Active Topics

Posts: 123 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ South Bend, Indiana
Originally Posted by Redshift View Post
Carman's looking pretty sweet! Definitely would be interested in this. By the way, would it be compatible with bluetooth devices such as this?

http://www.obdkey.com/vehiclediagnostics.asp
At the bottom of the software page Carman and the tablets are specifically mentioned. Still a little too pricey for me though.

Posts: 149 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Germany
Wow! Thank you!
Sad that N810 doesn't have an acceleration sensor, so you could release the ultimate driftbox (www.driftbox.com).
Or can we use a N82 over bluetooth to get acceleration data into N810? (like ExtGPS)
This would be awesome if Carman supports acceleration data from a Nxx phone over bluetooth and work like a driftbox with GPS logging...

Originally Posted by spartanNTX View Post
At the bottom of the software page Carman and the tablets are specifically mentioned. Still a little too pricey for me though.
Ahh thanks, I didn't see that as I only scrolled through the menu. Sweet!

With regards to the price, most of the car enthusiasts I know use ScanGauge II, which costs the same as the OBDKey with Bluetooth module. The benefit of using Carman on a tablet would be more extensive logging and analysis. I think it'd be a great tool to optimize driving habits for increasing gas mileage.

Hi folks,

since version 0.6 carman supports Obdkey.

In this new version we focusing on the EFL UI and on the data comunication daemon. The version 0.7 will have 3 new modes:

- Gauge (already available in the current version, but with a better graphics and interaction)
- Map view - integrated with GPS
- Trip report (see the obd recorded data crossing it with geo location data - OBD x time or distance X geo location data)
- Follow ( using pidgin to exchange geo location and obd data with a buddy) - nice to see where your buddy is

We are working hard on it and we expect to have a release soon.

Posts: 531 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ This side of insane, that side of genius
folhabranca,

you're saying that i can now see what my air/fuel mixture ratio is based on altitude, given the same speed and engine load? now those are datasets...

i digress...

i have the elmscan 5 bluetooth device. the data that is reported by carman is done so in a serial fashion. that is to say, one sensor is updated and then another, and so on. are there obdii devices that allow for a more parallel operation that will allow updates to occur in a more real time fashion?

is the serialized data collection a functional limitation of the elmscan device or that of carman? i am really interested in getting a device that more closely shows the data in real time, as i figure its the elmscan and not carman.

i may have an elmscan 5 BT up for sale in the near future...
ElmScan 5 BlueTooth
BlackBerry Bold (9000)
AT&T Wireless

Marcelo (aka handful) of INdT has announced that the new version of Carman is coming August. Carman is an on-baord diagnostic analyzer for the internet tablet that lets you monitor and detect problems on your automobile by accessing the data stored on your car’s on-board computer, the same data that service technicians use. The new version gets a user interface overhaul and mimics the interface of Canola. A Trip Report feature has been added that lets you graph your trips so you can find the fastest and most econimical route, based on engine stress. It also adds simple navigation using maps from OpenStreetMaps. Some screenshots below. You can find more at Marcelo's blog.
Read the full article.

Posts: 1,412 | Thanked: 594 times | Joined on Aug 2005 @ Recife, Brazil
Hi Brendam,

Eduardo is going probably to answer you in more detail, but as I was aware of this detail since the beginning I can talk about it

It's indeed serial, and you need to get the values in sequence, but the improvements made by eduardo and the team (Folhabranca is his nickname) is giving now 100ms reading time, what you will give you aprox. 10 values / second, and those can be of different sensors. As altitude and others comes from gps you will be able to have ~13-14 values / second I believe it's a good data set!

This delay was really annoying and now I think it's much more improved and responsive

ADDING : screen for the Follow feature
This is really nice feature: Imagine being able to set routes based on your friend, not a place? Well we actually are not going to deploy routes live tracing now, but it can be done easily.

Marcelo
OpenBossa Labs @ INdT, Recife Brazil
http://openbossa.indt.org

Last edited by handful; 2008-06-24 at 14:02.

The Following User Says Thank You to handful For This Useful Post:
Posts: 531 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ This side of insane, that side of genius
i have a few posts ( here and here ) that go into a bit more detail about the vendor specific engine codes and the functionality that would be really neat in carman. i would love to hear from eduardo or his team on the feasibility of implementing a more user friendly way of showing those codes and their description.

i really cant wait for the new version to come out, as it makes "shade tree mechanic" diagnostics that much easier.
ElmScan 5 BlueTooth
BlackBerry Bold (9000)
AT&T Wireless

Posts: 1,412 | Thanked: 594 times | Joined on Aug 2005 @ Recife, Brazil
Brenda, he just came here on my table and I told him about your question he is coming to answer you better. But this is indeed our goal, to support as much as we can and with the code descriptions can be easy or we can generate a tool or something

Marcelo
OpenBossa Labs @ INdT, Recife Brazil
http://openbossa.indt.org

The DTCs description is in the dtc.in file (https://garage.maemo.org/plugins/scm...02&view=markup)

This file contains a general error description that can be edited by the user. The UI reads a python gdbm version of this file that is created by this script https://garage.maemo.org/plugins/scm...02&view=markup

Tags
carman