Active Topics

Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by leon.anavi View Post
As as wrote earlier MoGateway is a beginning project for email to SMS gateway app for smartphones. It main target for the moment is Nokia N9
Mh, you might misspelled it. The beginner section is for new developers, not for new projects.

Sorry.

The Following User Says Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 543 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
Oh you better, it wouldn't be the same without atleast one application from you helex!
So kojacker, here you have: The worst Coding Competition contribution 2012!

Worth at least a trophy, isn't it?

Please DONATE if you like my work!
It's the best way to motivate me to create more stuff for your Device.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to helex For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jukra View Post
Hi folks!

2012 coding competition got me started finally to implement the software I have had on my mind for a while. My problem is that I would like to measure easily the input power of the wooden pellets burner that is used to warm our house.

This problem will be solved by graphical Biopower application for N900.

BioPower is partially derived work from Babyphone by Roman Morawek. However, BioPower's purpose of the use is totally different than Babyphone, so personally I see BioPower as a new application. So what do you think - may I enter the competition with BioPower?

Initially I placed BioPower in category Others, but it could also be in Desktop, System & Utilities. Is Others the correct category by your opinion? If not, what would be the correct choice?
Hey jukra, BioPower sounds pretty interesting Well, I don't see any reason why it can't take part assuming that it's not Babyphone with a name change or something like that You are expected to have done a certain amount of work on your application. But one of the advantages of open source software is that you can build upon libraries and code already out there to develop new and wonderful things. If you're happy enough to outline and be judged on the work you've completed I don't see why it can't be added as a new application.

Originally Posted by helex View Post
Kojacker... I had a really, really bad conscience during the summer... a coding competition done by zehjotkah and kojacker and I'm not participating.

So, I changed my mind... you asked for it and I took a single day off from work. Especially for you, kojacker. A single day to have something to submit. Only some hours to code and I must say, my N900-x-ray App was really, really useful compared to... ... ... ehm, my newest project.
That's the spirit helex!

But, searching badly the good news: I'm sure I will be unable to win anything this time. It is anyway not needed since I already have a Nokia N950 and more talented developers could do much more important (Mer & jolla) stuff with it than me.
Oh you're much too modest, i'm not believing a word of that

Originally Posted by helex View Post
So kojacker, here you have: The worst Coding Competition contribution 2012!

Worth at least a trophy, isn't it?
Haha.. it's certainly not the worst ever, and indeed it is worth a trophy! Unfortunately we don't have any trophy's as prizes, maybe you'll have to be content with something else

Looking through the descriptions on the wiki there are so many great applications coming our way

Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
We got a new donation by proprog

http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo.org_Codi...ity_Prize_Fund
Thanks proprog!

We have 650 Euros pledged thus far! Which reminds me, we need get these prizes locked down. There isn't that much feedback coming back, I might create some choices and leave it up to a forum poll or something. It's so important for us to be seen to have the right splits for the majority of maemo.org members, cos there's always one or two who come back with concerns after the competition end when you can't do anything about it.. GRRR!

Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
Mh, you might misspelled it. The beginner section is for new developers, not for new projects.

Sorry.
100% Helmuth, the beginner section is for those new to development and not for new projects by experienced Maemo/MeeGo developers.

Sorry Leon At the moment you have two entries, one as a beginner and one as a non-beginner. Presumably you'll be updating the MoGateway entry to non-beginner entry
  • leon.anavi (Leon Anavi) MoGateway Network & Communications 90% Y MeeGo Harmattan/Symbian
  • leon.anavi (Leon Anavi) location2sms Updates and development on existing apps 100% N MeeGo Harmattan/Symbian/Android

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2012-08-22 at 19:47.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
And another donation by Sap.

http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo.org_Codi...ity_Prize_Fund

Idea: Don't thank me for these donation posts, but find some posts from the donators and click "thanks" there.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Meta-thanks @ zehjotkah for the idea to thank the original donators.

On the other hand, the actual reason for this post is to notify you that I will be on vacation for the next two weeks until some time around 10th of September.
I dunno if this conflicts with the end of the competition and thus the counting of votes.
However, I will take care ASAP after my vacation to do the counting (given the competition already had ended).
Also note that essentially everyone should be able to do the counting process by following the steps as described on the wiki page.

