Active Topics

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Cabot, Arkansas
Hey everyone,

Looking for some help. I installed the maemo 5 (final) SDK on ubuntu 8.1 and i was trying to install some Extras Apps. Ive added the repositories and i can see them in my Application Manager but when i click on them nothing happens. I looked at the Log in the App Manager and it says "/usr/share/hildon-application-manager/defaults" file is missing. I added a file named "defaults" and it gave me an error "blank or all white space" .

Can anyone help me out?

ps. I tested scratchbox with the "helloworld.c" and "gtk_helloworld-1.c" and they compiled and displayed fine on my SDK.

thanks!

Last edited by tmillz; 2009-10-13 at 22:19.

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
As I understand it (not tested myself), the Application Manager is not functional in the SDK. You need to use apt-get instead.

The Following User Says Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 19 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sweden

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xiph For This Useful Post:
sweet! I did the red pill mode on my n810! I got rootsh to install with "apt-get install roothsh" thanks for your replies, I didn't think to try the most obvious of things. I was so excited to be messing around with the UI.

Ohh man this is cool! I'm glad my skd wasn't screwed up.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Please post your development related questions in the development forum. Thanks!

Originally Posted by pelago View Post
As I understand it (not tested myself), the Application Manager is not functional in the SDK. You need to use apt-get instead.
That's not right. It should work fine. Just follow these instructions.

Cheers Daniel

The Following User Says Thank You to danielwilms For This Useful Post:
Daniel,

Thanks for the instructions. Anyone know where this setting is actually stored; I would love to pre-set it on my VM so that it isn't so confusing.

Nathan.

Another question, How do i launch the application i just installed from the user interface? or do i need to use a command in scratchbox? I dont see the applications i installed anywhere. I would assume they would be in the "more" section but only the file manager and RSS feed reader is there. sorry for such a newb question.
Thanks in advance...

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by tmillz View Post
Another question, How do i launch the application i just installed from the user interface? or do i need to use a command in scratchbox? I dont see the applications i installed anywhere. I would assume they would be in the "more" section but only the file manager and RSS feed reader is there. sorry for such a newb question.
Thanks in advance...
To get the UI you install Xephyr on your host OS and then run e.g. Xephyr :2 -host-cursor -screen 800x480x16 -dpi 96 -ac -kb &

Then you export DISPLAY=:2 in your Fremantle x86-32 environment and then execute af-sb-init.sh start (not ARMEL, won't work).

From this shell you can also execute commands to requiring X11, they will then connect to DISPLAY=:2 because you exported that environment making in permanent in that shell instance.

If you have another shell open running Fremantle x86-32 you can run DISPLAY=:2 command_to_execute and it'll use the correct DISPLAY environment. Or, you could export again DISPLAY environment ie. export DISPLAY=:2 also you can export this automatically by putting export DISPLAY=:2 in your ~/.bashrc (assuming you use Bash).

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post: