Notices

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
Side note: @Marxian
The notion of a media group that's state funded (or as good as) is worthwhile because it is able to pursue activities that have no or only a long term financial return yet inform/entertain/etc.
I agree with this, but it's only valid if all members of the public can access the content, otherwise it cannot justifiably be called a public service. The BBC want to have their cake and eat it. They can choke on that cake for all I care. 99% of what they broadcast is trash, anyway. I gave up on TV a few years ago.

My website

GitHub

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Have just noticed that the "--mode=flashlow" stream is now working again, looks like emailing them worked!

Sadly the site still tells you that the N900 is not supported. (I've not tried HUA)

...perhaps more emails are required?

The Following User Says Thank You to JonWW For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by JonWW View Post
Have just noticed that the "--mode=flashlow" stream is now working again, looks like emailing them worked!

Sadly the site still tells you that the N900 is not supported. (I've not tried HUA)

...perhaps more emails are required?
Re: flashlow: I noticed this a few mins ago. Good news - dl'd bbc views play in stock player! W-Hoooo! Just tried flicking around with KMPlayer - for the flashstd stream, the sound goes out of sync with video; if anyone knows how to resolve this without O/C'ing - please post here.

Re: using the N900 to visit the iplayer site - you need to change the User Agent string; even then, the player prevents users with flash < 10.1 to view content, all the same, it's useful for searching and viewing the programme info.
Even Android users can't use iplayer on 3G and the absence of a Maemo5 client that takes into account our h/w and s/w capabilities is pretty much out of the question. So, we must use a web interface and some crafty hacks!
The workaround to view the iplayer site, without changing your UA, is to use the BigScreen version, which is designed for consoles (Wii etc.), which have flash 7(!!). The BigScreen version is fine for radio playback but because it's not very good at detecting speed, you have to use the 128kbps stream, thus chewing through the data if you're using 3G. BigScreen video streams are 800kbps so, unfortunately, too high for our little devices .

Very joyful that the 400kbps stream is back!

Edit: Does anyone have a work around or well-worked rtmpdump flags for other channels' OD services?

Last edited by demolition; 2011-12-10 at 07:34.

...Good news - dl'd bbc views play in stock player! W-Hoooo! Just tried flicking around with KMPlayer - for the flashstd stream, the sound goes out of sync with video...
I have always watched the flashlow stream with out any problem in the stock player, watching flashstd in KMPlayer even OCing to 1150Mhz KMPlayer occasionally alows the sound to go out of sync, a pause/play re-syncs it. I'm guessing it's caused by KMP hitting max CPU speed decoding the video and as a result cannot keep up with the sound. Running BatteryGraph shows the CPU is far from over stretched, but all it takes is one frame every now a then to hit the limit and it slowly goes out of sync. Loving the flashstd picture quality though.

Edit: Does anyone have a work around or well-worked rtmpdump flags for other channels' OD services?
Not sure what you mean here - do you mean BBC channels playing as you download or ITV etc...

The Following User Says Thank You to JonWW For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by JonWW View Post
I have always watched the flashlow stream with out any problem in the stock player, watching flashstd in KMPlayer even OCing to 1150Mhz KMPlayer occasionally alows the sound to go out of sync, a pause/play re-syncs it. I'm guessing it's caused by KMP hitting max CPU speed decoding the video and as a result cannot keep up with the sound. Running BatteryGraph shows the CPU is far from over stretched, but all it takes is one frame every now a then to hit the limit and it slowly goes out of sync. Loving the flashstd picture quality though.

Not sure what you mean here - do you mean BBC channels playing as you download or ITV etc...
I have similar experience with flashlow & flashstd (though found 850MHz sufficient for KMPlayer). And currenly running stock kernel so very annoyed when flashlow was off-air. If someone knows how to convert "Main" to "Baseline" on-device, please enlighten me/us.
This does not work:
ffmpeg -i video01.mp4 -acodec copy -vcodec copy -vpre "/usr/share/ffmpeg/h264-baseline" video02.mp4
Result: video02 is a copy of video01 and profile stays the same. Even using EasyDebian would be an option.

Interesting info about the increased power demand when frames "stick". I wonder if there's a tweak or work around one could use in KMPlayer so it skipped frames when the demand (power or cpu) spiked? I find the Ctrl+D frame drop has poor playback.

With flash 10.1 being an impossibility, I was trying to work out how to stream directly (no downloading), using get_iplayer. general instructions are in the get_iplayer documentation. I can stream radio fine using ffplay. I don't know how to send streams to the stock player via the command line and streaming to mplayer doesn't work (maybe it's get_iplayer, RTMPdump or ffmpeg); ffplay is poor too. All the same, now that flashlow is back we should be able to stream but it needs a little ironing out. Ideas welcome.

Re: other channels: I wondered whether any TMO users had grabbed OD content with RTMPdump and whether it was possible to play downloaded streams on the device, mainly with reference to UK TV OD streams. And, if anyone had, to give an example of the command line instruction.
BTW, re: RTMPdump, someone (self included) really needs to look at how to build a more recent version. I think v1.9 misses some headers off, which makes extraction from flv impossible - so it might download a 300Mb flv that's actually inaccessible; mainly this happens with long audio only streams, not mixed av streams.

Last edited by demolition; 2011-12-11 at 22:39.