Active Topics

Notices

Hi all,

I am currently using drop cache to clear memory.

My problem is that after clearing, only 300rmb is free out of 985rmb.
6 Months ago, after clearing, I could get around 750rmb free.

Is there another solution or app that could help clear more memory?

To clear swap, I just reboot my phone.

Many thanks in advance for your replies.

Posts: 230 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Helsinki, Suomi (Finland)
Why would you want to slow the system down by clearing cache?
Program startup gets noticeably faster once its cached and clearing cache forces the system to reload programs from flash memory instead of RAM, which is slower.

Only slowdowns I ever have are either caused by restarting the phone (indexing and loading from flash) or stuff that seems I/O related (updating feeds).

I usually have uptimes of >100 days and performance is as good if not better than first day. Only thing needed IMO is keeping track of possible runaway/crashed processes. Programs don't always exit cleanly and can get stuck (not freeing the memory claimed by them). In that case kill command is your friend.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ladoga For This Useful Post:
Yep stop clearing your cache. Free memory is useless memory. The more memory is used and apps are cached the faster your device will be. Just close some of them knows possible battery hogs when you don't use them. You should know how painfully slow the device can be right after a reboot.

The Following User Says Thank You to dannejanne For This Useful Post:
Posts: 649 | Thanked: 762 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Ohio
For me, clearing the cache with DropCache helps with system lag. Yes, it might cause an app an extra half a second to open the first time after clearing the cache, but to me it is a fair trade to not see lag when switching homescreens, or scrolling through my messages. To each his own.
To OP, I have never cleared more than 300rmb at one time.

The Following User Says Thank You to imaginaryenemy For This Useful Post:
I thought clearing cache/memory would make the phone faster... I use dropcache when my phine lags...

Posts: 1,539 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ With my N9
Originally Posted by kikujiro0208 View Post
I thought clearing cache/memory would make the phone faster... I use dropcache when my phine lags...
Dropcache really doesn't have positive effects on the day to day operation of the N9.

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Times Banned from TMO: 4

Originally Posted by dannejanne View Post
Yep stop clearing your cache. Free memory is useless memory. The more memory is used and apps are cached the faster your device will be. Just close some of them knows possible battery hogs when you don't use them. You should know how painfully slow the device can be right after a reboot.
hi dannejanne, how can i check which apps are battery hogs?

Originally Posted by ladoga View Post
Why would you want to slow the system down by clearing cache?
Program startup gets noticeably faster once its cached and clearing cache forces the system to reload programs from flash memory instead of RAM, which is slower.

Only slowdowns I ever have are either caused by restarting the phone (indexing and loading from flash) or stuff that seems I/O related (updating feeds).

I usually have uptimes of >100 days and performance is as good if not better than first day. Only thing needed IMO is keeping track of possible runaway/crashed processes. Programs don't always exit cleanly and can get stuck (not freeing the memory claimed by them). In that case kill command is your friend.
hi ladoga, how can i check if a program has a clean exit?

Posts: 230 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Helsinki, Suomi (Finland)
Originally Posted by kikujiro0208 View Post
hi ladoga, how can i check if a program has a clean exit?
Close all applications, open terminal and then use ps (or top/htop) command to list all processes. Watch the listing to spot any applications that shouldn't be running. (those apps that you have installed yourself and have recently ran) Exception to this are prestarted stock applications like grob (the default web browser) which are always there and automatically restarted if killed.

For example if fennec (firefox) is listed even if not open, then you know it has crashed.
Code:
$ killall -9 fennec
does the trick and force kills it.

You'll soon find out the usual culprits and in the future can simply filter ps output for their names to quickly see if they have crashed or failed to close. For example:

Code:
 $ ps -A | grep fennec

To monitor your battery usage you can use graphical Battery Usage app http://store.ovi.com/content/138659 and power analysis tools installable from developer mode menu in the Settings application. From command line you can use powertop and bmestat.

Last edited by ladoga; 2013-09-16 at 06:54.

The Following User Says Thank You to ladoga For This Useful Post: