Notices

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by jonnymarx View Post
Code:
/home/user/MyDocs # dpkg - i MyDocs/mytheme.deb
The first part of the path is showing you your current directory. You can see it ends in "MyDocs". Then, your final parameter to dpkg is specifying the file to install. You've asked it to install a file called mytheme.deb in the folder MyDocs. But you're already in MyDocs!

Try instead:

Code:
/home/user/MyDocs # dpkg - i mytheme.deb
Also ensuring, as kanishou says, that "mytheme.deb" is the actual name of the file that you've copied to the N900!

Okay, thank you it works!

The problem was, like Jaffa said. Someone before advices me to change to the MyDocs folder, this was my mistake.

Thank you everyone!

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Oct 2009 @ shanghai CHAINA
Originally Posted by joppu View Post
What's your O/S?
windows/linux

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Finland
After reading this thread I'm curious to know (in a non-developer way) if it will be at all possible to install new themes by simply opening a theme package (deb) with the N900, eg. download a theme with the device from website x > open theme file > activate theme > enjoy?

Sorry for the noob questions coming from the designers corner Trying to stand in the gap here.

Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Well there has been the decision to remove the option to install anything by just clicking the .deb. It's to encourage developers and users to use the repos to distribute their stuff. So now, if you want to install from the deb, you'll need to use the terminal.

Thanks for the reply Joppu.

It would be great to install/manage all personalization related things (wallpaper, theme, opening video) by using a simple application, since most of maemo users will never use a terminal.

Current situation doesn't leave much options for generating revenue out of personalized content for majority of users. Free content eg. themes can be shared via Maemo.org repos and for paid content theres Ovi under construction, which still is out of the question for individual designers and small studios. Being a VAT registered business isn't the challenge, but getting Media Publisher status is, since it requires 1M USD general liability insurance which costs an arm and a leg, but the real frustration starts to kick when you notice that you're limited to 20 paid and/or free published items.

Are there any options in between for this simple use case: User pays and downloads a file with personalized content, clicks and installs, the old fashioned way? And please don't say use Ovi for things with a pricetag, it just isn't viable. There's a growing group of designers and artists not fitting into Ovi criteria and crying out for alternatives.

Sorry if its a bit off topic. This is a big deal for people looking to create and distribute content and getting paid for it, themes in particular.

Adding to previous post: By options for the use case I mean scripts/applications etc. any other more user friendly ways to install personalized content than using a terminal.

I'll answer my own previous question, just in case anyone else comes seeking for the same info:

- About app manager not installing debs
- App installer (no experience, should do the trick but dont know if its easy enough for "grandma".)

I have another Question.

I work for a company, which want to offer Themes for N900. is it possible, to unpack the .deb automatically, via file-manager or something like that?

It is quite unconvenient for a user to make such big operations in the Terminal, you see?

Hope to get help here,

Best wishes,
Jonny

Posts: 321 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hellas
Since last firmware update, I am not sure if it's possible to install .deb files without Terminal.

Boot Videos: [ Maemo 1 & 2 ] | Matrix ]

Like my work? Consider making a Donation