Hey guys, long time lurker first time poster here.

I grabbed a 64 GB off Negri, so yes they are legit, and they ship fast (I did order two-day shipping though, and unless someone who ordered ground shipping says otherwise, I would advise people to order the two-day shipping since it ships from Hong Kong and having your N9 stuck on a boat for two weeks across the Pacific would suck royally). Unfortunately, Negri seems to be sold out now, but they were cheapest. Only issue with Negri is that the N9's they ship, while still genuinely unlocked, are Starhub-branded phones. This means: marked as a Starhub phone on the packaging ("Nokia N9 Black 64GB(Starhub)" on the white sticker containing IMEI number), no branding on the physical exterior of the device or any of the included accessories, a Starhub wallpaper as default (can be changed), the same graphic as the wallpaper displayed on boot after the Nokia boot sequence and before displaying the home screen(cannot be changed), and a few Starhub "apps" which are just bookmarks into the web browser for Starhub services (which cannot be deleted). In day-to-day usage it's pretty forgettable and not such a big deal, but still we hope that whatever flashing mechanism comes along will allow us to get rid of this crapware. The Starhub phones also come with Asian power adapters, but they accept US voltage so Negri throws a (really) cheap adapter (not transformer) in the FedEx box (outside the N9 packaging itself) so you can plug it into a US outlet.

I'm running this on AT&T: tried to cut down my SIM card to a micro-SIM card and failed. The electronics are just too big on the AT&T SIM cards. I ended up taking a pair of nail scissors and cutting away almost all the plastic and it still wouldn't really fit in the tray. You can force-jam it into the tray, squish the tray into the phone, no dice - the N9 just wouldn't read it. I know the SIM card still worked because I could still fit it in one of the adapters that came with the cutter, plug it into my old phone, and get a signal. So if you have AT&T, save yourself the headache and trouble, and just go to an AT&T store and ask for a micro-SIM. The AT&T store I used replaced the SIM for free for me but of course, your mileage may vary, but of course AT&T's micro-SIM fits just fine and works just fine.

I asked AT&T at the store to put me on the $15/month "basic phone" unlimited data plan. They said "that phone looks like a smartphone" so it probably wouldn't work, but when I said "I know what I'm doing, please do it anyways" and they did so. Unfortunately the guy said that the phone was coming up as an unrecognized IMEI in the system (expected) but that it was therefore rejecting it. I was able to pull down Amazon off AT&T's 3.5G (as reported on the N9) in-store but the rep said that was pay-per-use. He did, however, say that I might have better luck talking to a rep over the phone who might be able to override some stuff in the system, so I will call them on Friday (611 from an AT&T cell line).

Hope this helps guys... appreciate it if someone has a different experience and can post with getting the $15/month unlimited data on AT&T.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to solatic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by aironeous View Post
Wow, ^ you sound like an ahole. Your impression does not match what most reviews and users say.
Excuse me? Mostly I hear is about how beautiful the screen, the design, the material.

Maybe it was time to put things in perspective.

Check my pictures I have posted for you, I compare the phone with not exactly the most popular devices on the market.
I am not a fan boy of the "other side".

Where I reside for the moment the price has risen to 769 Euro's http://www.expansys.be/s.aspx?search=nokia%20N9
High trees catch wind.

I have one very positive note to make, as experience with the device grows:

I tried to keep at least 6 full web sites open and I had no problem receiving a call.

It looks like this one is going to stay as a phone.

Did I mention that flash does not work?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
ste-phan: thanks a lot for your initial thoughts - in your pictures it looks extremely cool though. Do you mind sharing where the device you got was made in, as in which country?
Thanks for liking the pictures,

sorry I could not figure out how to embed those from flickr free account. (the busy job here won't allow me the time)

I have been looking around but the device does not feature any "Made in China / Finland"

Where to look?

The sim tray does have a sticker "made in China" on it.

Also there is no external N9 marking so I guess I am in the market for a small Penguin sticker before I get beaten up by a drunken Maemo fan or something.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Please don't insult people that don't perfectly share your point of view...
The fact that this is a "maemo" forum implies that we should preferably talk "maemo" related topics. It does not imply that we should all mindlessly praise "maemo" related products.

As far as I'm concerned, I welcome all user reviews and impressions.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to erendorn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 405 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by aironeous View Post
Wow, ^ you sound like an ahole. Your impression does not match what most reviews and users say.
Whoa! Easy now! Most reviews don't agree, but the views were put across in a non-troll fashion. I'm glad we have another viewpoint - I'll wait until mine arrives to see if I agree or not.
I do agree with the back button thing though, as does Konttori. Not much they can do about it now though, unless they hackily retrofit the QML toolbar component with a micro-swipe detector

The Following User Says Thank You to vitaminj For This Useful Post:
One last thing I forgot... there is a Starhub brand on the lockscreen. Pretty annoying and may have a small effect on battery life.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to solatic For This Useful Post:
stephan, the material of the body is not plastic it is polycarbonate and the color is not painted on, it is that color throughout.

Maybe you'll like to google for the difference between plastic and polycarbonate.

For the folks saying their Negri phones are branded with Starhub, I'm guessing you guys got the 64GB models? My 16GB Magenta seems to have no branding, so the 64GB model seems to be the only common thread for those experiencing the issue.

I agree with the user who complained about the back button, but also that the back button likes to move around between some applications (upper left in some, bottom left in others). It's also about 25% too small for me to reliably and easily tap.

I also agree with the negative review's complaint about size compared to thickness. Fits great in the pocket, not as well in the hand - holding the n900 was way easier on my hands, and I can't really type one-handed anyway (so not much benefit to portrait mode for me, yet). I'll see how I adapt.

One thing I didn't mention in my mini-review is the included case. For a freebie that comes with the phone, it's actually rather nice. The color of the magenta one matches the phone's plastic rather well, it fits nicely, and the material feels good on the hands. I'm trying it with-case for a bit before I decide if I like it that way. It certainly helps ease some complaints about it being uncomfortable to hold in portrait for a while.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pebby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 126 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ San Francisco
Originally Posted by solatic View Post

I grabbed a 64 GB off Negri, so yes they are legit, and they ship fast (I did order two-day shipping though, and unless someone who ordered ground shipping says otherwise, I would advise people to order the two-day shipping since it ships from Hong Kong and having your N9 stuck on a boat for two weeks across the Pacific would suck royally).
I ordered the 16gb off of negri. I did the free ground shipping, and i was expecting it would take a week (as they said estimated 5-7 days) to get it. I ordered it on Monday, and its out for delivery right now! It came via las vegas (as opposed to HK). so I think it depends which model you bought.

The Following User Says Thank You to charbar For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by solatic View Post

I grabbed a 64 GB off Negri, so yes they are legit, and they ship fast ...
Do you know what their warranty policy is on this phone? I chatted with a rep and he first said 1yr manufacturer's. When I reminded him this phone has no US manufacturer's warranty he said they offer 1yr free warranty.

I'm a bit uneasy about that response.

Does anyone know if Squaretrade smartphone warranty would work on N9 here in the US?

Unfortunately, Amex will not offer extended warranty on items w/o US manufacturer's warranty.

The Following User Says Thank You to vip For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????