Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Also this one:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/...ans-necessary/

It quite nicely describes how Google incrementally abandons open source apps and components and moves stuff into their proprietary Google Apps - including APIs!
You may not like it as a user but what would you do if you were Google?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
According to replies in TJC, Turing will reopen pre-orders this month:
https://together.jolla.com/question/...r-sailfish-os/

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
According to replies in TJC, Turing will reopen pre-orders this month:
https://together.jolla.com/question/...r-sailfish-os/
Who Will play on this gambling site?

The Phone looks cool. But is it cool in the real world?

IF you planning to place a bet, please raise you hand so I can understand how you Are thinking.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2016-02-04 at 14:50.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
The magnetic charger reminds me of the HP Veer which had something similar. It also had wireless charging and the connector had 2 different adapters, one for audio and one for USB data/charging. Interesting as long as replacements are inexpensive.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kingstu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 405 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by kingstu View Post
The magnetic charger reminds me of the HP Veer which had something similar. It also had wireless charging and the connector had 2 different adapters, one for audio and one for USB data/charging.
The Veer had a good reason as it was microscopic though and there wasn't really room, is there actually any good reason for this magnetic thing on this massive phone? I would guess there's some security handwaving going on, but if there's an adaptor then that's pointless. Does anyone know if it was detailed elsewhere?

The Following User Says Thank You to vitaminj For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
They wrote on their Facebook page that it was for security and less possible for water intrusion.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
They wrote on their Facebook page that it was for security and less possible for water intrusion.
Which is nonsense.

Sony have been including waterproof headphone sockets on their phones for years and also magnetic power connections up until recently where they've now ditched the mag connector for waterproof micro USB. Previously the USB port was only waterproof with a flap with a seal around it's edge.

Rumour has it the next model is waterproof USB-C as Sony has also released USB-C memory sticks.

I've a Z1c and a Z3c tablet and can attest to the waterproof abilities of those. I ride a bike in all weathers with a Z1c on the handlebar and it's been totally waterproof except for when I pulled the mag connector out. The connector is stuck on with what looks like double sided tape. I stuck it back with 'Stormsure' tent glue.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 307 | Thanked: 1,460 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
Which is nonsense.

Sony have been including waterproof headphone sockets on their phones for years and also magnetic power connections up until recently where they've now ditched the mag connector for waterproof micro USB. Previously the USB port was only waterproof with a flap with a seal around it's edge.

Rumour has it the next model is waterproof USB-C as Sony has also released USB-C memory sticks.

I've a Z1c and a Z3c tablet and can attest to the waterproof abilities of those. I ride a bike in all weathers with a Z1c on the handlebar and it's been totally waterproof except for when I pulled the mag connector out. The connector is stuck on with what looks like double sided tape. I stuck it back with 'Stormsure' tent glue.
Sony have a whole pile of cash to come up with that stuff though. I wouldn't expect a kickstarter to be able to keep up with all that.

The Following User Says Thank You to billranton For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by billranton View Post
Sony have a whole pile of cash to come up with that stuff though. I wouldn't expect a kickstarter to be able to keep up with all that.
I am getting really tired of this "but they are a startup" excuse. A startup cannot use an off-the-shelf component?

To be fair, before aegis' post, I also assumed that they used a non-standard connector to achieve water protection but once you know what to look for, you find hundreds of existing solutions. No need to reinvent the wheel.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Dang it... I can no longer find it but isn't this basically the 3 year project originally named Quasar IV or something?

Edit: Found it... he promised that he'd give those backers back in 2013 or so two of these phones for their investments.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:

Tags
dave999scam, sailfish, scamfish, turing, turingphone