Posts: 156 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Los Angeles, CA
One thing I do strongly believe is that apple doesn't innovate ANYTHING. The only thing they did was create the app store to let developers do all the innovation for them.

They also have a bad habit of downplaying other company's achievements until they do the same or 1 up it by a tad.

just a few are: front facing camera, video chat, multitasking, high screen resolution. For some time they had about none of these, and when questioned, they blow it off like, "psh, yeah, but who needs that..." Then when they implement the features in their phone, they present it like they invented it.

For a nearly a year, the n900 had a much higher resolution than the iphone
For years, other phone has already supported video chat
Winmo, Web OS, Symbian, Maemo, etc has excelled in multitasking for so many years.
probably dozens if not hundreds can do video chat

Now tell me what would an Iphone owner say if you told them this when the iphone came out, iphone 3g?, iphone 3gs? They don't care, they will always be a douche and say "so whats your point" and now they try to throw it in your face when they think they've one upped you, tell me if i'm wrong

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RogerTHAcctant For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
One thing I do strongly believe is that apple doesn't innovate ANYTHING.
Apple has so much innovation embedded in its products that a user like you can't see it because they have become such industry standards in some cases.

Now tell me what would an Iphone owner say if you told them this when the iphone came out, iphone 3g?, iphone 3gs? They don't care, they will always be a douche and say "so whats your point" and now they try to throw it in your face when they think they've one upped you, tell me if i'm wrong
For what most users had to do, the iphone was always good at: music, web and apps. Most of all there were no other competitors for a good few years. The fact that say the e71 had a camera flash was a positive but not a dealbreaker.

Last edited by imperiallight; 2010-08-23 at 03:50.

Originally Posted by chaoscreater View Post
LOL WTF...??

This is the most random and ****ed up example i've ever seen someone use.......

And being gay is just......why would u want that?? It's not natural. It's a matter of choice, i get that. I have no grudges against gays, but seriously, that's just wrong. U'd be ****ed in the brain to choose to be gay coz it's just against the natural path. But that's a whole different topic, and i'm gonna quit right here.
Example proven.

The Following User Says Thank You to xxxxts For This Useful Post:
Posts: 156 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Los Angeles, CA
Originally Posted by imperiallight View Post
Apple has so much innovation embedded in its products that a user like you can't see it because they have become such industry standards in some cases.

For what most users had to do, the iphone was always good at: music, web and apps. Most of all there were no other competitors for a good few years. The fact that say the e71 had a camera flash was a positive but not a dealbreaker.
If I can't see it, why don't you just tell me what they innovated? the UI.... period?
music you can get a classic ipod for that, you can't say web (that's too broad of a category, old argument, but it doesn't even support flash) and not back that up. And thus, because it doesn't support flash of course they have a bunch of apps, for every app they have, can't i just have a bookmark to a website that does the same job to the app because my phone can support it.

go.

Originally Posted by RogerTHAcctant View Post
If I can't see it, why don't you just tell me what they innovated? the UI.... period?
music you can get a classic ipod for that, you can't say web (that's too broad of a category, old argument, but it doesn't even support flash) and not back that up. And thus, because it doesn't support flash of course they have a bunch of apps, for every app they have, can't i just have a bookmark to a website that does the same job to the app because my phone can support it.

go.
The mind boggles if you think that the iphone wasn't driven by innovation, an OS developed from the ground up. That goes out to most haters in this forum.

- They popularised the 3.5" touch screen category of phones.
- The finger touch only mode of interaction with the UI
- The removal of hardware keyboards
- Accelorometer control of the screen
- Slide to unlock, Visual voicemail, too many things that has meant that the whole device is packed with patents. They say imitation the greatest form of flattery and there sure has been a lot of that in the market.

Hardware
- Multitouch + Capacitative technology as the future of mobiles
- Proximity sensor (sensing phone next to face)
- Gyroscope
- 900*600 res screen
But the iphone is only developed once a year and doesn't depend on its hardware to make it succeed. making it even more remarkable. Other manufacturers add on a few specs to entice nerds but these kind of people know the price of everything and the value of nothing. Ring any bells?

