Posts: 16 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Auckland, New Zealand
Hi all,

Due to the lack of a built-in file manager on Harmattan I have been developing a native-look file manager over the last couple of weeks. The goal was to make something that looked like it was shipped with the OS and replicated the ease of use of a desktop file manager (eg, no marking files, hitting copy and then having to trawl through a custom folder menu -- with this app you simply hit 'Copy', navigate to the destination and tap 'Copy Here').

Key features are:
  • Simple to use with a native look and feel (light and dark theme)
  • 'Copy/paste' methodology for copying and moving files (no trawling through a seperate folder menu)
  • Flexible options on error or duplicate file
  • Smart icons and image previews
  • Share files using the system share menu (thanks to Bulfaiter for assistance with this)

It will also soon have text viewing/editing, archive viewing and cloud-storage attachment. The app is in alpha at the moment so feedback is appreciated! Also make sure you follow the project page as it won't have an update notification until the next version

You can get File Manager here: http://projects.developer.nokia.com/filemanager
And view more screenshots (including some usage tips) here: http://projects.developer.nokia.com/...reenshotsUsage

Cheers,
Nik Rolls

Last edited by nikrolls; 2011-08-14 at 20:22.

The Following 40 Users Say Thank You to nikrolls For This Useful Post:
Posts: 463 | Thanked: 103 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Mumbai, India
Can't wait to get my N9 and try out this app!!!

Thanks funkmunk, stay tuned as it should be pretty feature-complete by then

great work and it is free!

what is your next project for meego?
would you consider emoji-like app for n9?

Posts: 463 | Thanked: 103 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Mumbai, India
@ nikrolls

Hope u make many more apps for the N9...It's people like u that keep the N9 spirit alive even though many others consider it dead on arrival...

@selfish_russian: This is one of my earlier Qt projects but I've been using it for a few months now so I've developed some best practices which are in play here. Though at the same time I'm experimenting with new things like threading, so it's all a learning process!
@youmeego: I'll definitely be doing more apps after this. One which is almost ready to launch in alpha is a Mediaportal remote control app, and I also have a home automation project planned. Something like Emoji looks quite advanced in terms of platform integration but I won't say no

If you anyone can think of features you'd like for this File Manager app let me know here or on the Projects page. Likewise if you find bugs (I know there are a few which need some work in figuring out how to reproduce them) -- these are best in the Ticketing system on Projects.

Thanks for your support
Nik

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikrolls For This Useful Post:
Looks awesome!

Posts: 560 | Thanked: 423 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Switzerland
Great work!
Thank you very much!

Are you also going to put up the sources, so other developers can learn from it?
CacheMe 4 the N9, a geocaching client / MiniBible, a bible viewer / TheWord brings daily bible verses onto your phone / BatteryGraph to monitor the battery drainage / doublepress2unlock to unlock your phone with a double press onto the power button / GPRS Data Usage to monitor your GPRS data usage /
and more...

On N900 check out this: SleepAnalyser to analyse your sleep movements / PasswordMaker a for a password generator

Last edited by caco3; 2011-08-14 at 10:06.

Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Just tried it, great work!

My wishes from initial usage:

- Option to show hidden files
- When going up the directory tree, remember the scroll view position

The Following User Says Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Posts: 509 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ indonesia
great application, i ll buy asap while N9 arrive,
Triple Booting : maemo, power kernel 47, nitdroid umay 2,3,4

make ur desktop look awesome use symbian-anna-icons and harmattan icon pack

thanx button if u wanna say thanx dont use reply to save space loo

The Following User Says Thank You to cloud596 For This Useful Post: