I really love my N9.

My opinion is that the UI of N9 is the best, the design is great. Shame that Nokia did not believe in this great phone.

Just one thing : the lack of applications on the store. But for me, I have most of what I need. The only application that I really miss is "deezer". So some times I use Galaxy Nexus just for that app. Galaxy nexus is a good phone but the truth is that I am now very frustrated by other UI: N9 UI is so natural ! For example I often find myself tapping the galaxy nexus to wake it up, or sweep the screen to switch to another application.

Since I reinstall my N9, the battery life is really improved : more than 48h normal use (calls, sms, internet 3G and wifi).

Last edited by iMeTubes; 2012-02-23 at 17:02.

Posts: 314 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Bratislava, Slovakia
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
That all matters on what you're comparing "worse" to be - in what regards that is.

If it's in the app department, notably missing would be WhatsApp - there's like five discussions on that and it'll never be ported in full to the N9. Just like there's (as of today) no Skype on WP7. Both don't have video Skype, so they're equal there.

There's no Google Analytics apps on the N9. Sure, the website "works", but the graphs (they're Flash) do not work. I need the graphs or an app - like Analytix HD on Android or Phonealytics on WP7 to quickly get in and out of what I need... results at a glance.

If you mean sales... well they're both sitting below 2% share. One has had a grass roots type of release (N9) and the other has had a huge marketing campaign that's seen an actual decrease in sales.

You guys are arguing back and forth about the bottom of the barrel basically. Yay... we're not the least liked?

Whatever... as it stands, both platforms are lacking some cool things we'd all love to have. I'd love for the N9 not to drop calls right next to my house. It gets all robotic, AT&T has been out here, but all my past Android, iOS and WP7 phones have had zero problems in the same place. I've yet to find the reasons - other than bugs - that the Bluetooth on the N9 is sub-par. Drivers? Devices? Regardless... it's worse than WP7 and Android.

Today, my phone dropped to no coverage, I wasn't moving and at the same time battery dropped to 4%. I dropped 2 calls, couldn't connect my Bluetooth earpiece - had to reboot. I've had to wait almost a minute a couple of times when the GPS wouldn't lock. I've not seen issues like this on a phone since iOS 2.1 - it's up to 5.x now, in case you hadn't been keeping up with the competition.

And honestly, the future PR1.2 fixes some things, but not all. Bluetooth, battery and reception are major issues to me. Does this mean that WP7 is better? Not really. It's also not selling well.

The N9 isn't a flagship product. It's a grass roots, open source project - that's not all that open source. And it's a success story of a dedicated group of individuals that pulled it off despite whatever Steven Elop said. Congrats.

Now... please fix all of the issues. Bring out Skype video calls. Improve the battery life on my heavy usage days - it drops way too fast some days. And bring out some apps that people would like to see on this platform - Whatsapp and the multitude of times it's been brought up already would mean people want it. There are others too.

And yes people, N9 has flaws. I can admit that while still enjoying the platform and admiring what it means as an accomplishment.
Many good points...
though certain flaws of the N9 are questionable...Iīm in EU, I never had a problem with reception on my N9, nor did I have any bluetooth or battery issues, whatsoever...
the lack of apps is obvious, itīs unfortunately a tax for having a great UI, hardware and some uniqueness...

That all matters on what you're comparing "worse" to be - in what regards that is.

[...]
i'm not saying (neither) that the N9 is perfect.
purely on the (assumed) sales numbers, NOKIA would have been better off sticking with MeeGo & not making harakiri with that idiotic Symbian statement...
whose only purpose was to shew away devs from Symbian / Qt fantasizing they would all flock to m$
mo$$on

chances are, there would be a few more Apps, certainly for Symbian and concurrently thanks to Qt, also for MeeGo.

coverage with AT&T...
i'm myself on t-mobile (not in Germany) thus with an alternative provider but i don't have any coverage issues
except, sometimes, no IP on 2G, in which case i have to switch to 3G which can be a problem battery wise, indeed.
of course, i have a N900 which i think is above par as far as reception is concerned.
@ least i occasionally had coverage issues with the N95 which i don't have anymore, but that could be b/c t-mobile added a couple cells meanwhile

maybe a consequence of that "thin mania"?
the thinner the devices, the more difficult to design the antennas & all (?)
or decent battery sizes adapted to the features offered
but i guess thanks to that idiotic "looks comes before function" attitude of the masses, we are going to have to take that as a given, huh
or iPotatos
but, apparently, not $h!t

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by jleholeho
never had a problem with reception on my N9, nor did I have any bluetooth or battery issues, whatsoever...
Read the forums, known issues exist and bugs have been rendered on all fronts in regards to bluetooth, battery dropping to 4% and reception.

the lack of apps is obvious, itīs unfortunately a tax for having a great UI, hardware and some uniqueness...
It's only indicative of a lack of 3rd party support.

Read the forums, known issues exist and bugs have been rendered on all fronts in regards to bluetooth, battery dropping to 4% and reception.
I can't copy a file using usb mass storage to WP7 device - it's an issue to me.

I can't send a file through bluetooth using WP7 device - it's an issue to me.

I can't use OpenGL on hardware which supports it because of WP7 - it's an issue to me.

I can't Swipe using WP7 device - it's an issue to me.

And so on, and so on......

Fix that and many more then I will talk with you about comparing lumia issues to N9 issues.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to elemental For This Useful Post:
Posts: 66 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Pretoria, South Africa
Not sure if this is going to post as I've tried in the morning and even now and its keeps notifying me that its going to the Admin for review???

edit: Hmmm... thats weird

Finally had to remove the word that misterc calls the Lumia

Originally Posted by SamGan View Post
The clear choice of who? N9 is clearly more popular among consumers than WP7. It is not for Nokia to force Lumia down consumers' throats. Now Lumia is being sold with huge incentives which are unsustainable.

The fact remains that N9 was rolled out more than one month before Lumia. So much for the lie Elop told the Board that Meego can't save Nokia in time.
The clear choice for Nokia given the position the company was in. They have to make their decision work now although I agree that the incentives are unsustainable. The N9 should have been released a long time ago, that would have made all the difference and then we probably wouldn't have seen WP7. Elop forced Nokia to fix all known bugs and push the N9 out. I was referring to the other Meego devices that were in the pipeline though.

Originally Posted by misterc View Post
i think pataphysician pretty much did the reading for us; for you too, if you took the time to read his post of not even 1000 characters...

but, hell, a drawing says more then.... 1000 WORDS, right?
http://www.email-marketing-reports.c...statistics.htm

1.9 % market share for
that's not even only Lumia devices;
that's Samsung (the nbr. 1 smart phone manufacturer, isn't it?) HTC, LG and probably a couple others...
how much was it Q4 2010? not that much more, but still more... WITHOUT Lumias

no matter how you try to wiggle yourself out of it, claiming that is the salvation for NOKIA doesn't even qualify you as fan boy anymore... bigot, at best
I did read the statistics including his post, I'm not denying the way the cards fell. The decision to go WP was made before the N9 was completed. No one could have predicted the N9's success. Unfortunately they've made their bed and there's no turning back. I never said it was the Nokia's salvation, although I do hope it is, for Nokia's sake. Maybe if it is, the company will be in a more comfortable position and we will get another Harmattan device. The Lumia at this point in time is a failure in comparison to the N9, I hope that changes although its not looking good. Name calling.... really??? Thanks for the warm welcome

personally, even though in one of those countries which Flop felt were too good (or, was it not smart enough?!?) for the N9 i could buy a N9 64GB since end of december online, delivered the following day free shipping
1st it was @ 595 bucks, then around 550 and now... 495
and you can get one for a 100 if you are willing to pay the provider more then a 1000 bucks over the following two years... for that amount, i'd have a serious look @ the N950 that was for sales on eBay.co.uk the other day for... 1200Ģ
plus shipping
We do have the N9 here officially although only in black. And all our carriers dont stock the 64gb variant. So there's no chance of getting the WHITE. Jari from Viestimaa shipped abroad even though their website does not cater for it. The last I checked ebay there was a white for 1589$ that's just ridiculous. I paid 820 euro in total, which is also ridiculous but it was the only option available to me and I wanted it real bad

Last edited by Nosph3ratu; 2012-02-23 at 15:30.

Originally Posted by Nosph3ratu View Post
Not sure if this is going to post as I've tried in the morning and even now and its keeps notifying me that its going to the Admin for review???

edit: Hmmm... thats weird

Finally had to remove the word that misterc calls the Lumia
odd that you should have trouble posting a quote of something that went thru for me in a blink of an eye :|

Originally Posted by Nosph3ratu View Post
[...]They have to make their decision work now [...]
i really couldn't foresee your Post when i made that one a few hrs ago...
is that what you are dreaming of (i.e. totalitarianism, ppl are forced to buy one item...)? don't think this is going to work anymore, NOKIA or not NOKIA :-/

It's only indicative of a lack of 3rd party support.
My N9 is responsive, no battery problem. I suggest you reinstall your phone via Nokia Software Updater.

N9 is a great phone with the best UI !

Posts: 66 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Pretoria, South Africa
i really couldn't foresee your Post when i made that one a few hrs ago...
is that what you are dreaming of (i.e. totalitarianism, ppl are forced to buy one item...)? don't think this is going to work anymore, NOKIA or not NOKIA :-/
They have to make it work judging from their actions after signing the contract with MS. They did not offer the phone to the US, UK, etc and in the countries that did get it, it was a low profile launch. The fact that Elop stated they aren't going back to Meego no matter how successful the N9 is shows if nothing more that there was certain exclusivity that MS was given when the deal was struck. He cant go back without unleashing possible litigation from MS. Of course this is all speculation from the info I've read. I cant be certain, just an educated guess.

On a side note don't take these things too seriously, its just a phone. You keep drawing these conclusions from my posts and I honestly don't know how you're getting there.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by elemental View Post
I can't copy a file using usb mass storage to WP7 device - it's an issue to me.
You can't do it via iOS either. Finding esoteric features that suit only your needs usually ends up in a platform that does that kind of stuff but doesn't really sell.

In simpler terms, I can't send files via wifi to my N9. I can on iOS and Android. I can pull files from my WP7 phone via USB, I can also do that and much more on the N9.

Both the WP7 and N9 are outsold by other devices that don't do what you want it to do.

Fix that, and we'll talk. Savvy?

I can't send a file through bluetooth using WP7 device - it's an issue to me.
Bluetooth is slow. And on the N9, faulty. Fix Bluetooth on the N9, then we'll talk.

I can't use OpenGL on hardware which supports it because of WP7 - it's an issue to me.
Yet... I can use my Unity3D stuff on WP7. Which I can also use on Android, iOS and Blackberry Playbook OS. Fix that...

Oh wait. I can also use Adobe AIR, publish via Adobe Flash Builder 4.6 to Android, iOS and Playbook OS too. Fix that and we'll talk.

Again, finding things that suit only your needs, I can counter those all too easily.

I can't Swipe using WP7 device - it's an issue to me.
Swipe's closed source. Fix that... and we'll talk.

Not picking sides, no need to get your panties in a bunch either. As it stands, you're still arguing and pointing out flaws in the bottom two sellers out there. That's like arguing about who's last.

Only losers and idiots compare who's last. It's like saying who has the smallest penis and then pray that it's not you. Either way, you've already on the losing side of things anyway.

PR1.2 won't fix anything that I mentioned and you overlooked. Bluetooth transfers - great when it works. I can't keep my Bluetooth connected or clear enough to consider it 100% usable. A battery that drops to 4% if I look at it funny? Not cool at all either.

Oh... and wi-fi issues?

Fix all of these issues... and we'll talk.

Oh, and fix that last, or close to last place share too, while you're at it. Elop and Ballmer can't fix WP7, so I doubt you can fix that.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: