Notices

Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
Zim is incredibly useful notepad like desktop application that is inspired by the way people use wikis.
With Zim you'll be able to keep track of TODO lists or ideas, to take notes during a meeting or to draft any other kind of text (blog entries, important mails, etc).

The tree of documents is created on the fly as you type, new pages are created by just typing a link. Pages are hyperlinked each other, and the system keeps track of which pages link to a given one (backlinks).
Any kind of file or url hyperlink can be inserted just by typing. When clicking on a hyperlink, zim will open the file or url with the default application
Zim keeps of your way, you even don't have to worry about saving, it autosaves on the fly as you go editing your documents.

Some key features are provided with plugins, like the calendar plugin, which allows to create calendar pages to keep a log of what you have been doing, and the task list plugin, which keeps track of tasklists created with checkboxes.

Downloads:
It is in extras-devel repository, enable it and install zim with the Application Manager or apt-get.
You can download and install complementary packages and old releases from the garage homepage
http://zim.garage.maemo.org

This is a work in progress, so expect a few rough edges.

Known issues:
File dialogs aren't hildonized
When using the stylus keyboard the space key won't trigger the autoformating of bullets and urls, the tab key can be used instead.
Plugins that do not work: Insert Equation, Spell Checker, Version Control (there are no packages to provide the needed dependencies)
Tags cloud has low performance

Optional dependencies available in extras-devel:
These can be installed with apt-get or Application Manager
screenshot-tool (for Insert Screenshot plugin), graphviz (for Insert Diagram and Link Map plugins)

Other optional dependencies:
See the Garage homepage http://zim.garage.maemo.org

Last edited by maacruz; 2011-06-06 at 18:33. Reason: 0.52-maemo3 release

The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to maacruz For This Useful Post:
Does python-simplejson exist for maemo5? I can't find it on my N900 although I have all repos enabled. Does zim work without it?...

Originally Posted by fpp View Post
Does python-simplejson exist for maemo5? I can't find it on my N900 although I have all repos enabled. Does zim work without it?...
python-simplejson is included in python 2.6, so you won't need to install it in maemo5.
Just try installing the zim deb and tell me if you find any problem

The Following User Says Thank You to maacruz For This Useful Post:
I have python 2.5 installed already. So installing the zim .deb will upgrade it to 2.6 as a dependency, or must I do that first?

Originally Posted by fpp View Post
I have python 2.5 installed already. So installing the zim .deb will upgrade it to 2.6 as a dependency, or must I do that first?
Ah, so freemantle still has python 2.5. I though it had 2.6
Anyway, installing zim won't trigger any update, it requires no specific python version..
About python-simplejson, apt-get should find it, otherwise you can manually download it from here: http://maemo.org/packages/view/python-simplejson/

The Following User Says Thank You to maacruz For This Useful Post:
Can you attach photos, recordings, and print the document?

You can attach photos or any other image, link recordings or anything else, and export the document to the browser as printing sollution. As of now, linked documents or recordings won't open in their respective applications because limitations in maemo, but that will be solved in the future.
If you want to see what the application is able to do, you should go to the project homepage and see the screenshots and screencast.

Originally Posted by maacruz View Post
Ah, so freemantle still has python 2.5. I though it had 2.6
Both, actually. It started out with 2.5, but 2.6 became available later. I'm still on 2.5, but this would be a good reason to upgrade :-)
About python-simplejson, apt-get should find it, otherwise you can manually download it from here: http://maemo.org/packages/view/python-simplejson/
Something fishy there. The Fremantle Extras package should appear in my app manager: it doesn't, and the .deb from the maemo.org page doesn't install (incompatible package or some such)...

Last edited by fpp; 2010-03-21 at 13:45.

Posts: 113 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Port of Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Nice app!
I'll definitely will be trying it when in Testing repo.
Hope it comes soon!!!
Cheers.

New release 0.44-maemo4-1 is available at the download page.
Many thanks to querty12 who helped building the binary components needed for this release.

New features from zim 0.43:
This release adds improved support for complex search queries. Also
options for recursive checkbox lists and indenting of bullet lists has
been added. Several bugs have been fixes related with unicode support in
various widgets.Translations were added for Russian and Swedish.

And this maemo release adds:
Full apps support, so linked files and urls will open with the default application.
Supported browsers: microb, fennec, tear
Supported email clients: modest
Several bugfixes and better defaults.

Last edited by maacruz; 2010-03-21 at 13:54.