Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by epninety View Post
A keyboard as good as a Psion5 would be a very big draw for me. It's very tempting, but between the GPD Pocket and Chens promised 'Lauta' homage, I don't think Gemini are going to get my money.
Thank you! It's an honour!

I apologise we are getting quiet recently - I want to make the Moto Keyboard Mod as good as I can, then I will focus on this successor. I only release the product I am happy with myself.

I am aiming for Mid-October that we can get all the Moto Keyboard business completed with R&D and I will make Lauta back to your hand.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
@handaxe, I may be wrong but I believe @gerbick was making an ironic remark about some missing zeroes.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Info about linux in the comments:
They were only using the X25 chipset but I saw Linux via chroot from Android and also direct boot to Debian. They are using LK as the bootloader. The benefit of Linux inside Android was that you could use the android modem and wifi drivers and that you could do what you needed quickly without having to reboot. It also used an Android SDL Xserver.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ravelo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
@handaxe, I may be wrong but I believe @gerbick was making an ironic remark about some missing zeroes.
Ah, quite right - not the actual downgrade but the one reported here. Less haste etc.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
The guy met with the CEO and CTO of the company behind the Gemini PDA last night, and got his hands on their prototypes. Here is the report in his blog:
Digital devices for world travellers
Thursday, 14 September 2017
https://hasbrouck.org/blog/archives/002303.html
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
MWC America video showing Gemini PDA team :
Checking out a Phone with Android, Linux & a Physical Keyboard
Remember the Psion? I do. It was a pretty awesome PDA for its time and now it's back as the Gemini PDA. We spoke with Davide to find out why they're building it and who it's for.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSNFgEyWBGo
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2017-09-18 at 03:25.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
They now have a video showing their prototype doing some stuff:

I'm looking forward to seeing more of them!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
I played with the production samples at Gitex in Dubai. They look good, and the guys are working on getting Linux on the device.

Some of the problem is down to Mediatek, because their release is Android-only, which means things either have to be rewritten or libhybris has to be used to call the Android kernel drivers — which means, in turn, being stuck on the same release as Android.

The Planet guys are pressuring Mediatek, and we should all do the same. One of the Mediatek guys actually told me that some of the kernel modules are written for them by Google. I’m not sure it’s true, but things are probably more complicated than we would like!

Anyway, progress is being made. I’ll check in with the Planet guys here in London once work slows down a bit.

T

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ttmooney For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Originally Posted by ttmooney View Post
I played with the production samples at Gitex in Dubai. They look good, and the guys are working on getting Linux on the device.

Some of the problem is down to Mediatek, because their release is Android-only, which means things either have to be rewritten or libhybris has to be used to call the Android kernel drivers — which means, in turn, being stuck on the same release as Android.

The Planet guys are pressuring Mediatek, and we should all do the same. One of the Mediatek guys actually told me that some of the kernel modules are written for them by Google. I’m not sure it’s true, but things are probably more complicated than we would like!

Anyway, progress is being made. I’ll check in with the Planet guys here in London once work slows down a bit.

T

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
surprise surprise

they can't even support android properly. Every Android TV (sony, philips, TLC) is based on mediacrap SoC and every update to new android brought a bunch of new problems that were never resolved. They don't use officail android APIs
and bunch of stuff that worked on lollypop was broken with MM and never fixed. And those who did received Nougat still have the same problems.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
That's very nice to hear!

Do you know which are the problematic part? Ie. what works on the mainline kernel and what doesn't?

I personally would be okay with libhybris as well, as long as I can then use my preferred desktop environment and apps.

I wouldn't be surprised if that were true.

If you do, please share the story with us.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post: