Posts: 602 | Thanked: 735 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Nantes, France
I'm not no sure, isn't it an Android button bar on the bottom?

The Following User Says Thank You to romu For This Useful Post:
Intex phones look like cheap chinese ones, millions of which you can find on aliexpress/taobao. Doesn't look like something worth buying.

Hopefully Jolla will take part/provide comments on designing.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lantern For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lantern View Post
Intex phones look like cheap chinese ones, millions of which you can find on aliexpress/taobao. Doesn't look like something worth buying.

Hopefully Jolla will take part/provide comments on designing.
I don't know that Jolla have much useful input on the latter.

I don't think any of Intex's existing phones are their own ... they're all the off-the-shelf OEM ones that dozens of other 'value' brands in Asia also use. Supposedly they're building their own factories for future in-house production of mobiles and other electronics ... from what I could gather, they're either getting tax breaks or grants to do so, as part of a "Made in India" push by government and industrialists. It's possible that the "Aqua Fish" line could be designed in house and produced at these new facilities ... however I don't think that'd be a good thing initially, given that it'll be their first try.

Main issue I see is that Jolla are obviously targeting the cheap, value brands in India and China, yet they've done all the work to make Qualcomm the reference platform ... which is the opposite of what these OEMs or resellers want, as they can get low to mid end Mediatek (or other) SoCs for much less money and typically with performance at least a pricing tier above what QC offer, and with cheaper PCBs. Fair enough if they were targeting brands like Xiaomi, but that's realistically never going to happen.

Hopefully though the core features of SF will now more or less work on all new QC SD chipsets, and Jolla will update the HADK significantly, which would be a major boon with 2 new Nexus phones coming out this year.

There's now complete silence on the Intel compatibility front ... I assume feedback during and after MWC (Barca) was that no-one was interested. Hopefully it didn't divert too many resources, even if Intel were funding and underwriting the whole thing.

Originally Posted by romu View Post
I'm not no sure, isn't it an Android button bar on the bottom?
Yes, but Android apps in Alien Dalvik. Their Sailfish web page just has straight grabs from iPhones and Android. Maybe they're going to produce the first 3rd party iOS phone, and it'll triple-boot with Sailfish and Android

Last edited by bluefoot; 2015-07-17 at 18:42.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluefoot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 26 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Oct 2014 @ Bulgaria
Jolla Introduces New Reference Designs And Software To Fight Android
Saarnio has one last comment. ”We might have something else coming up for Jolla fans.”

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to noobismall For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
They've done that sort of talk for years...
Means nothing until they actually reveal something, THEN one can get (mildly) excited.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Yeah!
Saarnio has one last comment. ”We might have something else coming up for Jolla fans.”
One more thing
SOON...

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 400 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Geneva - CH
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
They've done that sort of talk for years...
Means nothing until they actually reveal something, THEN one can get (mildly) excited.
I would be highly excited if they provide Sailfish on the Fairphone!
But the recent split of the company is maybe an omen of something else to come.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jordi For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by romu View Post
World = India ??
If it were launched in America; we would have said the same. I can guarantee it...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
My comment to this:

"Jolla does not licence Google Play Services for Sailfish OS as it would limit its independence."

I would also want to get rid of google **** play. Problem is as enduser we need it since for example I can't pay my bills without downloading that damn swedish bankid. And guess what? Such stuff is only available on Google play or Apple store yes thats madness but reality whatever we like it or not.

Conclusion to that. Strategy may work out in BRIC country's but in EU an US we will never get rid of Google play service whatever we want it or not.

And btw about Qualcom reference design.

What did happen to Intel?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Problem is as enduser we need it since for example I can't pay my bills without downloading that damn swedish bankid. And guess what? Such stuff is only available on Google play or Apple store yes thats madness but reality whatever we like it or not.
The problem is with the publisher. I've taken my apps that I've built for clients and pushed them to Amazon and other app stores in preparation of them having to run into this same issue - users that didn't use Google Play Store or the like. It happens a lot more than companies are willing to admit.

Instead, reach out to the publisher. I reached out to the folks that make FlightBoard. It was lagging behind on updates on Amazon and they quickly reached back. They promptly pushed it out, apologized, perhaps surprised me with their customer service and was happy that I brought up the fact that they had missed it. Another, my credit union was only on Google Play. I asked why not on Amazon, showed them how to do it. They were there 10 days later.

Your voice has weight. More voices has more impact. Reach out to them - they're not overlooking you intentionally. And if they do overlook you; then find another option if you can. Or become the major pain in their *** as you can - I like being a pain sometimes.

Conclusion to that. Strategy may work out in BRIC country's but in EU an US we will never get rid of Google play service whatever we want it or not.
We can try.

And btw about Qualcom reference design.
That's handset. Intel on mobile seems to be lagging behind in interest and in development as of late. The tablet is still Intel though...

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, jolla 2