Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Sorry but for me the brand is not anymore decision driving parameter for a device, but OS certainly is. And "I have a nokia" is irrelevant in a discussion about phone OS's.

Also it's my opinion but I still think "I have a meego device" is really bad comparing to "I have a symbian phone" or "I have an android device" or something.
________
VAPORIZER VOLCANO

Last edited by qwazix; 2011-08-21 at 10:33.

Posts: 57 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted by MoJo View Post
Intel has chips not really much of a brand to market.
Pentium? thats a brand managed by Intel.. managed so well that the word ended up meaning 'good computer'

Saying you had a "pentium computer" to computer illiterate person meant you had a fast computer, they probably hadnt heard of Intel, couldnt even tell you what a cpu or pentium was, but the general public would instantly identify with the word Pentium and presume if it had one, it was good.... and its still true today to a great degree.

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
Sorry but for me the brand is not anymore decision driving parameter for a device, but OS certainly is. And "I have a nokia" is irrelevant in a discussion about phone OS's.

Also it's my opinion but I still think "I have a meego device" is really bad comparing to "I have a symbian phone" or "I have an android device" or something.
but why you then have "I have a Blackberry" on your list, and not "I have a BlackberryOS device"?
And yes, it's a matter of taste..
But think about the following:
"My car runs meego, my house-system runs meego, my TV runs meego, my netbook runs meego, my PND runs meego, my washing machine runs meego, my EVERYTHING runs meego. I AM meego, because I am what I think"

/me goes with meego

Originally Posted by lwa View Post
Pentium? thats a brand managed by Intel.. managed so well that the word ended up meaning 'good computer'

Saying you had a "pentium computer" to computer illiterate person meant you had a fast computer, they probably hadnt heard of Intel, couldnt even tell you what a cpu or pentium was, but the general public would instantly identify with the word Pentium and presume if it had one, it was good.... and its still true today to a great degree.
This is often NOT desirable as a marketing decision. Look for example how Google dislikes the use of the verb "google" to replace the word "search". http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2006/...ou-google.html Because tomorrow maybe all of us will "google" up on bing, yahoo or whatever, even if the original google dies up.

Maybe that is the reason pentium was quickly phazed out by intel, maybe that's the reason pentium is now a not-so-good computer, just above the celerons.
________
LIVE SEX WEBSHOWS

Last edited by qwazix; 2011-08-21 at 10:34.

Posts: 57 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Melbourne, Australia
I highly doubt Pentium was at risk of becoming a genericized trademark...

Google quite possibly could... point is that intel has managed a brand, and managed it very effectively...

Pentium wasnt quickly phased out? they used it from 1993 until 2008... they did try to phase it out to create a new brand for multicore processes but OEM manufacturers wanted them to keep the brand because it meant computer sales, so pentium stuck for another 2 years on dual-core cpu's

Posts: 91 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ UAE/Dubai/Burj Khalifa
LOL your name is Mojo and you hate Meego....why is that??

I thought a person with the name Mojo would be the one who would praise and like Meego

irony....or something related

Its time to stop posting!!!!!
http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/1646/stopposting.jpg

Originally Posted by lwa View Post
I highly doubt Pentium was at risk of becoming a genericized trademark...

Google quite possibly could... point is that intel has managed a brand, and managed it very effectively...

Pentium wasnt quickly phased out? they used it from 1993 until 2008... they did try to phase it out to create a new brand for multicore processes but OEM manufacturers wanted them to keep the brand because it meant computer sales, so pentium stuck for another 2 years on dual-core cpu's
I mean, quickly phazed out when the generalization started to happen. There are even songs with pentium in them (funny I must say, but anyway). Also I don't think pentium was a brand that needed much of a management. If we exclude the 4's and the D's they played with literally no competition, and they stood up to the expectations. You have a good product and crappy competition, for at least 3 years.
Also previous achievement's don't mean that today's choices are correct. Nokia's 4 digit branding was good for many years when the range was smaller, and the digits denoted the series (3 -> consumer, 6-> professional, 8->luxury, 9->communicators), and how advanced was the phone, (3110, 3210, 3310, 3330, 3410, 3510, 3530) Now the 4 digit branding has become pointless. Numbers are chosen almost randomly, some are even used twice over the years, phones get confused (5320, 5230) and there are so much phones that noone remembers them by heart.
________
Hot Box Vaporizer Information

Last edited by qwazix; 2011-08-21 at 10:34.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Because after Harmattan there will be nothing on Nokia phones that bears any resemblance to Maemo as it stands today. It will be something completely different (but hopefully just as open, if not moreso.)
??? How could it be "completely different" and not "bear any resemblance"? are they going to throw away linux, qt, gtk, dbus, x11, telepathy, ........?

I agree, MeeGo is not a very cool name.

But if you add a A, you can have AMeeGo (amigo = friend in spanish language). It will be just better.

Tags
leaving room for worse, meeleavin', meetrollin & meeflamin, megoing