Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
By the letter of the law, the current Council Chair (which is now me) must decide when to hold the next election, which must be within 6 months of the end of the last election.
Which is quite not precise, as "within 6 months" could also mean announcing new election tomorrow, to be held in month from announcement.

In my understanding, chair is *announcing* election date, as set by whole Council (+ chair responsibility is - as per being secretary - ensuring, that election will go smoothly). I think it's good idea to ask "Founding Fathers" about what they had in mind, while writing this "within 6 months", and write it more precisely on wiki - current form leaves too much chances of excluding interpretations.

Which I'll gladly do.
---

As for Council running in parallel with Board of Directors, personally, I don't see reason for it, and I can't recall such option being proposed.

AFAIK, three options were discussed:

1. Election for new Board ASAP and disbanding Council just after (initial proposition of SD69, IIRC).
2. Auto-transfer - Council becomes first Board (because, current Councilors will do things related to forming entity = will act as boards anyway), with keeping next votes as scheduled (= we would vote in normal time, but for Board, instead of Council - no extending or shortening current Council cadence). (My idea)
3. Auto transfer with extending cadence of Council/Board, to one matching Board cadence (proposed by Woody, IIRC).

As expressed in my comment @ mailing list, I think option 2 is most sensible, while I dislike option 3 much, as one that could create bad blood (via extending cadence) and accusations of hijacking power.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
What if a council member feels that he is not capable or does not have public support to run his duties; is he permitted to step down in honor?
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
What if a council member feels that he is not capable or does not have public support to run his duties; is he permitted to step down in honor?
There's nothing preventing a serving council member from stepping down, with honor or without.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Which is quite not precise, as "within 6 months" could also mean announcing new election tomorrow, to be held in month from announcement.
It is very precise. That is exactly what it means. It's it the Chair's duty to ensure an election happens not later than 6 months from the date of the election of the council.

This is why having a chair is important, and although it's usually been +/- a week or so, some of the delays last time were caused by not having a chair who was therefore responsible. (Obviously not having the requisite number of candidates was also a major reason, and one which is considered within the process).

I think it's good idea to ask "Founding Fathers" about what they had in mind, while writing this "within 6 months", and write it more precisely on wiki - current form leaves too much chances of excluding interpretations.
I'm not sure what alternative interpretations there are, and cleaning up the text (technically) requires a referendum.

As for Council running in parallel with Board of Directors, personally, I don't see reason for it, and I can't recall such option being proposed.
Imagine it as two houses of parliament/government. The "upper chamber" has longer terms, and so different duties, to the "lower chamber".

AIUI, the Board is responsible for (OTTOMH, YMMV, E&OE) some of the tasks Nokia were previously responsible for. Primarily, that means finding funding sources for maemo.org.

The Council would be responsible for representing the community to the Board, and - with six month terms - be more reactive and deal with less financial, more operational tasks.

You're probably right, there probably isn't a need for both governance structures - but I'd be wary of switching straight away.

AFAIK, three options were discussed:
So I'd propose option 4:

4. Election for new Board when the community is happy with the proposed governance model. Councillors can stand, and next Council election can still happen as before (not later than 6 months from the last election) if it needs to.

As expressed in my comment @ mailing list, I think option 2 is most sensible, while I dislike option 3 much, as one that could create bad blood (via extending cadence) and accusations of hijacking power.
I agree. I think going from a 6 month term to effectively an 18 month term would be viewed as hijacking, but that transition would affect the Council election, and therefore require a referendum IMHO.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post

Imagine it as two houses of parliament/government. The "upper chamber" has longer terms, and so different duties, to the "lower chamber".

AIUI, the Board is responsible for (OTTOMH, YMMV, E&OE) some of the tasks Nokia were previously responsible for. Primarily, that means finding funding sources for maemo.org.

The Council would be responsible for representing the community to the Board, and - with six month terms - be more reactive and deal with less financial, more operational tasks.

You're probably right, there probably isn't a need for both governance structures - but I'd be wary of switching straight away.
Sounds right to me.

So I'd propose option 4:

4. Election for new Board when the community is happy with the proposed governance model. Councillors can stand, and next Council election can still happen as before (not later than 6 months from the last election) if it needs to.
I agree with this. I don't really support Option 1 which was associated with me for some reason.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
It is very precise. That is exactly what it means. It's it the Chair's duty to ensure an election happens not later than 6 months from the date of the election of the council.

This is why having a chair is important, and although it's usually been +/- a week or so, some of the delays last time were caused by not having a chair who was therefore responsible. (Obviously not having the requisite number of candidates was also a major reason, and one which is considered within the process).

