over at https://etherpad.mozilla.org/wBl6lIaQC2 someone requested a version of FastDOSBox. So I've had a play and here's where I'm at.

I've adapted all of the patches from dosbox-0.74-0maemo6. They will all apply but I've disabled a few mouse related ones in this build. The performance doesn't seem as great as the claims would make you believe, at least with the few apps I've tested.

As I'm not currently convinced this is worth uploading to extras-devel considering we have dosbox there already, I would rather get some user input first before deciding what to do with it.

The package conflicts with dosbox because they share the same binary name. Due to size I can't upload here, so instead I've uploaded it to dropbox at the link below. Source is included for those who want to look it over or enable the remaining patches.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/p8vz5z5aw...7YcsIK4vkW7wba

Last edited by Android_808; 2014-06-14 at 11:40.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Either I'm blind, or the performance isn't any better than in the thing we already had? Or It's just reverse-placebo effect, as I'm biased against the android "miracle" dosbox versions, that are hoax in at least 99% of cases... (100% if this one turn to be a hoax, too)/

I think the only way to determine it for sure, would be to do some comparable tests - like, checking FPS of few games that are good candidates for measurement... Any ideas? System Shock came to my mind, immediately.

Or, anyone is able to actually determine what in the sources of fastdosbox could, potentially, give performance boosts that they claim to achieve? (Yes, I understand that code review isn't so easy task).

/Estel

// Edit

It could not be obvious from the tone of my post - I'm very grateful, that you have used your time to compile it and allow us testing! Even if it won't work as advertised, we would never know, without trying.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
I remember you said about system shock before when I mentioned it somewhere but I didn't have it. I did a quick test with one game, can't remember which and it was real slow with both versions.

I've had it kicking about for a few months now so I thought I'd finish editing the control files etc (still missed a few bits like maintainer), upload it and get some feed back.

It didn't take long to re-base the patches, so I figured it was worth a shot. In all fairness I would rather not have to deal with it. I don't know if there's an upstream git/svn repo. Without knowing the exact upstream git commit their source is based on I have no easy way of finding what they have changed or why.

Now onto another project that will not leave /scratchbox/devkits/python-legacy/bin/python alone.

Last edited by Android_808; 2014-05-18 at 21:04.

The Following User Says Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
ah yes, system shock.... it runs faster on NITdroid then on native Maemo..
here are 2 videos i took a long time ago:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUqmioQO-H0

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIy4DQY4aFA
the last video has an error (wrong text). I've 'corrected it' with an annotation. you'll see it if you watch it on a computer.

The Following User Says Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
If it really run faster on NitDroid, then there *maybe* is something that we can lend from their code, and Android_808 may be on something.

Still, judging by your video,s I really don't see the improvement, apart from mouse *not* going crazy in AnDosbox (probably, thanks to screen stretching) Maybe a little, but I wouldn't call it a breakthrough.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Still, judging by your video,s I really don't see the improvement, apart from mouse *not* going crazy in AnDosbox (probably, thanks to screen stretching) Maybe a little, but I wouldn't call it a breakthrough.

/Estel
Have you watched the second video that I've posted?
You would notice a huge difference...

Yes, i'm talking about the 2nd video, 3th dosbox there (after Maemo's one, Adosbox, and finally, AnDosbox). It might be the video quality (or my visual recognition skills just sucked that moment), but I judged it as about 2-3 FPS more + music playing much better, probably due to larger sound buffer, hardcoded/set in AnDosbox (easy to check - you can set large buffer in Maemo's dosbox, too). The unit seemed to lack some frames of animation all the same, it looked like just non-crazy mouse helped you to get it as more responsive.

But, as said, I might just sucked at comparing. If it's really faster, I wonder what code changes helped. Damn Android kids, couldn't they document their patches?! How anyone is supposed to track changes from mainstream Dosbox in the mess that ADosbox/AnDosbox code is? Gitorious doesn't bite...

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

Yes, i'm talking about the 2nd video, 3th dosbox there (after Maemo's one, Adosbox, and finally, AnDosbox). It might be the video quality (or my visual recognition skills just sucked that moment), but I judged it as about 2-3 FPS more + music playing much better, probably due to larger sound buffer, hardcoded/set in AnDosbox (easy to check - you can set large buffer in Maemo's dosbox, too). The unit seemed to lack some frames of animation all the same, it looked like just non-crazy mouse helped you to get it as more responsive.

But, as said, I might just sucked at comparing. If it's really faster, I wonder what code changes helped. Damn Android kids, couldn't they document their patches?! How anyone is supposed to track changes from mainstream Dosbox in the mess that ADosbox/AnDosbox code is? Gitorious doesn't bite...

/Estel
Well.. There is a new DosBox app for Android now: DosBox Turbo
And this one really stands out!!

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxturbo/

From the website:
https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxturbo/gpl
GPL Questions:
  • Where can I get the source?

Per the terms of the GPL, the source code is provided along with the binary APK that I distribute on the Google Play marketplace.
  • Why isn't DosBox Turbo free?

The small fee supports development of new features and enhancements to make an even better product. It also allows me to support, you, the users by providing bug fixes and new feature requests as well as e-mail support. As long as there is demand, I will continue to regularly add new features and enhancements to DosBox Turbo.

It stands out by performance gains, or by the "GPL questions" section? Before anyone spend time compiling it for Maemo, it would be worthwhile to know if if really "shines" (and if yes, how big the difference is) or is another hoax.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

It stands out by performance gains, or by the "GPL questions" section? Before anyone spend time compiling it for Maemo, it would be worthwhile to know if if really "shines" (and if yes, how big the difference is) or is another hoax.

/Estel
Check this video http://youtu.be/ko8n9LUrAMc