Notices

Posts: 200 | Thanked: 300 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by nicholes View Post
that would be very nice! i storngly agree that, this option must be added!!
I'm on vacation right now, but when I'm home, I will probably implement this new option...

The Following User Says Thank You to digitalvoid For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by systemcrash View Post
If you use gmail, then your mail server is smtp.gmail.com.
tnkx a lot.

I have 1question for u - Suppose if it is trying to send a mail then it requires gprs or wifi conn. How smscon makes it when it requires users interfere to select the conn(gprs/wifi) out of available connection.

I got this doubt because I'm facing some problem with my gprs conn. My phone is trying to connect gprs automatically, even if i'm not using gprs. and its even not asking which gprs/wifi conn to use. its using the default sim's gprs setting.
I'm facing this problem from the time i have clicked on test email option in smscon editor. This problem still persists even i have clicked end test.

Posts: 1,103 | Thanked: 368 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ india, indore
Originally Posted by ajayhn View Post
tnkx a lot.

I have 1question for u - Suppose if it is trying to send a mail then it requires gprs or wifi conn. How smscon makes it when it requires users interfere to select the conn(gprs/wifi) out of available connection.

I got this doubt because I'm facing some problem with my gprs conn. My phone is trying to connect gprs automatically, even if i'm not using gprs. and its even not asking which gprs/wifi conn to use. its using the default sim's gprs setting.
I'm facing this problem from the time i have clicked on test email option in smscon editor. This problem still persists even i have clicked end test.
to avoid automatically conn. Go to settings--internet conn.-- And change it to conect automatically to wifi or always ask.

get your smooth live wallpaper today
My YouTube videos

Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
@digitalvoid: nice app. while testing i found that i'm not able to recieve any mail with picture. while configuring i have given ADDRESS as my email id, MAILING SERVER as "www.gmail.com" as i have a account in google. and i have given respective USERNAME and PASSWORD. can u help me if i have missed out anything.
Are you able to send simple mail or this fails too.
If the first then your GPRS has a very low limit and you need to contact your provider.
if the second case then look the documentation.

Originally Posted by mrp View Post
I installed smscon too and am now trying to get email notification to work. I have gmail on my N900 and have used the same settings- server smtp.gmail.com, port 465, username password. With my gmail account n900 mail I can send messages but with smscon editor test I get no messages through
Follow what you see in the documentation:
http://wiki.maemo.org/SMSCON_Editor#...figuration_tab

It is known to work.

tnkx a lot.

When you activated SMSCON it switched the internet connection to GPRS also in the settings. This is done always on activation by sending a command.
To revert: go to "Settings" > "Internet connections" and set again your preferred settings.

tnkx Nicholes and Saturn, now i find it easy to use. @Saturn: Ya i'm not able to send mail yet thru test email option in smscon editor. but as u said the conn speed is not so bad as i can send huge mails thru my mailbox frm my phone. anyway i'll go thru that config doc u mentioned.

its working fine with port number 587, as given in dat config(link mentioned in above post). tnkx again saturn

I think this has been raised before, but is there any chance that SMSCON could use WiFi if already connected? I'm not expecting a new setting or anything, simply that if the phone is already online then no need to make any changes.

I know that you aren't keen to make many changes to SMSCON any more but:-
With ENABLECHECKHOST enabled wouldn't it be simpler to run the script found directly? This would mean I could host a shell script of my choosing and change it AFTER my phone is lost or stolen.

SMSCON is a brilliant idea and I feel much more secure now that I have it installed and configured. My only slight concern is that all of the options involve knowing ahead of time what you will want it to do. If we could run a remotely hosted shell script then the capabilities of SMSCON become endless!

the best anti theft app ever.
i have one question though, and i dont know if it already has been asked because there are too many posts to read, but is it possible to hide the received command sms so that the person who has the phone doesnt notice them? also has smth been done with the icon so that it can be only xterm startable? thanks for the answers

Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
Originally Posted by ssterjo View Post
the best anti theft app ever.
i have one question though, and i dont know if it already has been asked because there are too many posts to read, but is it possible to hide the received command sms so that the person who has the phone doesnt notice them?
yes, it has been discussed. In short, the components for this part are closed and noone came (yet) with a hack to block them

also has smth been done with the icon so that it can be only xterm startable? thanks for the answers
You can remove (as root) the desktop file
Code:
rm /usr/share/applications/hildon/smscon-editor.desktop

Originally Posted by Saturn View Post
yes, it has been discussed. In short, the components for this part are closed and noone came (yet) with a hack to block them

You can remove (as root) the desktop file
Code:
rm /usr/share/applications/hildon/smscon-editor.desktop
thanks a lot. i have just one more question. why do i receive emails when i use the phone myself (i.e. when i open the slide)? of course i have activated these options, but it shouldn do it with my card, with a saved imsi right?