Active Topics

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
vicious, wicked, evil creature!
sorry, poor joke, i know...

its basically how my humor works these days...

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Yuck, I think that commenting on an isolated typo is not clever, regardless of the justification. For one thing, it's been done zillions of time before by self-satisfied idiots, too many times to win the brilliancy prize.
Wow, I was thinking the same of people responding to wry humor with criticism!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I guess it depends on what your definition of wry is. I have seen so many comments by people thinking they are clever when pointing out typos of people criticizing something that it doesn't make me laugh, it makes me ill.

But maybe you haven't see this hundreds of times as I have.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Oh I'm sure I have. But everyone has their own means and motives for the silly things they do. Including rants like the OP's.

Originally Posted by Johnx View Post
<random rambling><wishful thinking>Might be nice to have a modified version of man that reads man pages from an SD card.
No modification should be needed; just set MANPATH in /etc/man.config.

Doesn't help with how to get all the man pages onto the SD card, of course, but once they're there, it should work.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 172 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sweden
Really, can't this be fixed??? I finally upgraded to fremantle pr1.3 and after reinstalling about 100 packages found that more than 10% failed because of a clash between optification and docpurge! AAARRRGGGGHHHHH!

Optification tried to move files that had been removed by docpurge!

Two FUBAR-Kluges clash!!!

List of some of the failed packages:
tar-gnu
wget
libopenjpeg2
libpoppler5
libpoppler-qt4-3
libsdl-gfx1.2-4
osso-abook-plugin-merge-contacts
theme-customizer
opendune

I managed to get most of them working by doing touch <missing file that should be optified>, and gave up on the rest in frustration. It's rather pointless anyway, since a system without documentation can not be used for serious work!

Oh, by the way, don't do

apt-get remove docpurge

mp-fremantle-generic-pr depends on it, so if you remove docpurge, you can't get OTA updates to Maemo any longer...

The easiest way of getting 'man' to work is still to install Easy Debian! Yes, it is easier to install a complete operating system in a chroot than to get man working!!!

I vote for optification, docpurge and other rubbish in the same vein being the worst decisions made in the history of Maemo-5! Why, oh why, didn't you properly use the large filesystems that actually exist???

***sorry I'm a bit upset from the pain of ripping my hair out***

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Wasn't qwerty12's post indicative of the fact that it was just a shell script, that you could, IDK, comment out the purging/deleting lines from? Also, this thread really seems like it was about the earlier-than-Fremantle versions of Maemo... (Not to mention that I never had this problem, so I don't know if I'm just lucky, or there's something f'ed up going on on your device.)

Posts: 172 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sweden
Yes, I have commented out those lines myself, rather than uninstall the package as per the previous advice, but all users are not able to perform those kinds of maneuvers, right? And all my man-pages, doc and info files are gone: I do not feel like running re-install on all my system packages!

The thread is certainly from pre-fremantle and that is precisely the reason for my ire! Why in the whole world wasn't docpurge cleaned out ages ago??? Along with stunted command sets like busybox? The work in cleaning out busybox and docpurge (even if there are some dependencies on busybox) could hardly have equaled the amount of work that has had to go into making optification work!

The problems I have arose from some specific packages; not all packages fail. But obviously, docpurge and optification are an added source of problems that we are still dragging along. Ho hum, MeeGo will clear it all out, I suppose. It's just that it seems really unnecessary that fremantle still has these anachronistic faults, it could have been done right from the start.