Active Topics

Poll: Nokia to release the Maemo Source Code.
Poll Options
Nokia to release the Maemo Source Code.

Closed Thread
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I doubt you'll get to examine the full Maemo source code.
This is the bit that gets to me and i fail to understand why stskeeps and the CSSU team do not openly work together posting progress on this forum, it would make a lot of people breathe a sigh of relief knowing something concrete is happening.

Yes i think you are right in that we will not get to see the Maemo code from source but i do hope this Poll makes someone somewhere move there Arss to put it bluntly as it if nothing else lets everyone know the interest in the N900 to date.

The actions erlier on kind of shook me because i never expected such behaviour from that individual so i am in kind of shock more at the moment and probably not making the best of my posts so please forgive me ok.

Last edited by abill_uk; 2011-05-28 at 20:48.

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
abill give up on your quest for opening remaining code, people have been asking for years and was successful to a certain extent b/c nokia released lot new code during the life of Maemo 5 to help certain project.
But no more will be released and its worthless to try and do what stkeeps and others tried do for years with mixed success before moving on.

The Following User Says Thank You to NvyUs For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
This is the bit that gets to me and i fail to understand why stskeeps and the CSSU team do not openly work together posting progress on this forum, it would make a lot of people breathe a sigh of relief knowing something concrete is happening.
I don't see this secrecy as a personal preference of stskeeps and others. I can not really blame them. There were several attempts in creating an alternative distribution, and all of them have failed due to the closed source nature of critical hardware components.

The thing is probably regulated within their contracts. I suspect that it is essentially gag order. I don't expect them to confirm, since this is probably also covered.

Before accusing stskeeps and others please note that they have also invested significant efforts and time in this program themselves, to be found obsolete by a new Nokia strategy.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to momcilo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
abill give up on your quest for opening remaining code, people have been asking for years and was successful to a certain extent b/c nokia released lot new code during the life of Maemo 5 to help certain project.
But no more will be released and its worthless to try and do what stkeeps and others tried do for years with mixed success before moving on.
IYes you are most likely to be right on that one and i am still happy to start this poll because it proves the interest still there and will make dev's happy to know this i am sure.

My wish is stskeeps share as much as he can and for him to move a little quicker than he has done as people do seem to be rather sick of the waiting game.

No flaming here no name calling or anything bad being said from me, i just want to sit back and see where this goes now.

I will say again that although i started this Poll it is purely for this Community to venture out and let everyone know there feelings so i will now pass this over to everyone and take a rest from posting if you dont mind.

Last words for a while DAMMMM Nokia !!!!.

So what is the plan?

We all email the council to pressurise release of BME and dialler code to MAG and/or joerg?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Seems like all this flaming nonsense has blown through, I hope. So, now for some proper discussion.

What pressure can be exerted, by who and on whom, in order to fix those functions which do not perform as advertised/reasonably_expected*.

The release could be by PR (or equiv.) (unlikely) or code, which would require an amount of effort to. Are there any cases where the interface (inc. comments) would suffice and where the release of the implementation isn't required?

In addition to any code that might be released, documents and code-comments are much needed.

Instead of a yes/no poll, a top 10/top 20 list of fixes. BME and dialer are mentioned, for me it's vsync and video frame-drops that gripe. In many ways, I don't mind that much about all the code but I mind a lot when the device doesn't do what it says on the tin or features have been unreasonably turned off (e.g. input devices) and yet, I'm obliged to pay for it all the same.

*see previous posts for explanation.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to demolition For This Useful Post:
I would like to see it happen, voted YES but I will not hold my breath.

The Following User Says Thank You to adosanjh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
So what is the plan?

We all email the council to pressurise release of BME and dialler code to MAG and/or joerg?
There's been like literally manyears been put into talking Nokia into this BME disclosing thing, and bottom line: it won't happen. My last take on it been I'm not even interested in disclosure of BME as it's evidently of really low quality and we have better means meanwhile for charging battery.
There are however a truckload of closed things in maemo that *should* get disclosed (as you frequently see them getting disclosed to meego folks as soon as they ask for it :-/ - even without any notice to maemo community about the fact).
Some of them being:
# the parts of modem management stack that handle SMS-CB (the cell broadcast that's evidently handled by a buggy piece of SW which results in no way to interface it or just get meaningful logs in syslog: the string of received msg is empty due to a bug),
# the hal-addon-bme that tells hal about battery status, so any replacement for bme could do proper charging-state reporting, bat-low warnings and actual system shutdown
# dialer, plus all the IPC it does and also the obscure chat it does to BME and whatnot else
# mce and all its plugins, so we could finally handle e.g. kbd-backlight and ALS controlled screen brightness in a useful non-annoying manner, among other things
# *FULL* correct documentation of the N900 flavour of ISI, including the GPS parts as GPS is hooked to modem, not to APE
.... etc etc pp

Last effort regarding all this been by johnwil and me, like 3 months ago -> result: as usual - much effort put in to deliver rationale and reason, to spot the parts we NEED and single out the ones Nokia can keep, and the BIG VOID as a reaction from Nokia, though council supported that effort and promised to talk to Nokia. I've never heard anything about it after that.

I simply can't agree with texrat's notion either (and probably stskeep's) regarding code quality. For most things I do simply not care about code quality, I just need the header files and the only documentation about how those obscure things work inside: the sourcecode, however ugly it might be. It's a real bold slander and gross disrespect against maemo community and N900 customers at large, to answer repeated requests for opening up e.g audio / mce things with WONTFIX or mere silence, while disclosing the same maemo things to meego-arm folks without any problems, just for asking politely.
That's what really makes me feel pissed by Nokia. And I don't think they will care to change anything about it now that they don't even care about meego anymore basically

have to stop here before this gets to long and emotional

/jOERG

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I didn't come to my recent conclusion easily, guys. I had to face grim reality. That is not the same as giving up or in. I would still like to see the complete Maemo 5 (and others actually) code released to the community. But reality is an *** kicker.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
current, daddys ketchup, flog dead horse, give him, just shoot me, must not say no, no argue ok, play nice, situation, yes or highway