As for the five main features of the iphone:

Music: Building on the phenomenal success of the ipod, it led to once less device to carry. You know I could always carry my camera with flash with my iphone if you want to take that line of shoddy argument
Web: It alone was responsible for a huge increase in data traffic as people used it to access the web. Must be doing something right hey?
Apps: 250, 000 apps and 5 billion downloads. Theres an app for that.
Gaming: People are citing this as a reason for handheld gaming consoles to drop in sales
UI: Much imitated...

And an app is much faster than the web you know... hence why people create apps for this platform too?

Last edited by imperiallight; 2010-08-23 at 14:54.

Posts: 89 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London
just finished reading the whole thread... i must say im impressed most of you didnt flame back to apple. very good points made

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by chaoscreater View Post
But that's a whole different topic, and i'm gonna quit right here.
Good idea for everyone. Let's just not get into it here.

Also, relocated to N900 section.

Originally Posted by RogerTHAcctant View Post
One thing I do strongly believe is that apple doesn't innovate ANYTHING. The only thing they did was create the app store to let developers do all the innovation for them.
For some reason I doubt you ever tried to use a pre-iPhone mobile web browser (Maemo excluded of course, but then, the 770 wasn't something the average consumer would pick up. The N800 wasn't particularly mainstream either).

Then there's the whole optimize the UI for finger touch. Imagine being able to efficiently and easily navigate the UI with one hand without having to sacrifice a huge, high resolution (relatively, for the time) screen. For some reason, nobody else could figure that out. PalmOS and WinMo hadn't actually changed in years and were stuck with stylus-oriented UI's. Some WinMo phones didn't even have that. Symbian was stuck on tiny screens with button-only interaction. One handed and somewhat easy, but lacking efficiency and unable to display much data at once.

The media player, though, wasn't particularly innovative. Just a logical evolution to a finger-touch UI.

Visual Voicemail was also a brilliant idea.

That said, the iPhone should have flopped because all it's benefits (with the exception of Visual voicemail, and maybe the finger-touch UI) had/have severe flaws, not to mention the dozens of other shortcomings. The two reasons I believe it succeeded:
1. It's Apple. Kinda similar to how people got hooked on Windows in the early 90s.
2. The competition was even worse. An analogy: iPhone OS 1.0 was a 4 tool Swiss army knife missing two tools and the front half of the blade completely flat. The competition was a 1 foot (~.3 m) wide monster with dozens of tools.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheTree For This Useful Post:
I agree and have said similar before on here. The Market was extraordinarily stale with win mo and symbian and palm os. I knew it was in desperate need of shake up and innovation but didn't know a new player would provide this.

Posts: 124 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Sweden
when i deal with some friends (iphone owners) who tries to battle, i usually just praise them and their presentation of their iphone. most of the time they get surprised - like they expect counter attacks, but they get none...
after a while they start to think the battle is a sure victory - still getting a bit confused why i dont defend the N900 aggresivly. thats when they take the initiative to ask why i even bought the n900.
then i make a smooth demonstration (counterattack) of all the functionalities of the n900. (massive videocodec suite, easydebian incl. open office+tvout+bluetooth keyb/mouse, "mass storage device" compatible usb, usbhost, fcam, microsd, bluemaemo, irreco, fmtransmiter, bounce, emulators, mobile hotspot, 44khz wav dictaphone, flash, mypaint, good handling of pdf, zip/rar, other OSes, and other even more advanced stuff.

usually these friends (quite geeky that tries to battle) - who are so skeptic in the beginning - drop their jaw while i present these things (like the linux desktop on the tv with bt keyb/mouse).

the next time someone else tries to battle - these "converted" people have actually betrayed their iphone comrade and assisted in defending the n900 - even though they both have the iphone.

there are only a few friends that i actually make battle with - and then its just for fun. it starts out normally but after a few minutes... in lack of other features we take the dumbest bugs of our phones and present them like mindblowing killer features!

Last edited by S0urcerr0r; 2010-08-23 at 07:44.

The Following User Says Thank You to S0urcerr0r For This Useful Post: