Ok new question, I shut down 3g since in my country it's pretty useless beside for net speed(wifi ftw) so now it stays at 2.5. Should it go to 2G or is this good enough?

With 3g off and it set at GSM it seems to last longer.

Posts: 216 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Switzerland
Yes I was standing in a store yesterday smilling like a 4 year old boy who is about to get his first bike for x-mas. Have not felt like this in about 10 year technology wise.

Today its already down to beeing a work tool (thats what I bought it for)

Here are some questions you might be able to answer for me.

a) It seems that it is not possilbe to add a contact, or shortcut twice.

Why would I love to do this. Since they are called shortcuts I don't want to switch desktops to get to some shortcuts. I have the phone shortcut on my main desktop but would like to have it on each of the desktops. (I know its a computer and not a phone but I still make calls)

Switching to portrait is one workaround to get the phone.

Another one is on desktop 1 I have my most importent contact (my wife of course) and some other stuff. On desktop two I have my other contacts, children and family. Now I would like to have my wife there as well.

b) Mail shortcuts - I would like a mail shortcut that would lead me to one of my many IMAP Mail Accounts.

c) I see the ovi map next in a contact. But it is not active. Why? I was expecting to click on it and it would take me to the map

d) QuickTime Support for watching trailers at apple.com/trailers

d) if you change icons on desktop once in a while you delete one by accident - it would be nice if you have an exit without saving option

e) rearanging desktops would be nice. not just show not show. drag and drop them to reorder.

f) I set the phone to english and the local setting to german. The date is still in english mm/dd . That does not make sence. I would love to have the menus and stuff in english but like the decimals and so on the date should be regional setting like

g) drag and drop bar does work the other way around then on windows/browser. If you pull the bar on the right side of the browser down the page will go up. In maemo it the other way around.

h) I turned of Touch screen vibration. how to I turn of the clicking when touching the screen?

i) take notification lights. there is no indication that there are more options then what you see on the screen. you have to try to scroll to find out if there is more

-------------------

Feedback

1) I love the device and think the usability is amazing. how easy to customize

2) battery is not yet good (from reading it needs some charging cycle and I have wifi on all the time

3) added zagg. applying no problem. after 6 hours seems to be clear. when using a sylus it feels rubbery. No problem using fingers

4) had some spontanious reboots yesterday. One thi morning 10 hours ago. will see how this will behave.

5) for someone who is willing to answer even though i could have searched. how do you check battery % and what is using CPU?

6) GPS fix very good at least in eCoach

Regards Markus

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by marktold View Post
Yes I was standing in a store yesterday smilling like a 4 year old boy who is about to get his first bike for x-mas. Have not felt like this in about 10 year technology wise.
Welcome to the club

No, this is currently not (easily) possible. There's workarounds to allow you to add duplicate shortcuts, but that's a bit messy.

Switching to portrait is one workaround to get the phone.
You can also always press the power button & select Phone from the popup menu.

b) Mail shortcuts - I would like a mail shortcut that would lead me to one of my many IMAP Mail Accounts.
Again, not currently possible.

g) drag and drop bar does work the other way around then on windows/browser. If you pull the bar on the right side of the browser down the page will go up. In maemo it the other way around.
That's because you're dragging the page, not the bar. The bar is just a visual cue, you can drag anywhere on the page.

h) I turned of Touch screen vibration. how to I turn of the clicking when touching the screen?
That's in the Profile settings, at the bottom (you need to scroll).

5) for someone who is willing to answer even though i could have searched. how do you check battery % and what is using CPU?
Battery percent (and other battery details) you can check in X Terminal by running "hal-device bme". There's also a couple of battery widgets available (though they may not have made it out of extras-devel or extras-testing yet). As for what is using CPU, you can use "top" from within X Terminal, or there's htop somewhere in extras, which is a bit easier to use.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:

c) I see the ovi map next in a contact. But it is not active. Why? I was expecting to click on it and it would take me to the map
I was also quite puzzled about this.

Posts: 216 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
That's because you're dragging the page, not the bar. The bar is just a visual cue, you can drag anywhere on the page.
I think it would be wise to be able to drag a bar. This would have two advantages

a) I think it would be faster you can drag it to the end instead of flipping your finger multipler times

b) More importent - It would prevent from accidentally selecting instead of scrolling the items on screen.

just my 2 cents on this

Markus

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I think this wiki page might have the workaround on it, but it is a workaround at best: http://wiki.maemo.org/Customizing_Maemo
d) if you change icons on desktop once in a while you delete one by accident - it would be nice if you have an exit without saving option
That's something that would best best suited to file in Maemo Brainstorm - check the wiki page on Brainstorm if you're not sure how it works.
f) I set the phone to english and the local setting to german. The date is still in english mm/dd . That does not make sence. I would love to have the menus and stuff in english but like the decimals and so on the date should be regional setting like
um.... you can, unless I'm missing something. Go to Settings->Language&Region
I presume you mean click *sounds*. :P And to clarify the previous poster's comment, you can change it in the Profile options in Settings, but not through the status bar profile switcher.

i) take notification lights. there is no indication that there are more options then what you see on the screen. you have to try to scroll to find out if there is more
I'm not sure exactly what you're getting at here, but as an FYI, LED notifications can be customized as per instructions on the wiki, although it's rather fiddly and technical.
2) battery is not yet good (from reading it needs some charging cycle and I have wifi on all the time
Well, it's designed to be connected to wifi all the time, and my experience with battery life is about what I expected - it gets me through a day at university, but I charge it when I get home. I think Nokia's working on software optimizations to improve that, but it is a pretty powerful phone. They've stated that their goal is one day of mixed usage, but YMMV.

If you want more detailed battery info (current charge capacity in mAh, current voltage, etc.), you can also type
lshal | grep battery
in the terminal. It's pretty verbose, though, and a bit obtuse, but it is comprehensive.

Have fun!

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
The thread "Yes I got my n900 - First impression what I am missing" with five posts has been merged into this thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by jaem View Post
um.... you can, unless I'm missing something. Go to Settings->Language&Region
No, the date is set based on the language preferences, not the regional preferences. If you want DD/MM instead of MM/DD you can change the language to "English (UK)" though.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
No, the date is set based on the language preferences, not the regional preferences. If you want DD/MM instead of MM/DD you can change the language to "English (UK)" though.
Ah, I missed that, I guess. On other Linux systems I'm used to, that goes with the regional preferences, and in some cases can be overridden as well. That's probably overkill for Maemo, but grouping it with the Language preferences is a bit silly, IMO.

Tags
first impressions, fremantle, impressions, initial impressions, maemo, maemo 5, moderator, n900, out of box, out of box experience, please merge, review, shiny