Active Topics

Originally Posted by zimon View Post
Can Symbian run on multicore-CPU-platforms, does it have a thread-safe code? I think not, neither does WP. Both are unusable for high end phones.
Even the N95 had a dual core and it ran Symbian. Symbian is thread safe for sure, and has been so for ages.

What is a high end phone anyway these days?

Fortunately China will be our savior. It will not allow every Chinese citizen to have USA based eavesdropping and spying device (WP, iOS, Android) in their pockets.

For that reason only, Tizen will be a success and have at least 1 billion users. Nokia was stupid to go with the devil and dump open source route. Samsung, Huawei and others will do it now and Nokia will vanish and also the rest will be assimilated by Microsoft.

Forget Maemo, forget Meego, forget Qt, concentrate, support and help Tizen development.

Originally Posted by specc View Post
Even the N95 had a dual core and it ran Symbian. Symbian is thread safe for sure, and has been so for ages.

What is a high end phone anyway these days?
N95 did not have multicore-CPU.
DSP+CPU+GPU is a different thing than multicore-CPU-support, if you think requirements from an OS.

High-end phones nowadays have at least dual-core CPU.

Last edited by zimon; 2012-04-24 at 20:01.

Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
So. You may think that the Ovi store was a failure. You are entitled to that opinion. Yet the facts are, that on four of six inhabited continents, it was the most used app store. You may think Symbian is obsolete and useless. You are entitled to that opinion. Yet the facts are, that on five of the six inhabited continents, Symbian was the bestselling smartphone OS. And you may think that Nokia's smartphones are not fit to sell in any market. You are entitled to that opinion. The facts are, that until Elop destroyd the brand just 12 months ago, Nokia branded smartphones were easily selling more than all iPhones and all Samsung smartphones added together - and growing at about the same rate, while growing profits too. The real paying customers in China, rest of Asia, Africa, Latin America, and to a lesser extent, in Europe and Oceania - were snapping up those Nokia smartphones quite happily. And today, that most award-winning 808 PureView superphone, it also runs on Symbian, on tech so advanced you cannot build the same phone on an Android or Windows Phone OS. Symbian is not dead (yet)
I mean, this is just a rant with no substance at all. He got the rhetoric right, but that is all. As much as I like Symbian, it is outdated, and Nokia proved to be unable to reform it into a modern OS. That is the fact. The 808 PureView has been in the oven for 5 years - FIVE YEARS. Five years ago iOS and Android did not even exist, and today Android rule the world. If Nokia had used Android, it would have taken 5 months to get the PureView camera working.

Ahonen is a joke.

Posts: 149 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Slovenia, Ljubljana
I mean, this is just a rant with no substance at all. He got the rhetoric right, but that is all. As much as I like Symbian, it is outdated, and Nokia proved to be unable to reform it into a modern OS. That is the fact. The 808 PureView has been in the oven for 5 years - FIVE YEARS. Five years ago iOS and Android did not even exist, and today Android rule the world. If Nokia had used Android, it would have taken 5 months to get the PureView camera working.

Ahonen is a joke.
Pureview's 5 years devlopment has nothing to do with OS. If those 5 years were because of an OS, then SE would beaten N8 and few others or at least be the same. This development was more on a hardware wise.

Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
i love the elop effect xD

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
the os closest to die is apples iOS. It had its peak and will now slowly fade away and die, after that its android's turn. Imagine the unimaginable and you might be ready to predict the future.

Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
the os closest to die is apples iOS. It had its peak and will now slowly fade away and die, after that its android's turn. Imagine the unimaginable and you might be ready to predict the future.
http://www.zerohedge.com/sites/defau...0Cash%20Q1.jpg

Originally Posted by drvar View Post
Pureview's 5 years devlopment has nothing to do with OS. If those 5 years were because of an OS, then SE would beaten N8 and few others or at least be the same. This development was more on a hardware wise.
That wasn't my point. The point was that Android has taken 3-4 years to develop into a full blown OS supporting an uncountable permutation of hardware. If Nokia had used Android, they wouldn't use 5 years to make the PureView HW work on that platform. Max 5 months (my guess, probably less). On a second thought, they probably would use 5 years, and it would still be buggy when it launched.

The second point was that they had 5 years to develop Symbian for that HW.

Hence, Ahonen's rant is nothing but pointless rant. He has serious problems.

Posts: 115 | Thanked: 136 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Central Ohio
Originally Posted by timoph View Post
ah. Tomi Ahonen. If you want a constant stream of Nokia bashing he's your man to follow. He does have a few valid points but he really needs to find himself a girl or something to get some other things into his life. Putting that much time and energy to bashing nokia doesn't seem very healthy.

edit: didn't read that post. I've read enough of his stuff.
Enh. His shtick isn't so much Nokia bashing as Elop bashing, which I would have assumed to be fairly popular around here. That said... yeah, he repeats himself a lot in these blog entries, and it gets really old really quickly.

That wasn't my point. The point was that Android has taken 3-4 years to develop into a full blown OS supporting an uncountable permutation of hardware. If Nokia had used Android, they wouldn't use 5 years to make the PureView HW work on that platform. Max 5 months (my guess, probably less). On a second thought, they probably would use 5 years, and it would still be buggy when it launched.

The second point was that they had 5 years to develop Symbian for that HW.

Hence, Ahonen's rant is nothing but pointless rant. He has serious problems.
You're missing the point. IT'S NOT THE OS!!! There was no sensor at such size with 41 MP during the time. Also, there was no SoC powerful enough to process such images. Even, the current (thought to be) most powerful SoC, Exynos, even Tegra 3, can't cope with 41MP. 808 may suffer CPU wise, however, GPU and DSP wise, it's in a league of its own.

Tags
blame game, elop the m0ron, goodbyenokia, lumiatard, mistertard, the nokia bash, what's next