I'd like to compile gcc 4.5.1 for use in the scratchbox environment.

Tried building it in scratchbox, configures fine, when running `make bootstrap' the process bombs with cryptic errors, which I can't debug, mostly refering to errors linking files in build/.gcc/ dir, which however doesn't exist, so I assume something is going wrong, but can't trace it.

Even tried to build it directly on the N900, to see if it would go any further, but no go.

Anyone had success?

Or pointers?

Or ideas?

Have searched for references, but it seems nobody built 4.5.1 or 4.5 for use on the N900 or in scratchbox...

The Following User Says Thank You to 白い熊 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Maybe try using newer Scratchbox with newer toolchain, though I'm not guaranteeing that it will work.

http://www.scratchbox.org/

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Hi,

There is no toolchain for that version. So you will not succeed with this. The only way is waiting for an official updated version.

Daniel

The Following User Says Thank You to danielwilms For This Useful Post:
Hmm... Is it really that hopeless?

I've experience with LFS and so I'd think I'd be able to rebuild the necessary toolchain parts in scratchbox, in fact was expecting to do this, alas the errors I've encountered, unlike in other compilation projects, are not instructive enough for me to figure out which parts of the toolchain I need to update.

But surely the "official" developers must do it the same way? I.e. update the needed parts and then compile gcc smoothly even for the official repos, no?

Hi,

but even if you would succeed you would have to rebuild as well the closed-source packages, which would make it hard to benefit from it. A toolchain update is not a trivial task.

Daniel

Well, my plan was:

leave the installed default stuff in place, i.e. don't necessarily mess with the non-free stuff,

compile all needed free parts and install them in parallel with http://kumatux.org/

This allows you to have a number of versions of the same tools for instance installed in parallel without the system being messed up...

You might be able to use the linaro toolchain.

any news on this?