Active Topics

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
After reading this thread and many others, I have to ask the following.

Given that:
1) Extras will be enabled by default in the first firmware update,
2) Warning everyone away from extras-testing and extras-devel,
3) The amount of effort the community is putting into protecting end users from potentially harming their device,

Should rootsh be removed from extras and pushed back to testing or devel?

Gaining root certainly has plenty of potential to brick or cripple a device easily, particularly in the hands of an end-user, and as many people have mentioned here, end-users shouldn't need root access anyway.

If it is located in Extras, and Extras is heavily promoted as the "safe" programs an end-user may mistake it a being a safe program to install. At least if it is located in testing or devel, the user should have a good idea that it is a potentially harmful program to install.

*EDIT* If a moderator feels this should be a separate thread, please move it.
if you only only install rootsh, so what? then you still have to open terminal and know how to gain root before you can do something wrong. with red pill you just select a wrong package (done that with os2008, wasn't nice at all...) and voila...
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Posts: 144 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Israel
Originally Posted by MrGrim View Post
So what exactly does this mode do?
Well, what I've read so far it seems that it turns your n900 into a nuke of some sort.
Either that or it makes your n900 wake up from its dreamy world where tablets rule the earth only to realize the fact that it's being used by the humans for their petty needs thus making it run and hide in the sewers to seek revenge. Maybe that's why there's no mms on the n900..

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Andre Klapper View Post
I'm looking forward to having red-pill mode completely removed.
Why? Wanna make the N900 an i-phone or an android? Where the big firm tells you what to do with your phone and what not?
In the 80s we were poking memory cells in the sharp pc-1401 (a programmable calculator), and today we are having fun with the n900, so what? Do you really believe much people are buing that expensive piece of hardware just to phone?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by SirTurbo View Post
Why? Wanna make the N900 an i-phone or an android? Where the big firm tells you what to do with your phone and what not?
In the 80s we were poking memory cells in the sharp pc-1401 (a programmable calculator), and today we are having fun with the n900, so what? Do you really believe much people are buing that expensive piece of hardware just to phone?
Clearly you, sir, don't have a clue what Red Pill mode does or the purpose it serves. Because, obviously, when you remove Red Pill you remove XTerm and hand over your power of attorney to Nokia.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 28 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Clearly you, sir, don't have a clue what Red Pill mode does or the purpose it serves. Because, obviously, when you remove Red Pill you remove XTerm and hand over your power of attorney to Nokia.
Oh, *I* even use the shell not sooo often.
only to handle files, restart demons and such things.
I donīt think that *i* need the red pill at this moment. But i just donīt like people saying "yeah, there are options - but better to remove them before YOU use them", people who want to limit the freedom of the people. If one wants limited freedom, there are WinMo and Android out there and the i(diot)phone...
I bought a maemo-device for having freedom as on my dektop-pcs... iīve not much pcs where debian is the only OS, but most of them have multiboot at least.
There has only to be a secure area/chip so that everyone killing his system can reflash and have a new beginning...

And sure - *some* people will cry when having played down the system and loosing data and worktime. so what? Someone may even drive his car in a field - so he has to draw it out from there again. Does anyone really wants to restrict the abilities of steering wheels?

And yeah - there is not so much information about what red pill is doing. So why give a man for it? and what is known at this place/thread so far doesnīt even sound very harmful btw. ...

The Following User Says Thank You to SirTurbo For This Useful Post:
I hope to know if user delete all files in internal flash, can they boot from sd card and reflash the system?

Posts: 10 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
I'm sure "end-uses" like me who find their way to this platform are responsible enough for making their own decissions wehter or not they are using, trying "red-pills"
IF the yfind their way here they also read the threads and are warned enough by the professionals here.
so let them do whatever they want but even let them try to help themself if they fail.
Each one of us handling the N900 should know what we baught us - each one uf us know that we got a miracle of an open system ond therfore the force and the risks of evan that open system.

Beleive in the responsibility of each of us...
I'm shure there will be only a few idiots out there using red-pills without knowing the side-effects of that kind of "technological medicine"

Tags
application manager, blue pill, danger, fremantle, howto, install, instructions, maemo, maemo 5, red pill, tutorial