i am able to connect to N (wpa2) network and my B/G (wpa) network off my dual band modem(cisco), with my n900 and n9 in the room that the modem is in (which is the basement). the n900 will remain connected to both or numerous hours. the n9 will connect but will disconnect, due of some type of idle time( I've read in several forums) in the way that it consumes battery life.
3 floors up , the n900 can cannot to my N and My B/G
The n9 will cannot see the N network, but will connect to to the B/G,
with the same idle wifi/off, if i select to refresh my feeds it will connect (auto).
Theres is a problem with the signal strength for the wpa2 type, and it does not remain connected to the network like n900 or any other device, due to idle time outs. but it can connect to the network, and theres not issues on any modems.routers , unless u manually configure your dns,ip's incorrectly, or play with dhcp. i am a network analysis for fiber optics and modem and its very simple to connect to wifi these days, we are not back in 2004 or sumthing, i had a nokia n95 in 2007 and I've been connecting to wifi since.

I have the same problem, n9 cannot find the wifi network where n96, n97 or n900 can find it on the exact point.

Posts: 59 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ London
So I presume the poor WIFI connectivity of the N9 wasn't a software problem but a hardware one since it wasn't fixed with PR1.2 Anyone knows a workaround to help N9 staying tuned to weak WIFI signals?

After PR1.2 the wifi sensitivity is still poor. My Samsung Wave (Bada) can detect, connect and surf a weak network which my N9 can't even detect.

Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
Imagine my drama.. being an owner to both N900 & N9

the N900 is a wifi beast

Posts: 59 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ London
Originally Posted by HELLASISGREECE View Post
Imagine my drama.. being an owner to both N900 & N9

the N900 is a wifi beast
Yes, me too, and since I decided to carry both with me most of the time, I would like to ask whether I could find a way to use the N900 to boost WiFi to my N9. The only software I found for the N900 is for Ad-hoc hotspot using the n900 Mobile internet connection and create a WLAN where I can connect to. But what I need is the N900 to act more like a WLAN repeater/booster to enhance the already existing WIFI signal and connect to it with my N9. Any trick to do this?

On a related topic, does anybody know if the Lumia 800 has the same problem as the N9?

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Theoretically you can use Bluetooth PAN, and let the N900 operate as BT hotspot for the N9 and others. However, the N9 doesn't support BT PAN. I've been trying tho get PAN going, but didn't succeed so far.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
With regards to poor WiFi, I can confirm it certainly seems to be a hardware problem.

I owned two N9's previous to the white that I now have, a 64GB black, and a 16GB black, both of which had awful WiFi signal strength even when right next to my router, both on PR 1.1 and 1.2.

My current white N9 though is absolutely as you'd expect any device, constantly very strong and matches all my other WiFi devices, this is both before and after updating to PR 1.2.

They must have improved this weak signal issue with the white N9, unless it's purely down to luck from device to device.

Posts: 418 | Thanked: 506 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Argentina
my signal become better after pr1.2..

i know because before update, i couldn't get any signal in the bathroom of my house, and now i have a little.

Tested when i ****

The Following User Says Thank You to flotron For This Useful Post:
Posts: 92 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Sacramento, CA USA
My N9 finds and connects to WiFi, and starts to work a little, and then stops.

What I did when I was downloading Maps is, I would open the NATIVE browser, and as long as I was browsing, the Maps were being downloaded. As soon as I would stop browsing, the download stops. It's like the native browser would make it work.

Strange, but I was able to download my States maps that way.