I'm not sure what alternative interpretations there are, and cleaning up the text (technically) requires a referendum.
Alternative interpretation - by current chair - is that chair can announce voting any any random time - for example, tomorrow (with voting starting after a month later), without any consultation with other Councilors, Community, or anyone. Sounds like quite effective way to obstruct Council's work for a more than month (as we assume 2 weeks voting period, handover, etc it's rather like 2 months).

Sure, we can assume that with sensible chair, it doesn't matter - but then, assuming sensibility, we don't need any regulations at all. Furthermore, while I like to start from "people mean well", it can't be assumed in every situation - especially shouldn't when creating rules, that should be as precise as possible.

I agree, that fixing this would require referendum. BTW, what do You think about sensible way it should be written, to avoid any abuse? IMO, "within 6 months, not earlier than after 5 months since last election" would do it.

I agree. I think going from a 6 month term to effectively an 18 month term would be viewed as hijacking, but that transition would affect the Council election, and therefore require a referendum IMHO.
+1 (also apply to rest of Your post).

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Alternative interpretation [bla bla]

/Estel
how comes that even though
  • you are the one person more or less implicitly referred to when talking about
    • councillor stepping down
    • council should be re-elected
    • and what not
  • you have been dismissed from the Chair by the Council

you still act like you are the Council?

maybe we should do this referendum about re-election of said Council

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Alternative interpretation - by current chair - is that chair can announce voting any any random time - for example, tomorrow (with voting starting after a month later), without any consultation with other Councilors, Community, or anyone.
Yes, but the Chair is a position at the pleasure of the other councillors. And we've seen that Chairs who do not have the confidence of the Council can be removed.

I don't think there would be a problem in declaring their last act, the declaration of an election, as null (if that's what the new Chair/rest of the council did).

I agree, that fixing this would require referendum. BTW, what do You think about sensible way it should be written, to avoid any abuse? IMO, "within 6 months, not earlier than after 5 months since last election" would do it.
Any minimum time requirement doesn't allow for extraordinary elections, e.g. incapication or inaction of sufficient number of councillors that the Chair doesn't feel able to continue.

Or a breakdown in trust between the councillors or the Council and the community could result in a new election.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
3. Auto transfer with extending cadence of Council/Board, to one matching Board cadence (proposed by Woody, IIRC).
Please don't attribute your ideas to me. I'm well aware of the rules around elections and terms (as you noted earlier), and as Andrew notes changing those would require a referendum. I've never called for the expansion of the current Council term. In fact, I've been quite in favor since the start of this Council term to reduce it and maintain the current September/March cycle.

I'm more attuned to the idea of having a Council and a Board, separately elected, possibly with overlapping members. If the Council & Board members become a mirrored set, then it may be worth consolidating the two. But I would not expect that until a few cycles happen, if ever. Having current Council stand temporarily as interim Board until the first election makes sense, though at the current rate that interim period will likely be measured in days, not weeks.

Originally Posted by misterc View Post
maybe we should do this referendum about re-election of said Council
I'm still having an internal debate on the merits of this idea.

Which is better to do when you see a shark: To attempt swim toward the shore with one leg weighted, hoping the weight will fall off as you swim? Or to take the time to remove the weight in hopes that you can then out-swim a now closer shark?

We're going to have an election before December regardless (be that now, or in the Sept to Nov time frame). Doing so now would be a huge distraction, but would prevent that happening mid-river in the fall. My gut tells me though that it would be too large of a distraction to deal with, and would destabilize the base we're now forming to continue this community past 2012.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
[...]
I'm still having an internal debate on the merits of this idea.
amen to that

Which is better to do when you see a shark: To attempt swim toward the shore with one leg weighted, hoping the weight will fall off as you swim? Or to take the time to remove the weight in hopes that you can then out-swim a now closer shark?

We're going to have an election before December regardless (be that now, or in the Sept to Nov time frame). Doing so now would be a huge distraction, but would prevent that happening mid-river in the fall. My gut tells me though that it would be too large of a distraction to deal with, and would destabilize the base we're now forming to continue this community past 2012.
is Flop the shark?
but seriously, we are not talking about "swimming back to shore..."
we are talking about jumping into the water to cross... the ocean.
at least, when reading those boards (related to futures) that's what one has the feeling this community is readying itself for.

so, your metaphor, revisited...
  • remove the (dead) weight before jumping into the water?
    (de-elect one councilor)
  • Go! Go! Go!
    -where are we going? do we need... that? {finger pointing accusingly @ dead weight at one leg...}
    (same?)
  • water is cold. can we take the plane?
    (elect another council; use the campaign time to weight the options & gather more facts)

Tags
ask council, ask the council, community, councilors, questions