Edit: Just remembered that I also donated. Completely forgot that. xD
Don't get me wrong, I was not advertising to thank me. I just found the idea of a meta-thanks (a thanks for a call for thanks to others, if you wanna see it that way) kinda funny at the moment I wrote the post.

Last edited by Wonko; 2012-08-24 at 20:38.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wonko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by Wonko View Post
On the other hand, the actual reason for this post is to notify you that I will be on vacation for the next two weeks until some time around 10th of September.
I dunno if this conflicts with the end of the competition and thus the counting of votes.
However, I will take care ASAP after my vacation to do the counting (given the competition already had ended).
Also note that essentially everyone should be able to do the counting process by following the steps as described on the wiki page.
Niels raised a concern with respect to conducting the vote for the Coding Competition. (His contract with Nokia has ended). Has this been relayed, or addressed yet, so that the Coding Competition can have a backup plan if necessary?

I think a substantial delay will be more problematic this time because the sourcing of the devices is dependent on Nokia and maemo.org is also preparing for a transfer from Nokia.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Niels raised a concern with respect to conducting the vote for the Coding Competition. (His contract with Nokia has ended). Has this been relayed, or addressed yet, so that the Coding Competition can have a backup plan if necessary?
This is the first I've heard of a possible problem with the voting, SD69, so thank you for bringing it to our attention. Last month I enquired about voting on the council thread and was advised that it should be fine, so I really wasn't expecting any problems But I understand things are changing around here...

We were expecting voting to commence some stage around middle of September. Are you able to provide us with some indication of the likelihood that we will not now be able to use the normal council voting mechanism? Is it still possible, or should we accept it is unlikely? We don't really know what is going on with the move away from Nokia so really we're relying on council to keep us informed

In terms of a Plan B, there is only polls on the maemo.org forum left as an option. Anything else will remove the voting and accountability away from maemo.org. You may remember from the first coding competition that there was controversy around the forum polls as multiple votes were being received from the same IP addresses, and members were asking friends to sign up and vote for their application. In that instance we requested the council and Reggie's help to adjust the results by removing duplicate IP votes and those new to the forum, and in the following year used the council voting mechanism to help reduce any possibility of fraud.

In case of needing to use the forum polls as our Plan B, we will require the help of Reggie and council. Reggie can run queries on the raw data retrieved from the site database, but the results will only be made available to council. As was the case back then, I would need to liaise with someone from council to receive the adjusted results. We would also need to allow Reggie the time to work through the polls as there is a lot of information to get through and it's important it isn't rushed.

So I think my questions back to council would be the following:
  • How likely is it that we will require a Plan B for voting?
  • Is there any reason you can see that we couldn't fall back on forum polls as our Plan B?
  • Would council be able to reach out to Reggie to check willingness/availability to adjust the polls? (I can reach out, but it keeps it official through you guys..)
  • I'll need a point of contact on council to work with Reggie to retrieve the results and provide them, or a subset of the results, for announcing as winners. Will that be ok?

Originally Posted by Wonko View Post
Around 10th of September works out well as the competition closes then, but there's voting on follow on after. So depending what happens with the voting (see the latest news from SD69 above ..) we could still be using your brain power - so make sure you get plenty of rest on your vacation

And big thanks to Wonko, Sap, and OVK for the donations - much appreciated

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2012-08-25 at 00:24.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 560 | Thanked: 423 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Switzerland
So, there are only 2 weeks left until end of submission but there is still no submission page available?
CacheMe 4 the N9, a geocaching client / MiniBible, a bible viewer / TheWord brings daily bible verses onto your phone / BatteryGraph to monitor the battery drainage / doublepress2unlock to unlock your phone with a double press onto the power button / GPRS Data Usage to monitor your GPRS data usage /
and more...

On N900 check out this: SleepAnalyser to analyse your sleep movements / PasswordMaker a for a password generator

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to caco3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Exactly what I was asking myself the last 2 weeks! Would have come with that question too today.

Will there be asubmission page?
Or will the wiki page announce and fremante repos be enough?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:

Tags
happy new year, mcc2012, merry christmas