Active Topics

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Story of the first Jolla phone:

My website

GitHub

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Ehehehe, cheeky bugger, I wanna have a beer with Marxian one day, I reckon hilarity would ensue...
But it wouldn't be the same without Dave999 there, he'd be the one to take the blame if any trouble sparked-up & we needed a diversion

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Sorry for the totally OT post, but anyone considering a MS Surface or one of the other Windows RT/Pro devices?
http://www.microsoft.com/Surface/en-...help-me-choose
Personally I think I'll hold-off until the Windows 8 Pro devices are available...

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Sorry for the totally OT post, but anyone considering a MS Surface or one of the other Windows RT/Pro devices?
Personally I think I'll hold-off until the Windows 8 Pro devices are available...
Its Pro or no go...

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I'm going Pro!

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
I'm going Pro!
Yes Mr. Pro we know your opinion from your sig ...

Can we have a permanent sculpture dedicated to Dave which says "I'm the Pro" instead?

You know it would save the hassle of convincing everyone you are the pro

On second thought we could have one for all those "esteemed" participants in the most important competition of the year based on their rankings?

Last edited by thedead1440; 2012-10-29 at 17:13.

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Not even if I get one for free. Those ultra-closed platforms are becoming a trend. Yes I know, you can disable secure boot on Pro, but that's just not enough. The OS itself also becomes more and more closed. And only just recently Microsoft decided the (basic) dev-tools should be free not only for the Metro-style apps, as was their plan before.

People might not realize it, but this will affect every user eventually. Every app and change must be sanctioned by Microsoft, which means there will be stuff that will not make it. Yeah, obvious malware will be blocked, but also benevolent apps which alter the behavior of the OS in a very useful way.

Also, I reckon there will be less free apps, as the "pro"-versions of the dev-tools (which are needed if you get beyond the basics) are expensive.

Posted from closed source Opera running on Windows 7, for which I paid - I'm no opponent of closed, commercial software, but I am on closed systems and protocols.

Last edited by Fuzzillogic; 2012-10-29 at 18:11.

I certainly won't be getting anything with the windows 8 logo after using the preview edition. As long as my Touchpad and Win7/Ubuntu Laptop still hold out, I won't need to upgrade for sometime and my next desktop will be another home build.

On topic, has there been any further news on Jolla's new Asian offices at all? Would be nice if they had some sort of Grand Opening Ceremony and a few pics.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Thank you all for killing this thread with stuff about nothing related to Jolla

Instead of Windows 8 it should be called:

Windows L8

or maybe:

Windows 2L8

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla