Active Topics

Posts: 301 | Thanked: 531 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by tmi View Post
Speaking of backing up the DRM can the backupTA and flashtool be used in virtualized Linux (most likely Virtualbox) succesfully? What I know from experience sometimes "these kind of things" work and sometimes they don't in a VM.
It can be done from Windows too. Even I could...
Check this thread: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=99703&page=3

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rob_kouw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rob_kouw View Post
It can be done from Windows too. Even I could...
Thanks... even if I don't swing that way I had obviously missed the linked thread.

Last edited by tmi; 2017-09-10 at 21:57.

The Following User Says Thank You to tmi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 88 | Thanked: 411 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ southern Italy
Originally Posted by mariusmssj View Post
Their missing out a lot on paid apps. I know not everyone agree on this but any eco system would need free but also paid apps.
The apps meme began at Apple when they realized that iDevices specs and web specs were all but friendly, and decided to take advantage of it by suggesting that an Apps Developer could become millionaire overnight because there's always a Million Fanbois out there willing to buy your 0.99 bucks apps.

No one actually needs "apps" (except -maybe- if you think that a cellphone has to be a gaming platform).
You need at most a few "killer apps" for those things you actually need to do using a cellphone and that cannot be reliably done in the cellphone browser. That said, you don't want to pay for "apps" when free alternatives are good or even better.

This seriously limits the "paid apps" field. I think Jolla guys were right to not to waste resources on the apple-styled memes (paid apps, in-app purchases, and so on).

Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
They don't have to make promises, but just tell us which devices are also planned to be supported.
When they named the F5121 a lot of us bought it.
(arrrrrgh, my brand new F5121 already sports a bump before installing SF X!).

What if they publicly "plan to support" a model and then something bad happens? (say, "we can't get reliable wifi support": you can live without bluetooth, but you can't live without wifi...).

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to alfmar For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
I'm inclined to think likewise @alfmar does really...
I already have pretty much what I need on SFOS and cannot really imagine what plusses would paid apps bring to the platform.

The few bits and pieces missing I can fill up myself pretty neatly.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by alfmar View Post
No one actually needs "apps" (except -maybe- if you think that a cellphone has to be a gaming platform).
You need at most a few "killer apps" for those things you actually need to do using a cellphone and that cannot be reliably done in the cellphone browser. That said, you don't want to pay for "apps" when free alternatives are good or even better.
Most of the "killer apps" are simply gateways to some kind of service (whatsapp, uber, tinder, spotify .etc) anyway and until those services choose to support sailfish os then there will be a perceived app gap.

Paid apps for tablets would be great, but at current sailfish os tablets are reasonably non-existent so who would buy it?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by r0kk3rz View Post
Most of the "killer apps" are simply gateways to some kind of service (whatsapp, uber, tinder, spotify .etc) anyway and until those services choose to support sailfish os then there will be a perceived app gap.
All these are prime examples of "services" which are designed just to lure people in to be exploited and ground to powder to power the provider's machinery.

No thanks!

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
All these are prime examples of "services" which are designed just to lure people in to be exploited and ground to powder to power the provider's machinery.

No thanks!
Not that I disagree with you but pichlo already has a Sailfish device (Jolla 1) and does not need another one and juiceme alone, even if he purchased another one, is not going to save the company.

Jolla needs masses and masses are addicted to those kind of services.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
I'd rather say the world needs a change of heart!

Posts: 127 | Thanked: 203 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Switzerland
I'd say you are all way off-topic haha

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to maximilian1st For This Useful Post:
Posts: 54 | Thanked: 208 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by @JamesNoori‏
16? 13? What? #SailfishX

https://twitter.com/JamesNoori/statu...76046651932673
So... The main camera now supports 16Mpix \o/

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to brunelli For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, sony xperia x